Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reviewing a classical music album. Serious.

Ever since I stopped taking piano lessons four years ago, I had not ended my love for the classical music. Whenever I watched performances on TV and heard tunes being played anywhere, I always have the itch of thinking back those days where I sat down in front of the piano and hitting the keys away. One of those rare moments where I can be, really me.

I had always toyed with the idea of owning an album, just only classical music. Nothing else. It will be better if it's on piano. Maybe I'm biased but, that was my first real brush with the world of classical music.

But never did I expect on my trip to China (just refer to the previous entry), I will come across a Richard Clayderman compilation album at a CD/DVD store. Surprised was the first reaction. I understand of the Chinese commentary on the album but then, given Mandarin is my second language, I understand what it was saying. Anyhow, according to the cover, it's a 'platinum collection'. The only thing on my mind is that I hope it will turn out well when we return to Singapore on the 27th, which was two days ago. And it did.

26 tracks, two CDs...all in one album. The first CD has 10 tracks while the second has the remaining 16 tracks. Have to admit, more of my personal favourites came from the second CD. Among them are Italian Symphony No. 4 Sharp. Op90 Allegro, Vivaldi's Four Seasons: Spring and Medley Of The Four Seasons.

Now...how do I came to know Richard Clayderman? Strange as it may seems, it started with my father. For someone who used take few guitar lessons in his younger days, that was his personal brush with music. He said that he had bought a few cassettes (before the day of CDs became common) before and he like his music (makes it all the more intriguing for me, given my father being the engineering man and all...never realised he has, some class). And reading the explanation about his life and works in the album, the piece which launched the Frenchman (yes, it did said that in the album about his nationality) into fame - Ballade pour Adeline, actually started out as a closing theme to a TV drama serial in France in the 70s. Back then when I first heard it, I thought that this was the one which I always seemed to hear at wedding receptions.

I know maybe it's biased of me given of my once piano background but really, Monsieur Clayderman is one of the rare modern pianists out there who is able bring together the music of today with the past. Earning audiences who will not have listened to classical music in the beginning (read: my father).

Now coming back to the album I was trying to review. I am not sure if it's in Singapore but, it's really a find for me. Rating: 3.5/5.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...