Hello,
My dear blog, how are you? I know I had never started my blog in this way, but then, since I started it...I will continue it.
I am updating this after watching the semi-final encounter between the host nation Germany and the often defensive-minded Italy some time back. This time, my heart literally crashed. And it's real serious. Dad had told me before that I acted like D-Day had arrived during the quarter-final between Germany and Argentina when the latter first took the lead then Germany bounced back. This time round...it literally happened. Guess who is going to Berlin anyway for the final? Not the host nation. Darn!
It was like - BAM! when Italy scored in the final moments of the second half of the added extra-time. And when my heart could not take it (because I was certain it will go to penalty shootout and this will be an advantage to the hosts because of their excellent record in that), it happened like seconds later or something. Again. It's when Dad said that Italy is still able to beat Germany. Football statistic freaks will say that history is always in favour with Italy whenever Germany and Italy meet. I know, I had been hearing all those past records for both sides on the radio. The past 28 encounters (exclude this one) - Italy won 13, lost seven and drew eight times with Germany. Italy's past penalty shootouts, competitive level-wise, always not that good. Germany has near-excellent record (winning all but once on competitive level, that is why!) in that.
Also, if anyone remembered what happened four years back, Korea beat Italy to advance. The former was co-host with Japan then. In France '98 (I only know of this on the radio), the Les Bleus won over the Italians then to advance. This should be in favour to the now host nation Germany. But, no. I have to add as well (I know this through the FIFA World Cup's website), the German squad always seemed to play well whenever they are in Dortmund (where all that action happened earlier), competitive level-wise. Only drew once with (of all nations) Wales some years back. Ha, England's neighbour. I was practically amused when I learnt that.
Now, I am not so amused with the Italians. I watched the match from start to end, in hoping to 'emulate' back then when I saw the Germany-Argentina match from start to when the penalty shootout happened (though occasionally then, sneaking off at times). Because I thought one of the 'reasons' why England is out - I only saw the first half of that one against Portugal. Ha ha. Very 'funny'. I told Dad after the Germany-Italy match that now I wished I never saw the match in its entity. The 'entity' is what I rephrased. At that instant moment, my interest to catch up on remaining World Cup news and highlights - almost crashed.
I want to say I want to have trust in the Les Bleus again especially since they beat Spain in round of 16 because I was like those people who did not seemed to have faith in the Les Bleus initally. Now they showed the world what they were still made of from eight years back. The next semi-final match is between France and Portugal. For your info, Portugal had never won a World Cup before. France won once on their home soil eight years back.
As I was listening to the radio, there were so much talk about the most dramatic match ever (as I rephrased). And something like what I heard over at 987FM, it's the most cruel to have this happen in the semi-final. You cannot go more cruel than this! Also, everyone is like saying (sort of on the radio) how Germany played well - for the very first time. Hello, I thought they had been like that since the opening match? 4-2 to them - most productive score ever in the history of World Cup opening games! Goal fest, as I always say since.
Germany, host nation, for goodness' sake! Why must this happen to them? And in semi-final! Almost one more step ahead to Berlin for the final! And they lost out to of all nations - Italy. In the only friendly match for Germany prior to this World Cup, they lost to Italy (yes) by 1-4. Now four months had passed since that one, and we were stunned by how the hosts had played so far since the opening game. On a roll, but now...so close, but yet so far. I first learnt that term four years ago in my English class from my English teacher.
Four years on, it totally fitted for the host nation. Seriously, I almost yelled when Italy first scored and almost screaming that Germany should equalise to save themselves. The commentator had said that Germany must score too, after my own thought. But before my father and I say anything, another Italian goal. I almost could not dare to look at the German squad's reactions. And the home crowd.
Anyhow, Germany must gun for third position in the 3rd/4th playoff. They had came so far just to prove their critics wrong, but now...darn.
So close, but yet so far. I still love the German squad anyways.
Your owner (who is still mourning over her second favourite team after England - Germany),
Diana
(P.S. As I was preparing this for the blog, the song 'That's Why You Go Away' was on the radio. So the title. And it kind of fitted...)
(P.S.S. Actually to admit, I already had a funny feeling my own 'nightmare' will come true. It did. In terms of Italy winning over the hosts. That feeling came yesterday night.)