Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ending the mother of all 'records'

I can't stand the look on my father's face after the final whistle has been blown. But then again, his prediction went right this time. I will have to learn to deal with it for probably the rest of my life if he ever reminds me that Spain won Euro 2008.

Si (yes in Spanish), Spain - Campeones (champions). Though the final scoreline in Vienna on Sunday was Germany 0-1 Spain, it was a convincing 0-1 to Spain. Fernando Torres's goal in the 33rd minute did the eventual damage but also at the same time for the Spanish national team, ending a 44-year wait for another major title (the 1964 version which was also held at their backyard was the last time they had ever won something major). They came so close 24 years ago but it was Michel Platini's France which extended their trophy drought. Si, it's really Spain! The infamous 'perennial underachievers', 'chokers' tags to a side where on the club level, constantly having clubs represented in the Champions League (though Real Madrid was the last Spanish club to have won the Champions League in 2002)...can more or less be put to rest.

I still remembered what the eventual hero in Vienna was saying after his team arrived at their training base for the tournament that though they may be the last to arrive (they had an international friendly against the USA before that), they will not be the first to leave. One may feel a little cynical then given the state of the Spanish national team at that time but, 'El Nino' probably saw it coming. This tournament was supposed to be his time to shine after a good maiden season at Liverpool and it happened in the final. It might had been his strike partner on the national team David Villa (who also ended the tournament as the top goalscorer with four goals) who stole the headlines but when the Valencia striker was unfortunately injured in the match against Russia in the semi-finals, it became Torres who emerged of Villa's shadow.

Okay, I know I support Germany but, Spain really played their football in Vienna. I know initially Germany has most of the possession but other than the occasional near-misses in the second-half, Spain deserved their win. Definitely a model for the beautiful game (which the now-former Spain coach Luis Aragones said after the match) which the purists will approve. And for the man who has won the tournament as the most oldest coach (overtaking Otto Rehhagel four years ago), it's just the beginning for Spain. For Aragones on a personal scale, though he was not part of the 1964-winning squad, he felt part of it just like the players on the bench did (Aragones was in his 20s back then and he was part of the squad who played in the qualifiers and given the use of substitutes was still not in the frame then, which is why of what he said, 44 years on). Luis Aragones's more younger German counterpart Joachim Loew was gracious in defeat, with no arguments over the final result. When I was watching the news report of the final on CNA yesterday, there was one photo which stood out for me (apart from Spain winning) and it's the same photo Reuters used on Loew saying that he is satisfied with his side. One of those images which will stuck with me for life. For some reason after seeing that photo from Vienna, given I was not aware of it until I read about his CV, I want to know how he reacted exactly a decade ago when his VfB Stuttgart side lost to Chelsea in the now-defunct Cup Winners' Cup in Stockholm (his last major coaching achievement until now). When it was also the same year when I was a Primary Five student, eventually marked a turning point for me on personally on how I view the English language, thanks to the English teacher I had then.

As for the guys who were part of the action on the Vienna pitch? Real Madrid and Germany defender Christoph Metzelder (who had said few days before the match that Spain 'would struggle under the pressure of attempting to win their first European title for 44 years' given his side has been there, done that) he took his hat off to his opponents. For the now VfB Stuttgart goalkeeper Jens Lehmann (as for the goal he conceded...I rather see it as Spain's Fernando Torres 'outrun' Germany defender Philipp Lahm though I remembered the commentator was saying like 'What was Jens Lehmann doing?'; 'outrun' being the word my father used), he admitted his side were in shock. As for his future in international football, he only said that it was definitely his last European Championship match. For Liverpool and Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso, the win was just as good as when Liverpool won in the dramatic Champions League over AC Milan in 2005 (back then, Liverpool came from 3-0 down to level before winning the title on penalties). I can guarantee Spain's win will make up for the runner-up medal Cesc Fabregas got two years ago when he was part of the Arsenal side which lost to Barcelona in the Champions League final. According to the guys who were part of the winning squad immediately after the final whistle, the success will take time to sink in.

