Call me naive or something. Or maybe I rather read the main thing and the article in full if I feel like it.
But from the way I had noticed our papers here, it's as if D-Day has arrived in Germany (Frankfurt, that is...) after the quarter-final encounter between Brazil and France. As if England had been practically being condemned forever from international football because of its performance so far. I understand. Speaking of performance, like everyone else, I was expecting some of the big names in Brazil in shine. Okay, Ronaldo had shown the world why he is still fit to be on the pitch despite his past fitness once being questioned. Especially after he scored in the round of 16 or group rounds or something.
You know for once, I wanted to laugh at the papers' reactions on Brazil's exit. I have my sources too. My football-mad father, the TV and radio news, the papers (again) and the Internet. I know at times I don't really read into those match reports on the papers but my father is one who can (literally) shoots his mouth off at times on the football scene. I mentioned yesterday at how I arrived at the conclusion that an European nation will win the World Cup this time. And I already had the premontion from the start. Clairvoyant, indeed. This is, me.
I don't really feel sorry at Brazil's exit. And also after listening to my father's occasional rants on what happened to the England-Portugal match on some of the decisions the Argentine referee did (Dad saw the whole match), I thought - I hated the papers here entirely for that moment. Given the way they write about that match. I never saw the whole thing, so don't ask me! I know we here witnessed the EPL year in and year out and naturally having high expectations on the England squad...but are we a little, too obessed with England winning the World Cup and that's it? OY!
I understand trying to be calm and collected on the aftermatch of that is not what everyone is trying to be nowadays, but maybe we need to sit back. And think! Or I know after I publish this to my blog, who will want to read it anyway? Who will want to heed the words of someone who is not what the so-called experts think it's fit to shoot her mouth off about just because she has a football-mad father?
I know it's been four decades since England lifted the trophy. I so understand of a drought like this. We are expecting it here too, Olympics-wise.
I saw the repeat of the Germany-Argentina match yesterday afternoon. I was actually watching Discovery Channel and switched to watch that one whenever I can. Back and forth, that is. It's minus the now infamous brawl. But the happy and silly moments from the host nation...it will live on as part of my World Cup memories for this one in Germany. I saw the photograph used in ST on last Sunday in regards to the review of that dramatic match and it's the host nation celebrating and the headline in the background of that - 'NOT IN THEIR BACKYARD'. I understood why. You cannot beat the host nation, in their own backyard. It ain't over till it's over, folks. This was what I learnt recently. The German squad knew they can bounce back and they did.
And Dad was saying (after that match was over) to me - I acted as if D-Day had arrived when Argentina first took the lead and he is 'calm and collected'. I had to complete the phrase for him. The emotional Diana had returned during that match. The emotional genes were in full force literally.
I had been actually contemplating whether I should watch the whole Germany-Italy match in the wee hours of next morning. This means I need to sleep early for that. I know I am saying to myself I will do that, but er...whatever.