Eeeee. Ah!!!!!! And there are two reasons why I am like this (the 2006 World Cup, the England-Germany friendly next month). Exactly 365 days ago today, the football World Cup opens in Munich, Germany. And don't get me started on the opening match. I still remembered the final score was 4-2 to the host nation (they were playing against Costa Rica). The thing is...I never watched it.
But you know what happened later on. Like a guy trying to woo a girl, it took me a while to fall in love with the host nation team. I almost 'abandoned' my first 'love' - the England national team (quick thought - Did I really love them in the beginning, other than knowing almost everyone on the squad thanks to the English Premier League? But, what a newbie to international football know?). How I even commented once (forgot watching what match with my father though) that I rather watched the German national team playing anytime. How I even flipped through my brother's History textbook during those football crazy times! But it's to refresh my memory on what I studied about Germany back in then in those Secondary Three and Four's History lessons.
And also, I think my hair actually also almost stood a few times in those football-crazy days. When watching a clip out of 'Germany: A Summer Fairytale' on Deustche Welle (it was then-national coach Juergen Klinsmann and his pep talk to the squad and it was real loud...a big contrast to the always-smiling man to the media). And just recently (will you believe I am so pathetic as to watch all the three broadcasts of the ESPN's Sportscenter Asia on Thursday - the 7.30pm, 10.30pm and the 12.30am versions) when I was watching the Euro 2008 highlights on ESPN Sportscenter Asia, I was almost taken aback that it was showing the Germany-Slovakia highlights! One corner of me was wondering is it because maybe given Germany is heading to Wembley in August for that friendly against England, and so it's time to see how the would-be opponents are faring in their qualifiers. When it was showing the scene of Germany national coach Joachim Loew standing up and being estactic and hugging his coaching staff (this was after Germany scored the second goal), this was going through in my head - Hope he can do that come August 22 at the Wembley. Yeah, being very diplomatic. Final score of the Germany-Slovakia game - 2-1.
I don't know. When I saw that reaction, I almost said - I swear, this is Klinsmann! The then-national coach had plenty of actions during the World Cup last year whenever his side scored a goal or almost did. My first impression of Loew (when he became the national coach) is that he is the no-nonsense kind of guy.
I was watching the repeat (the first-half only though) of the Germany-Slovakia game (given I only saw the second half on the same-day telecast, at around the 56th minute or so) yesterday and when I saw that scene again, it returned (The thought of - Hope he can do that come August 22 at the Wembley). If I want to be really diplomatic, I shouldn't be saying anything. All bets are off! Don't ask me on whom I think will win in August. My father is saying a 2-1 win to England and my brother's prediction is a little...outrageous. Let's just end it at there. I will be happy if either side wins. I will be happy too if it turns out to be a draw. My father's recent football predictions had been (eerily) accurate and the latest was the Estonia-England one where he correctly predicted a 3-0 win to England. Now you know why I brought this up ahead of that showdown in Wembley in August.
"Any team coming to Wembley has got to fear us the way we're playing at the moment." (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/06062007/1/mcclaren-tallinn-test-tricky.html)
Straight out of the mouth of the England coach Steve McClaren. Though he was actually referring to England's remaining Euro 2008 qualifiers where four out of the five matches will be held at the Wembley, my mind immediately turned to the German national football team. Especially McClaren's counterpart. Both sides have to wait till September before qualifiers resume for them respectively. Before that, it's Wembley time.
Coincidentally, Germany was the last country to playing against England at the old Wembley in a World Cup qualifier (1-0 to Germany). Football rarely gets as exciting as this (after the England-Brazil friendly). And I am not saying it just because I support the English and the German national teams. Back then I have to give my father this hint - 'Remember the 5-1 thing?', he then knew whom England is going to meet for a friendly in August. World Cup 2002 qualifiers, England and Germany in the same qualifying group. The venue: Munich. England has just gotten a new coach at the helm (Sven-Goran Eriksson) after former Liverpool and Hamburg player Kevin Keegan quitted in the wake of the 1-0 loss at the Wembley. It's the year 2001.
It eventually became something my England-supporter father remembered forever: Germany 1-5 England. Just like his favourite club Manchester United's famous injury-time comeback against Bayern Munich in the Champions League final two years beforehand in 1999.
So, what led to 'Big Mac' (Steve McClaren) saying that? The final score of the Euro 2008 qualifiers for England when they were in Tallinn, Estonia - Estonia 0:3 England. And two of England's goals were created by David Beckham. Something which pleases the under-fire England boss. Now the issue is: there's two more matches in the current La Liga season before Becks head to the US to play for LA Galaxy. He had said once something like he will fly around the world to play for England. But that has to depend on how he is until next month. I'm secretly wishing (yes, I am) he will appear against Germany.
The only Group D (where England is) qualifying match in August is between Estonia and Andorra. As for now, Israel scored two against Andorra. Croatia and Russia held to a goaless draw. Looking at the Group D standings, England may be still fourth but at least, they are starting to find themselves on the qualifying campaign. Becks could be the reason why England may qualify after all. And he could be the reason why Steve McClaren's job is saved in the end.
While the English had always viewed their football rivalry against Germany as among the major ones (other than Argentina), the Germans see it differently. To the Germans, the rivlary with the Dutch national football team is more important. Whatever it is, I am seeing two of my most favourite football teams in a friendly clash exactly seven days after my birthday.
I'm going to be diplomatic on August 22. I am trying hard to. It's like a case of two guys who are trying to woo me and I have to decide only either one. But who? The one I had knew all along (England)...or the one whom came quite late into my life (Germany)? Errr...