Madrid (Spain's capital) and the rest of Spain was celebrating with fans chanted "Viva Espana". Let's not take anything away from the Spainards given a 44-year wait has finally ended, and they even beaten the side which is so used to appearing and winning on such a scale (I can understand Spain's delight given for us here in Singapore, it has been freaking 48 years since we last had an Olympic medal and since the 2000 version, the newspapers always reminded us the last time we won and asked if this is our time at last and we came so close especially in 2004...it's one heck of a big deal for us and so, we shall see in Beijing next month). The Spanish press sees a 'new era' in Spanish football after the triumph in Viena with them also saluting their heroes while the German media just simply acknowledged that Spain were simply the best. The European media generally as a whole, congratulated Spain for their win. Spain might be celebrating after the final whistle but, unfortunately there were also arrests and deaths occuring in Madrid. Arrests were also made in Germany with 10 people. The Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero (who was among those in attendance in Vienna) is now setting his sights on the 2010 World Cup for Spain.

The day after all the action in Vienna, even more reactions. Leading the pack for his teammates, Spain captain and goalkeeper Iker Casillas reflecting on banishing the many ghosts of the past. Especially the quarter-final jinx (England, you are next!). For a football club that 'sells entertainment' (that was what one of the ESPN Asia's analysts was saying after Manchester United beat Chelsea on penalties during the Champions League final on what United had always done all along), manager Sir Alex Ferguson saying that Spain's win is a triumph for the game (given they play football the purists will love). Germany defender Christoph Metzelder has told his teammates to target the 2010 World Cup. For Metzelder's national coach, the lessons learned from the loss in Vienna will help Germany's 2010 World Cup campaign. The German national team actually arrived in Berlin the day after the final to a heroes' welcome. More on Spain's triumphant return on the Euro 2008-relating news (and more on the mood in Berlin) hopefully in my next post given I want to have my thoughts on the final. Before that, the honours roll for the previous winners including the winner for the 2008 edition plus photos of the final.

I had originally planned to update this yesterday but then when I was on the verge of doing it, my mother ordered me to switch it off (it's a fact, I had been using too much Internet since Euro 2008 began but...). After thinking and re-thinking and analysing and re-analysing, I had so many thoughts. Time to stop thinking winning is a formality given there are others who are not so fortunate all the time. It's time to think that one has to learn to accept that defeat is actually also part and parcel of sport. By German standards, a 12-year wait for another European a little too long (while their English rivals only have the 1966 World Cup trophy to show for it) and a quarter-final exit is a total disgrace (which is why I am never surprised at them taking potential digs at their English counterparts...given I am an England supporter too at the same time). How about Spain? They waited slightly longer than England!

Spain's win (now they share with France of winning the European title twice with Germany still top with thrice) has given other nations like England hope that they too, can also do something. Fabio Capello, I am looking at you. Us England supporters has been suffering way too long. If I have to really speak as someone who support England only, time we show our German counterparts we can achieve something too. I know the news agencies has been kind of harsh and critical of Germany's Eur0 2008 campaign but even as someone who support Germany as well, a definite wake-up call and remember that summer fairytales don't last forever. To admit, the guys were actually better two years ago during the World Cup than at this Euro 2008. I am suspecting the media was partly at fault (not the news agencies, I mean) for saying the trophy is coming home since 1996 after a good journey in the qualification rounds.

And I wonder how come coach Joachim Loew actually brought on Mario Gomez in about less than 15 minutes left to the final whistle. Okay, substitute Kevin Kuranyi did had attempts and I gave him credit for it. Gomez...I know other than he is half-Spanish through his father, unless he redeemed himself, even me as a VfB Stuttgart supporter (Gomez plays for my club), I wondered why was he in the squad in the first place. Many fans have high hopes of him to shine but he never lived up to expectations at all. I don't know if it's the pressure.

If the final in the Austrian capital of Vienna has anything to teach us, I can only think of two - Consistency. Experience. Spain has been the only side being consistent throughout the tournament (they beat the 2004 champions Greece, the current world champions and their bogey team Italy, beaten Russia twice, beating the team which has always been a usual suspect in the final of such tournaments - Germany). Watching my team Germany in this tournament is like...watching England before Fabio Capello came in. I know I may be harsh but, look where inconsistency has led Germany to. The now-former Spain coach Luis Aragones has coached many Spanish clubs before the big job (like how Marcello Lippi was like before the Azzuri job...a number of Serie A clubs first). In England, it might led to almost horrors that someone who had a modest coaching career is taking on the big one (I am referring to Aragones's German counterpart). Two years ago, Germany even proved everyone wrong that it does not matter if you didn't coach even a club beforehand in the form of Juergen Klinsmann (who is now officially the new Bayern Munich coach).

