I had never watched Discovery Travel & Living's Globe Trekker this morning. Given when I finally opened my eyes it was almost close to 9am (it's from 8am-9am and repeat from the previous day each time), I thought there's no point watching it.
It's the first time I had realised I had missed a show and never sounded so worried at all. Actually, I went to bed at almost 2am this morning after using the computer. If I did not went to use the computer last night, I will have watched Globe Trekker this morning. Another sign to know I am already too excited for The Da Vinci Code movie - putting all my attention onto there and 'blocking' everything else out. It's already evident from what I said in this paragraph and the previous.
So after I got out of bed today, I have to know whether Channel 8's morning show Good Morning Singapore has any comments about The Da Vinci Code (the trailers spoke about it yesterday) and when I turned on the TV in my parents' room, it was already started showing. From what I figured out, Ian McKellen's role as the British Royal Historian and Grail historian Sir Leigh Teabing really stood out from his lead co-stars (Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, Audrey Tatou as Sophie Neveu), just like what some of the early press reviews had said of the movie. It also discussed about the pace of the movie as well. It's like saying when explaining about a history behind something and comparing the pace of it with the novel itself. Given this is like a two and a half hour movie, so many things have to be compact together (read: Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire movie) and one of the presenters was saying something like the novel really explains a lot of things that were being raised which I think, maybe movie-goers may not understand as much.
Guess this is one of those times where one have to read the novel first before watching the movie. I'm glad I did (and even did some of those background research online too so as to understand what the novel is trying to say) because or else I will be so clueless later tonight at the Lido cineplex! Speaking of Lido cineplex, I checked ST Life's movie listings and there is a 9.30pm screening of the movie, other than the other timings stated. So the timing on the ticket I saw when Dad brought back yesterday (like what he expected, it has already delivered to his office on Wednesday and since he took half-day leave then because my sister's birthday, one of his colleagues helped him to 'look' after it) actually fits the one I saw on the papers this morning.
I so know I have to prepare about the state of review for The Da Vinci Code movie from a local perspective and with ST Life being always so kind of strict (like as if I don't know, huh!), I had expected already the rating they gave when I opened the paper. Because you know I saw The New Paper's reivew on yesterday's edition (my brother had bought it apparently) that it's slightly better than the ST's one today.
It's not that I want to deny the reviews the local papers are giving, it's just that whenever such talk-about blockbusters hit the screens (and where it concerns me because I had read the novel version of it), I know the media here will look at it from a very strict point of view. Giving such fantastic reviews on those movies I always cannot understand (read: The Lord Of The Rings trilogy) and for such movies like The Da Vinci Code and the Harry Potter series, it's always too average or just average only. The more I see The Da Vinci Code movie is given such too average ratings, the more those who want to ban it will be kind of happy, I think.
And when 'controversy turns into cash' (as being stated on CNA yesterday), there is no stopping those movie-goers, whether serious ones or not, whether they had read the novel beforehand or not. The buzz is enough to attract one's attention. It has, for me. And I am not a Christian, for goodness sake.
If we want to talk about openess in doing those movie reviews, then why is it not happening? Or am I missing out something? I know I saw the repeat of Entertainment Tonight earlier on Channel 5 and the review given for the movie - it was not bad.
There is a reason why I give the blog title for today that. I am trying to keep peace with myself. Too much conflicts, too much disapproval of this and that, where to keep peace with myself? I do at times see things with an open mind and open heart, not trying to shut myself out. Till then, bye for now while I await to watch the movie tonight.