Monday, October 09, 2006

What a review!

Surprise somehow became the main theme at last week's Euro 2008 qualifiers. Scotland 1-0 France, Sweden 2-0 Spain, Wales 1-5 Slovakia, England 0-0 Macedonia, Czech Republic 7-0 San Marino, Cyprus 5-2 Ireland and etc. Look at the first two results and the last one. Scotland had been on a high after beating minnow Faroe Islands and Lithuania, Spain is still searching for a win after its shocking loss to Northern Ireland, Ireland lost its first qualifying match to Germany. At least like what TV news put it - 'There's more to British football than just England', in the case of Scotland's surprise win.

Given after all, the English were the ones who started football and to know their northern 'neighbour' got a slight better edge than them, what can one expect? Traditionally, Scotland had never 'seen' eye-to-eye with England. The Scots are fiercely proud of their own history.

I got a surprise yesterday morning after watching CNA's Asia Today. It was almost to the end of the news then I just switched to CNN. It's the Larry King Weekend. Surprise, it's Larry interviewing Clay Aiken. I am aware that he made an appearance on Larry King's talkshow. Ah...it's being a while!

After the Science papers today for my sister, she's having a break till the PSLE results are out next month. My father had told her before that she should read the newspapers more often. Given it's the age and time for her to start understand the world around her (back then, I was around that age, 11 to be exact, when my father started to make me read the newspapers and it took almost three years before I 'perfected' it), it's about time. The TODAY paper will be a good start.

Earlier last week, the news came in from the papers that there will be changes in teaching the English language here. Studies had shown that though the working population have the command of the language, they don't really know how to express themselves. A wake-up call of sorts. Especially for me. But then I deduced that maybe my writing helped to counter my oral skills during the O Levels three years ago. I like to write more than doing oral. (pretend) Horrors.

I did watched the repeat of the international friendly match between Germany and Georgia yesterday afternoon (though I only watched starting from the second half). There was the same-day telecast on early yesterday morning (6-8am) but I saw the afternoon broadcast. Becayse given I slept quite late on Sunday actually. Using the Internet, you know.

More Euro 2008 qualifying action will continue later this week, so more reactions from me by then. I told my father that I didn't watch the England-Macedonia game with him (I was using the Internet then), and so the result was like that. Very, funny. For the record, the Germany-Georgia friendly was 2-0 to the former.

And still on football. It's been some time since these comments made its rounds in the papers. Two referees on the pitch for future matches in (French) football, a possible case of no penalty shootouts to decide a knockout stage game in competitions like the World Cup, and maybe South Africa running into porblems of hosting the next World Cup, or is it? It's France national coach who made the first comment on two referees given the state of the French football league where so many fouls happened as a result of new regulations. But, two referees? A little more confusing, non?

FIFA's Sepp Blatter was the one who made the comment of a possibility of no dreading penalty shootouts in future World Cups some time ago, replacing back the 'golden goal' format (that is during the extra-time, the first one who scored the goal...and the match will be immediately be over) which we saw four years back at Japan/South Korea. Even after full extra-time, sometimes the score still reads a draw. That is when the drama comes in. In the knockout stage, this can happen. Germany has near flawless record, but England's in a disarray (imagine my father - the long-suffering England fan). Eliminating shootouts? Then what to do? But then it's still a nice thought. Don't ask for my comment, hey! I am a fan of those national teams I mentioned! Be...neutral.

South Africa is almost running into problems of its football stadiums. It might not complete in time especially the newly-built ones. Almost uh-oh, I say? But I understand Australia is one of those whom had volunteered to step in if South Africa don't make it in time.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The haze condition is almost becoming better here (notice I use 'almost'). It was almost so clear skies yesterday, a stark contrast to Saturday's condition. Crossing fingers it will be more or less like that for a long time. And I already found myself sneezing for a while this morning...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...