Thursday, October 18, 2007

Les Miserables

It came from the idea that in one of the Rugby World Cup articles I saw on the Teletext's Sports section when I was having my breakfast that it mentioned something like that. Les Miserables (in this case, France) supporting the Springboks (South Africa) in the final, and it's not because of sour grapes (given host nation France lost to England in the semis). What a play of words. Victor Hugo's probably most famous work.

Six years ago when I first read the abridged version of the novel which I borrowed from the school library, I cannot have imagined I will be using it as my entry title. But until what I was watching on Teletext and having my Milo and pancakes as breakfast (I was just stuffing the two mini pancakes I was having into my mouth). I did managed to get out of bed (it only began at 2.45am) and watch the Germany-Czech Republic match (the Euro 2008 qualifiers are still going on) after feeling so mixed up from watching England leading, to losing to Russia in Moscow (it ended close to 1am this morning). I thought the match from Munich (where it's at, not the England one, I mean) will provide some consolation, though I already know that Germany had already qualified.

Nein danke ('No thank you' in German). On the wee hours of this morning (Singapore timing, that is), my heart was sinking at its lowest. Not since the days...I don't know. Suddenly how I felt the day after Italy beat Germany in the World Cup semi-final last year looked almost insignificant.

If the mood around the stadium where Russia and England were playing before the start of the match was anything to go by, it's going to go in their favour eventually. A big flag, carrying Russia's symbol - the bear. I dared not think too much as I was watching both teams singing their national anthems. When my father returned from using the toilet, it was only for a while before the match began. And my word, it was a high tempo match from the first whistle. My father was surprised as well. I even casually remarked (how it will sort of return to haunt me hours later, to think of it) that it's like watching Germany play.

The ice (no pun intended, in view of Russia's recent weather) was broken in the 29th minute when Wayne Rooney scored. It gave me a glimmer of hope, and my father was happy. It maintained that way until the first-half. And if not in the second-half with my father protesting what the referee was doing in favour of the Russians and giving them a penalty-kick in the 69th minute (which they equalised and I looked away until I looked at the scoreline later), at least I need not feel really bad (okay, shoot me now) when four minutes later, another came in. Given England cannot afford to lose in Moscow.

You can imagine my heart was sinking even lower though I don't want to give up. I was hoping for a miracle towards the ending minutes. Not really so sure about myself, but did England's substitutions came in a little too late? I think my father certainly think in that manner. And after the final whistle was being blown, I am worried. When the commentator said It's in their hands now, it did me no good. It was referring to the Russians. It's all back to square one. Are we seeing a three-way fight to Austria and Switzerland once again?

From what I gathered later, England has to hope Russia slipped up against Israel (who are already out of contention). Andorra will be an easy task for the Russians. For now, Guus Hiddink can said that he had finally beaten England. Past nine encounters with England (plus the time when Russia lost 3-0 at the Wembley just last month) as a national coach (at one time, he was coaching the Dutch national team, his own country) all ended in losses. England's record playing in Russia continued (it was been 30-over years since they win in Russia).

Steve McClaren is still not giving up. Though I am now worried about his future actually. Recent five consecutive 3-0 scorelines managed to help him, but now... If Macedonia can beat Croatia, Russia slipping against Israel, there may be hope. There are still other possible scenarios. Macedonia are no pushovers (England drew and won a narrow victory over them) and Israel can be stubborn in defence (as it showed when England drew 0-0 with them away). So, if McClaren is not giving up, I am not giving up as well. Miracles do happen. It ain't over till it's over!

One has qualified, but still want to prove that they can put up a good show at home. The other is trying to qualify and a point is the least they need. The first one is Germany, and the other is Czech Republic. Just days after the former World Cup hosts was seen as a potential favourite for Euro 2008 honours, the visitors made a mockery of their opponent's early entry into Austria and Switzerland. Even I myself, the Germany supporter, was surprised at the Czechs' early goal in the 2nd minute. Minutes after the second goal (it came in the 23rd minute), I was watching from the Internet. Internet streaming. From English to German commentary. I don't want my parents suddenly coming out of their room and caught me watching the match.

I was surprised. It was not really the side I know. The Czechs really dominate. What is going on? I know they were not at their best when facing the Irish last Saturday despite earning the point they need to qualify. When I realised striker Mario Gomez came in as a substitute (he was replacing midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger) in the 65th minute, I know it's desperate times. Going on the offensive.

Towards the final minutes, my heart had sunk even lower. And this is not playing with Germany's national coach's surname. The Czechs all determined to avenge the 2-1 loss they suffered at home earlier this year. At the final whistle, Czech Republic national coach Karel Bruckner was vindicated (and the visiting fans are happy) but for his counterpart Joachim Loew (whom Franz Beckbenbauer praised him and his side after the draw in Ireland that they are the best in Europe)...whatever I had seen from the images avaliable for the match on the Getty Images website (http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=72066972), it says it all. Disappointment written all over his face. The higher you climb, the harder you fall? The German fans are already not happy and from what I saw, empty seats even before the final whistle.

Where was the summer fairytale we once knew? Oh well, no time to talk about it now. Germany's summer fairytale in the World Cup last year began in Munich. The same stadium - the Allianz Arena (where it was the beginning group match and Germany 4-2 Costa Rica). For once, Czech Republic is at the top of the qualifying group (they had advanced to Euro 2008 as a result) since the beginning of the qualifying campaign. Never since the days when Germany lost to old rivals England 5-1 (also in Munich...freaky now) in a World Cup qualifier in 2001 was there quite a defeat. Well, also not since the scoreline of 1-4 when they lost to Italy in a friendly and the then-coach Juergen Klinsmann's tactics were being called into question (but it was all forgotten during the 'summer fairytale'). It was being reported before the match that Germany is putting up its best squad (despite missing out key players) to face the Czechs, despite early qualification. They don't want to slack. Still at the end of the day, they had already qualified before this match.

Before this match, Cyprus was the only team to deny Germany a victory (1-1 draw last year). And later on I realised, Cyprus can be a surprise at times. The Cypriots are coming to Germany next month. England is travelling to Austria for a friendly next month. Since the Wembley friendly, I don't know whom to pity more. Bad luck sweeping over two of my favourite teams. Double whammy. I'm still having a heavy heart (and it didn't helped the weather as of now is kind of bad and I have classes later on). It didn't helped I learned the Scots lost to Georgia. At least, the French beat Lithuania.

Le sigh...wait, it's 'Les Miserables' for me. What a day!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...