Friday, March 23, 2007

The 'sounds' of qualifying matches

You know it's a big deal when even the tickets for the England-Italy U-21s is selling well ahead of the match at the newly-renovated 90,000-seater Wembley Stadium in London tomorrow. It may be even a bigger deal (if this is true, given the English FA has not say anything on the matter as yet) on August 22, Germany and England will meet at the Wembley for a friendly.

I was reading on Yahoo! that the German side had confirmed about this. Back then when it was first announced last year, the English FA had stated that they had no idea over this. Two bitter football rivalries...when it all started with a non-footballing event. WWII. I know about that. I studied History before in secondary school. The Blitz, I know about it too. How many times must I mention it?

Is it a sin to support the both sides? Someday I must have an article which says - Confessions of a Germany-England national football teams' fan. I know about the 1966 World Cup final. It's one of those talked-about football World Cup events, despite I wasn't even born then. Given to the English, football has definitely come home! But to the Germans, they are still not happy over that 'Wembley goal' which they think it has not crossed the line. The Hawk-Eye technology must investigate that in order to clear the doubts, once and for all. Though I know the English will not be happy over it.

But coming back to what I read over at Yahoo!. I actually first saw it last night when I was on Teletext. At first I was like 'Eh...okay.' Then I almost wanted to scream with excitement. I really need a life. Getting so excited over a football friendly match. It's a week after my birthday! What is this - I am getting a belated birthday present?

I am actually surprised that in terms of the Euro 2008 qualifying matches, the Czech Republic-Germany will be shown live on SuperSports. Yours truly - *is stunned*. Technically the Euro 2008 qualifying matches is on March 24. But that is in the European time zone. It will be March 25 at this side of the world. I know I should 'celebrate' given it's during the weekend the matches will be played. Same goes for the Israel-England one. But it's the wee hours of the morning!

As according to what I found out, England's decider will be shown first at 1.25am (also on the same channel which we have it on the cable) then followed by Germany's. Both on away legs, both are match deciders. Steve McClaren has to make sure he will not lose this one again (though the Israeli side are no pushovers) or else his job is not safe, and given Czech Republic's performance, it's a match Germany has to win in order to maintain their lead in their qualifying group. Same points, same amount of games played...but goal difference sets them apart.

I know my father was telling me last night in the car that it's the weekend and by right, I should had no problem. But watching two matches straight in the wee hours of the morning (if I am not wrong, it will be almost 6am on March 25 when the Czech Republic-Germany match 'live' from Prague ends). A matter of my choice.

And you think I want to incur the wrath of my mother? One crazy daughter trying to hold her tongue when watching football matches in the wee hours of the morning. How I almost could not control myself during the football World Cup last year.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...