You don't always associate Mid-Atummn with rain, you know. But then it happened early this morning.
When Dad's car was at the juncture of my school, we noticed a rubbish bin being toppled over. Looks like there were strong winds very early this morning when it rained. And Dad was jokingly saying it was because of, Katrina. Hurricane Katrina. Oh my. I almost giggled. Mother was wondering what Dad was referring to till he explained and she knew it. But then in the wake of this, I understand that stuff like these can be sensitive. I just told Dad jokingly in the car that it's so unlikely a typhoon has hit here! Which is, true for Singapore's case.
Reading yesterday's edition of The Straits Times and in the Sports section where there was an article about sports in schools, the honours roll had been released for the various secondary and teritary school's sporting scene! Dad told me that he was not surprised that the ACS (I) - Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), for short, was dominating the list. Because of their school's sporting history and they were the first school to have a swimming pool before even the top school in the country Raffles Institution has it, as according to Dad. Initally I thought I cannot find my alma mater on the list for the case of judo before I went to read it carefully. Aha! We were among the top 4! Wahoo!!!!!!! If I have to talk about my alma mater BPS, it will be judo that is making ex-students like me proud of something that my school can achieve. Because yes, we are a neighbourhood school but hey, we had quite a tradition of judo because it was first initated by our very first principal of the school!
So imagine me grinning like heck when back then the MOE announced that they will scrapped the school ranking system altogether and modify it such that anyone is able to find out a certain's secondary school's strengths, like say the CCA that the school is traditionally best at. For BPS, it's judo we can claim the fame. Ha ha! At least something I can tell anyone about my alma mater becaus of results-wise, yes I dare to say our English passess at O Levels annually beat the national average. That is about, all. My alma mater raised the English standards in school to the best they can and produced positive results. But we never forgot the other O-Level subjects too.
It's like a blessing in disguise for me, coming from two schools (KCPPS and that) which placed great importance over the English language. Soo Hong had always told me my English is good. Okay, I accept that! But then I guessed partly it's because of my alma maters. *grin*
You know in the view of local bloggers (yes, you hear me right folks) being charged in court over sensitive comments they made on online forums and their own blog (in the case for the latest case yesterday), now I am like asking myself once again - are we saying really the correct stuff online? Okaaay, don't you all look at me like that! My blog had been pretty much of mundane things - stuff on my daily life and the events happening around me. That has been my purpose of having this blog from the start and nothing else. Just read the posts and you will understand. If I need to talk about something that may be affecting most of the world (because of the oil prices), like the case of Hurricane Katrina, I had been pretty careful over what I want to say here. It's a sensitive thing, you know.
But then really, occasionally when I reading other people's blogs (especially like those of my generation) when I'm bored, I always seemed to be having a reality check of my own. What on earth am I writing? For many like say the teens (which are my peers), other than maybe about school life, it's about with their friends and the...BGR (boy-girl relationship), and the like. And my blog? I quoted newspapers so often! I blurted out the BGR comment yesterday over at the dinner because of the TV news reporting of the latest charges and Dad saying I have to be careful of what I say online, Dad was like wondering what was I referring BGR to. I was stumped for a moment. I thought Dad might had heard of this term? Never mind. Alvin who was eating too just giggled and we explained to Dad what it meant and he understood.
Oh well. It's still in the end how people like me control what we have to say without interferring other's interests. It's so much of the basics!
So I say I often quoting newspapers on my blog here, like The Straits Times. Hey, that is the newspaper that Dad subscribed, you know! The main newspaper of this country. And after Alvin heard that over dinner, he sniggered. I knew that was coming. Dad spoke up, saying that it's good thing after all as students have to read newspapers to be abreast of the things around them. And I want to break off from the stereotype that students from good schools only do that and not for neighbourhood school students. This is the kind of thing I had been sensing myself. I so hate it.
It's Mid-Atummn Festival today (so the title for today, duh) and already yesterday I saw the neighbours' kids playing with the lanterns and the coloured lighters. Eh, unless you get what I mean there for the latter. I don't really know the name of it. So that prompted Alvin and Felicia to ask Dad for them for the case of the latter. It's something we do annually. And we are forgoing the liting of the lanterns to the park this year. Bishan Park, I am saying. Mother is paranoid for one simple and understandable reason - the dengue. We live near to Ang Mo Kio - one of the main hotspots in the case of the rising dengue cases.
Oh yeah, there's Love Actually on Star Movies tonight. I just hope maybe I can watch it tonight because it will not clash with Dad's football which will end before the movie. The main reason for me wanting to subscribe to that movie channel because of the package Dad wanted to upgrade. The Hugh Grant factor in the movie. Fine, I admit! LOL! But then you know, I was reading Lifestyle from The Sunday Times today that for cable TV picks, that is the one too! Hahahaha....
Okaaay. I will stop now! LOL. Signing off from here and stay safe, everyone. I mean it.