Saturday, June 24, 2006

Do you get what I get?

My father almost loudly declared that girls never understand football. I almost yelled and retailated back. I have to do that because my brother joined in too.

It all began as a case of me loudly declaring that I will never able to understand whatever the heck is an offside. Because of the disputed second goal in the Switzerland-Korea match (the Swiss went to the round of 16 after that) report on CNA early this morning. I was taking a break from using the computer and watched together with my father on some of the match highlights which happened last night and early this morning. When the clip of the Switzerland-Korea match came along, my father almost loudly declared at once (that moment came on) that the second goal should not be counted because of the offside and I almost wanted to ask him whatever the heck till he said he would explained it after all the highlights ended for the other match reports.

So okay, maybe even after the explanation my father gave to me using illustrations, I am still a little...tad confused. Because to me, as long as someone got the ball and kicked into the net, that is the end of the story. Why have to add in offside and whatever the heck? Makes so many out there like me so clueless altogether especially when the action on the pitch is so fast before you can say 'Goal!!!'.

I mean, girls can really play some football too. I am not talking about myself though. Back in my secondary school days, it's the best example. Seeing a few of my female classmates kicking the ball around during PE sessions makes me feel that I should not 'mess with them'. Haha.

Maybe after all these years like what I told my brother yesterday, I still don't know what is football. Because he and I were having heated arguments yesterday over what has been happening so far in the World Cup and almost everyone's displeasure over the English squad and his loud declaration for the Brazilian side. Too much 'love' over that latter...is literally killing my ears! I argued that all along I have this 'supporting-the-underdog' mentality (if there is a chance) and everyone is treating as if England had already reached the final and they lost out. My analogy to my brother over all the displeasure from those who had seen how England play so far in this World Cup at Germany.

This is only like the halfway mark (round of 16 matches starts later tonight here at local time and England is tomorrow against Ecuador) and I kept emphasising to my brother - 'Give them a break.' People keep setting high standards especially from the press...I know. But then it's a little too high, I dare say. I know it's been 40 years since the English team lifted the cup. Maybe all along I just don't get it and so I said that. Which led me to my outcry and dismayal at times over our local press reporting on the World Cup. Whatever the international press are saying (including the British press because this concerns the England squad), they will join in too. Can't they see things from another side? Really, at times I feel like tearing my father's ST (YES, I TELL YOU!) up whenever I read those damn reports and comments on the England team nowadays. I almost feel like screaming.

Ever since I heard and read about those movie reviews for The Da Vinci Code, I had already learnt not to trust so much from the press - anymore. I even declared to my father then that those so-called movie critics who watched the movie and reviewed it on the papers (giving not-so-nice reviews eventually) are just using the papers' space just to see their name only. I really wondered if those who reviewed it did read the book beforehand to get the idea. I know strangely back then when Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire movie came out and when I heard about those also mixed movie reviews, I never reacted too strongly till The Da Vinci Code movie came along.

If I want to believe every single piece of shit on what the papers are reporting nowadays, I will be an real idiot. Taking it with a pinch of salt is what I had been doing especially since those 'rude awakenings' in my History and Social Studies classes. Imagine if back then Mathematics is not part of the requirements to study mass communications or maybe media studies in my post-secondary days, I will take up at once. I will then rant whatever I want on what is really pissing me off these days, with trying not to cross the line. To think maybe being in the media industry was what I really seriously wanted back then and now I am saying all these things.

Really.

ETA: Oh yeah, I talk about the living room's TV in my previous post. It's being repaired already when the StarHub Cable Vision people came yesterday afternoon. Just imagine my father's pure happiness that he can watch the World Cup matches again. Ha.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...