Monday, December 27, 2004

Sometimes I feel like crying...

Yes, I'm using Diana DeGarmo's Emotional again. One of the lines from the song. The other time I used it here was 'Sometimes I get emotional...'. I had actually wanted to use that line again because of what happened these two days.

Unless you guys had been living under the rock or still reliving from your Christmas celebrations, there has been a major earthquake coming from this side of the world that I live in the day after Christmas. The continent which has almost half of the world's population- Asia. Well, it's actually called a tusnami. As according to Yahoo News, it's 'a series of traveling ocean waves generated by geological disturbances near the ocean floor. With nothing to stop them, the waves can race across the ocean like the crack of a bullwhip, gaining momentum over thousands of miles.' It's quite serious and it's measured 9.0 on the Richter scale. Not the 8.9 I knew yesterday. Death toll so far? 20,900.

Why I state all those facts and figures is because it actually started in Indonesia (which is our neighbour down south, you know) and the effects had spread to places like Malaysia (also our neighbour but up north), Thailand, India, Maldives, Thailand, Sri Lanka. Indonesia and Sri Lanka are the worst hit where many of the causalties being reported come from these two places.

This has like certainly hit home for me since the SARS outbreak early last year. I mean, I do know of people coming from those countries I mentioned! I got a few of my ex-classmates coming from Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia. My former secondary school teacher who taught my class Physics last year (and who is also my form teacher then), she came from Malaysia. But now she resides in Singapore and so I guess she's okay, unless she returned home to Kuala Lumpur (the capital of Malaysia) to visit her family. Kuala Lumpur has been affected with the tremors as well. And wait, I got relatives living in Malaysia too! It's like I can't do anything but to hope they are okay.

Singapore, being in the middle of Malaysia and Indonesia, is being affected but by the tremors. Only a few areas in the country got affected by that. The area where my family and I live, we are not being affected. We are fine. You can say I'm lucky but then when I saw those horrific images on the TV news, I always wanted to cry. I had been watching nothing but the news almost the entire day, except when I'm on here, having meals or toilet breaks.

And I think I heard over the news on the radio before having my dinner that we got a casualty coming from my country. It's a 13-year-old who is with her family in India to visit her relatives there and she was being killed, together with her Indian cousin. The two bodies were found and had already been buried. I need to confirm this by watching the TV news tonight. But other than that, Singaporeans who are in the affected areas had already reported safe.

Now I don't know whether I will have the mood to enjoy watching Arrested Development come 12 midnight on Channel 5. It's a comedy, I know. It's showing here on Mondays (although should be Tuesdays because of midnight) and it's the second episode tonight. Oh well...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...