Monday, June 26, 2006

Entertainment and World Cup chat

I actually cannot help but smile at the news of Nicole Kidman's wedding as I was reading the papers this morning. She is just so blissfully happy from the pictures being shown!

I know I am sounding like one of those fans, but then she is one of those I have always deemed so pretty no matter what. Especially after since her divorce with Tom Cruise (imagine I was like one of those in the world who were surprised at the news because many had knew they make the perfect Hollywood couple at that time) about a decade or so ago, she is no longer in her ex-husband's shadow.

You know what people say of Hollywood female celebrities who emerged from their divorce's shadows. They tend to shine even more. Nicole Kidman is one. Jennifer Anniston is another. Since her divorce with Brad Pitt (ah, that is actually another perfect Hollywood couple but no more), Jenn has moved on to bigger things in her career.

It's funny when in football, views and opinions always changed overnight whenever something happened on the pitch. Talk about the general British media sentiments from what I know, everyone had been wondering has the England squad really did their best each time in Germany in this World Cup...and, captain David Beckham had finally proven some of the critics wrong about him and his ability in football lately. I know what it meant actually.

After all, the round-of-16 match which saw England pitching against Ecuador which was on the cable last night here at local time, Becks was the one who scored the only goal in the match during one of his trademark free kicks. It happened during the second half of the match. I saw the first half with my father and brother though. Funny when I saw the match then, I was on tenterhooks and not so much on the Germany-Sweden match maybe because I knew the host nation will beat Sweden for sure on the first round-of-16 match.

So how I knew of the England-Ecuador match final results? Actually I was reading in the bedroom and my sister wanted to head for bed (school reopens today for her and my brother) and she asked me to go out. So I had to bring the two dictionaries I was having with me, together with my handphone and the book I was reading (Edith Wharton's short-story collection of 'Roman Fever and Other Stories')...all out into the dining room. While trying hard not to pay attention to what is going on at the England-Ecuador match which my brother and father was still watching. By how, listening to the radio and reading at the same time in the dining room. Then...the jubilation happened. I was heaving a sigh of relief when I saw what was going on!

I had only briefly read what was the general reaction from the ST this morning. I don't even want to talk much about it anymore. As long as some of the British press have started to see how Becks has especially proved his worth on the pitch, maybe when facing Portugal (that will be in the quarter finals), the England squad will claim back what is theirs from the events of Euro 2004. Two years back, they met Portugal in the quarter-finals and they lost out to them. Who was the coach of Portugal then? Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Now if that name sounds familar, yes, he is still the coach for the Portugal team at the moment in this World Cup. Four years back to 2002 when the World Cup was at Japan/South Korea, or I should say in Japan because it's where England had their matches, Scolari was the coach for the Brazil squad and England met them in the quarter-finals (ha...the thing with England and quarter-finals...lol) and everyone knows what happened to Brazil eventually. Maybe for those who remembered about the last World Cup.

I had emphasised to Dad after the outcome of the Argentina-Mexico match which was reported on the news yesterday that Germany must beat Argentina because given I know my own father remembered the 1986 World Cup when the events of when England met Argentina like as if it happened only yesterday. So, the reason for the paragraph before the previous one. England must beat Portgual. At all costs.

Through legal means, hey!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...