Sunday, March 25, 2007

Trying to believe

I felt somehow vindicated (though I am a little worried). I felt relieved (though I am a little pissed off). Is England started to see defeat in the face? Is Germany a potential favourite to win the Euro 2008?

Well, judging from what I see and know, it almost looks that way. I had actually wanted to wake up at around 3.30am and watch the second-half of the Israel-England match, given I slept at 12.30am. Ended up I woke up at 4am. The second-half was already well under-way. And when I woke up...huh, a goaless draw at the moment? My father even regretted waking up and watch the match. There were two times when England was being denied of scoring because the (damn) offside rule! If not, there is still hope of qualifying next year. It's that damn rule which my father even casually commented on my dislike which happened way before that match.

Now it's like being hanging on a thread. Look at the other results of the same group: Estonia 0-2 Russia, Croatia 2-1 Macedonia. I know later in the week, England will meet Andorra in Spain. Barcelona, to be exact. Why there is because given of Andorra's stadium size...yeah. Even if England win against the minnows once more (by right they should), they are still third. Unless something happens to the other national teams whom are in the same qualifying group as them. And only two from each group qualify to be in Austria and Switzerland next year.

After the Israel-England match ended at around 4.25am, I channel-surfed (and even watched a little of the Holland-Romania qualifying match SuperSports Plus), watched the Teletext. And half an hour later, I went to bed again. Thinking how will the most aniticpated match from Group D: Czech Republic-Germany will go. It might had already started as I was about to sleep! I will be sleeping through the match again. Damn the cable TV never showing it live. They mainly always show Germany's matches, qualifying ones or not, on a 'same-day telecast' format. Back then the Germany-Switzerland friendly was on a same-day telecast even which I was lucky to watch it (started at 6am, local time).

When I woke up later on at 8.30am, I began to ask about all those match results which I wanted to know to my father. And the moment my father and my brother was talking about which side won in the Czech Republic-Germany match, I rolled my eyes. The two went into 'karang guni' (rag-and-bone man, the one who collects old newspapers and junk at the HDB apartments). I knew they were referring to the one who was being overlooked during the World Cup last year - Kevin Kuranyi. Must be the surname that got my father and brother kind of twisted around. They are like that.

2-1 to the Germans eventually. They had maintained of still being the leader of their qualifying group! And damn, I never get to watch all that live action. I have to wait for the repeat telecast later this afternoon. It's an away match even for the Germans, and the Czechs know how to put on a show. What I want to know is that, how did Slovakia managed to win over a 10-man Cyprus (1-3 to Cyprus) when Germany drew with the latter last year? I know I did saw the match report for that one as well, but it's pretty...amazing.

If the Germans can get past the Czechs, they can get pass anyone now in their group. And at the rate they are going at the moment, they can travel to their neighbours (Austria and Switzerland are neighbours to Germany) next year for the European Championships and can win it.

And Scotland has been on a roll! 2-1 against Georgia. They will meet Italy next and it will be a tricky one for the latter. For Scotland is the leader in their qualifying group and Italy is fourth with a game less. The Scots had been moving up fast in the FIFA rankings and it's not something we see everyday. France had managed a win over Lithuania (1-0 to them), even though Thierry Henry is not around for the Les Bleus because his injury.

Now as much I still want to believe in England, I am very worried. Steve McClaren could be on the verge of being (horrors!) sacked. Spain's Luis Aragones had managed to live to see another day after his side win over Denmark in their qualifying match with a 2-1 win given of Spain's dismal performances (and not in the top two position). It has been said for Aragones's case that if his side don't win over Denmark, he will get the chop.

I don't want to come to a day when I don't want to support England, anymore. I once mentioned about this worse-case scenario. I am aware that maybe they may meet Germany on August 22 (a week after my birthday) for a friendly at the newly-renovated Wembley.

The England and Italy U-21 match, I did watched live from Star Sports last night. Though not entirely though. It's the newly-renovated Wembley and I saw some seats were not occupited. Imagine come August 22, it will be a different thing altogether.

For now, don't ask me which national team I really like. England and Germany...as much I want to say the latter, I better keep quiet for now.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...