I have to do this update earlier than what I normally update on Sundays because of the annual National Day Rally tonight. One of those events in the annual Singapore calendar that ordinary folks always expecting from the Prime Minister. Any new stuff to be introduced or what. Or any new measures of stuff like that.
But why the title for today? You know, as I was watching the bid videos from the London 2012 website (I mean, the one that was shown before the announcement of the host city was announced on July 6 where they showed all the candidate cities' videos and Singapore's promotion video before all that), something cropped up in my head.
I know I had talked about the times when the 117th IOC Session was still going on here and the days after on my thoughts and reflections on the events which happened in the first week of July in this island nation, city state, the Far East (I thought this name was kind of interesting because Singapore is part of South-East Asia and Far East generally means countries like Hong Kong, China, etc.) and whatever the international media call us when the Session was still going on here. Or simply just, Singapore. I had no idea if I said this here before but then you know when the Session was still going on, there has been plenty of IOC Session-relating traliers not only shown on CNA and across the other MediaCorp channels.
One of the traliers relating to that stood out for me. The movers and shakers in the world today and the big names in the Olympic movement - past and present. I know Singapore has always been on the thoughts of the candidate cities before the final vote here back in their respective countries and for us here as being the hosts for the event, we had something in return for them. And after listing all the big names that we could ever think of (and adding a note at the end that it could take forever to list all) on the traliers, ending with a 'Welcome!'. That always had me grinning as I watched. People from the Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg, one of the world's greatest gymanst Nadia Comenci, the England captain David Beckham, the British Prime Minister Tony Blair, the boxing legend Muhammad Ali, probably the only Olympian as of now to have won two consecutive 1500m gold medals at two consecutive Games and the one who also happens to be the London 2012 bid leader - Lord Sebastian Coe...
See what I mean there? That was just a gist of the names being shown on our TV when the IOC Session was going on here and ending with the welcome to all of them and more here in sunny Singapore. But then at least I can tell my kids in the future that their mother used to learn all those great people of her time were once here in Singapore. Hehe.
If only those who were once part of this event and making headlines on our TV news bulletins every morning, afternoon and night towards the showdown knew of it. A girl can dream, huh?
You know after I was in Dad's car after my Maths remedial lessons (it was about to rain then), I began to comment about our weather of late. And saying that it just contrast with what summer is all about, despite we don't have the four seasons here. Being slightly hotter than usual. But it seemed not the case. Maybe only in last month where the highlight was the IOC Session. And the London 2012 team attire was designed with our climate in mind! But back to what I was saying, I told Dad that I realised why London 2012's duration is from late July to around mid-August because of the weather forecast for London that I saw on the news of late. Even though it may be summer, it's not really that hot there.
Try complaining about the weather being that hot in where you live (especially from such places and even the US) and come here to see for yourself. Slightly hotter than what you experienced. But something we experienced all the while. Oh yes.
Typing this from Dad's laptop, you know. Yeah, I do managed to set up the laptop. Now I must try to figure it out on how to place it all back to his bag because of those equipments being attached to it, you know. Or else I will face the wrath from my parents, Alvin and Felicia. Haha.