Just like the documentary which has been showing on repeat on Discovery Channel lately titled 'The History of Singapore', in one of its three-part series, it was aptly titled 'An Accidental Nation'.
Singapore was never meant to be on her own two feet so quickly on August 9, 1965. But when with relations with Malaysia back then was almost becoming sour and the two neighbours having so much differences, Malaysia wanted out. A 'marriage' which was never meant to be. Like what I remembered back then in secondary school, my teacher once said that it was the very first time then-Prime Minister, now-Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew broke down in public on that fateful day. Whenever I saw that video, I understood why. All my life, I had believed in the merger of two territories... That was the beginning sentences of what the Minister Mentor said to the press on that day. I know, because it appeared once in my History textbook in Sec Two when the History syllabus is about here, Singapore.
It's always one of those things which had stuck onto my head for no reason.
41 years on, we managed to survive. Despite whatever the rest of the world is saying about us every now and then. I saw the National Day edition of TODAY and in the section where the paper asked the 41 people who made Singapore their home why they chose to be Singaporeans and one said something like when reading about how others in the outside world criticise here, he will defend. Am I like that too? As far as I know, I had been like that for a long time now. A sign to know that I am patriotic. Yes.
Yeah...it almost kind of 'sucked' that I have classes the next day but then during the lunch I had at the food court, I was watching the afternoon news on Channel 8 (I had purposely chosen a seat near to the TV) as I was eating and when footages of the National Day Parade came on, I cannot helped but smile. Somehow the people around me have something to say about this year's National Day Parade.
For me, maybe given the National Stadium is giving way for a new sports hub and had to be tore down by next month...I thought the parade segment (which happens when night falls) was kind of alright to me. This year's National Day is all about the grand old dame herself (she was 'born' in 1973) and a farewell before a new era dawn on her. So it's like...fireworks galore!
Funnily enough, when I was very young, I am always very scared at the sound of the fireworks if I hear it live. Especially the ones which came on during National Day. But I slowly learnt to like it. My father was like kind of wondering why I was like that back then actually. Another one of those funny situations.
As I was listening to the theme for this National Day, I almost cried. I thought it's kind of applicable to my own father who had seen much of the world thanks to his work because of the various tales he encountered while at overseas. He did told me few of those.
Please, only when one head out of one's country, one will be able to see things in another perspective. Trust me, it happened to me when the family was travelling to Malaysia. My father? The strange, bizarre, weird, scary, near-death (yes, I did say that) encounters he has on his work travels...he had almost seen it all. The events and cultures outside of here had made him understand more of the world.
My home
Wherever I may be
I believe
You will always be a part of me
(Excerpts from this year's theme song, 'My Island Home')
Happy belated birthday, Singapore. I will always love you!