This time round, does a former assistant really make a good coach? English experience will definitely say a 'No!'. But I rather see it as whether the coach has tactical nous. And whether the coach is brave enough to make any decisions (Spain's Aragones dared to drop the favourite Real Madrid's Raul from the squad). True, Germany midfielder Bernd Schneider was missed (I missed his presence in the squad as well) but his case was unfortunate given he could not be fit in time for Euro 2008. Now to think of it, he will be considered old by the time the 2010 World Cup comes around (he's already in his 30s). Borussia Mönchengladbach's 19-year-old Marko Marin was a serious contender for the final 23-man Germany squad before he was dropped. Maybe the little wonder can make a difference if he was added but what if...? I had grown to like Marin when he was initially part of the provisional 26-man squad.

As what England coach Fabio Capello once famously said something like (this was before the England job came about), you are only as good as your last game. And as what Croatia coach Slaven Bilic said after his side lost to Turkey in the quarter-finals, the sun will still rise again. I had been through many ups and downs before in life and I might had grumbled at times and even to the extent at times wondering if I am still worthy being on Earth (before remembering I was on the brink of death more than once), I still get on with my life. I may not be a Christian but, God put me in this world for a reason. I hope it's the same for the German national team. Just take it as a lesson learned, guys.

In my third voice - Diana, the sun will still rise again even Germany had lost the Euro 2008 to the deserving winners Spain. You have to learn to deal with it, like how you deal with your own life.

Spain's non-galaticos deliver deserve triumph (How Spain's Euro 2008 victory was won)

From winning mentality to runner-up mentality (But, time was - the last two Euros aside - when Germany were expected at least to reach the final. Anything less was verging on defeatism - in stark contrast to the cheers which accompany England teams who actually make it to the tournament proper. For Die Mannschaft, England-style quarter-final exits would constitute disgrace - albeit that being a fate they have not suffered very often. As Die Welt broadsheet summed up defeat with the words "disappointment but not desperation" it was left to Bild to pose uncomfortable questions.)

Spain put their "black legend" to bed with Euro win (After 44 long years - virtually as long as the trophy drought still afflicting England - Spain finally threw off their chains on Sunday in winning the European Championship, beating Germany with a Fernando Torres strike. The expression "Black Legend" normally goes hand-in-hand with the Spanish inquisition - but for fans of the Furia Roja it referred - until now - to the team's consistent showing of great promise only to fail, usually in the quarter-finals, ever since their only previous triumph at Euro 64.)

Loew misses chance to join German greats (Joachim Loew missed out on the chance to add his name to the trio of Germany coaches who have won a European title when his side lost 1-0 to Spain in Sunday's Euro 2008 final. The 48-year-old has earned plenty of praise from the German media at Euro 2008 having inspired an average Germany side to reach the Vienna final after just two years in charge having been predecessor Jurgen Klinsmann's assistant. He had aimed to follow in the path of Bertie Vogts who steered Germany to the Euro 1996 title after current German team manager Oliver Bierhoff won the tournament with a golden goal against the Czech Republic at Wembley.)

Aragones the mastermind behind Spain's Euro success (Luis Aragones's tenure as national coach came to a glorious and deserving conclusion on Sunday with Spain's success over Germany in the Euro 2008 final. Approaching his 70th birthday he became the oldest coach to win the European title but he must have shed half his years as he watched captain Iker Casillas hold aloft the coveted Cup which Spain has only held in its hands once before in 1964. Aragones had warned bleakly on the eve of the final that "no one remembers who comes second" - well he needn't have worried as Fernando Torres's first half goal ensured the world and his wife will recall his Spanish team for many a year to come.)

Ballack's silverware heartache continues (Having lost May's Champions League final with Chelsea, Michael Ballack again suffered silverware heartbreak on Sunday as Germany lost the Euro 2008 final 1-0 to Spain. After the Blues missed out to Manchester United in Moscow, Germany captain Ballack tasted bitter defeat for the second time in as many months in Vienna as a first-half strike by Liverpool's Fernando Torres broke German hearts. Sunday's defeat was not the first time in his career Ballack has lost a European final to Spanish opposition.)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...