Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. It seemed to be the case nowadays with the songs we are hearing on the radio lately. Carrie Underwood's 'Before He Cheats', Pink's 'You and Your Hand' are just two examples.
But Kelly Clarkson? She is the winner of the inaugural American Idol series. The once sweet girl-next-door has almost become a rock chic. Her latest album 'My December' (not to be confused with Linkin Park's single of the same name) if anything to go by, shows that she wants to be her own person. She co-wrote all the songs in the album. Definitely has come a long way.
'Never Again' which has been playing on the radio these days here, opens the album. I have to admit, it actually took me a while before I like the single. Initially, I just don't really like it. It was not really the Kelly I once know, though she had already went a little rock in her previous album 'Breakaway' (if anyone has the album, listen to 'Since You Been Gone' and 'Gone' for example). 'Never Again' just sounds so angsty to me at first, in short.
But coming back to the current album. Maybe it's me who once happened to listen to a preview of the album on a radio station which it played 'One Minute' (no, the song did not went for just a minute, don't let it fool you), I like the song immediately. It's a fast-tempo track. Other worthy mentions are 'Don't Waste Your Time', 'Judas', 'Yeah'. 'Sober' is a rarity. Not so rocking as the rest, but still good.
After listening to Track 13 'Irvine', there is a surprise. Don't assume that there is nothing on the CD as there's no music playing. In fact, there is a hidden track. Just let the CD play before the track is being played.
The album cover is really impressive. Just don't let it fool you. It's not a case of nice album cover, not-so-nice tracks. If you don't really like your rock that hard, it's suitable for you. But then again, I don't like my rock that hard. 3.5/5 for me.