I almost had a very different entry from this. But after the German national team's final match of the year ended in a defeat at home to England last month (2-1), I realised I need to have something different from what I originally planned. In the year when the ups and downs is like how England had been before and after Fabio Capello became the England coach, it's very eerie. But while there is no change of guard in terms of who is the coach of the German national team, I had learned that...and it is something which is a case of the common sense - Never wash your dirty linen in public.
Anyhow I swear, there are times I am secretly suspecting my two loves in international football (England and Germany) swopped roles this year. Germany going into the Euro 2008 tournament...being almost like the England squad of the 2006 World Cup, England becoming the Germany of...what people knew all along. While England back then was the infamous 'golden generation' ahead of the 2006 World Cup, this time it is the German national team and the sentiment back home is that they are going to win Euro 2008. As for England this time round, disciplined, efficient...something one only associate with the Germans. Didn't it showed during the final match of the year for both sides in Berlin in November? Suddenly the Euro 2008 finalists did not look like they were the ones who took part in the tournament itself. Suddenly England looked like, world beaters. Had the final scoreline in Berlin last month ended in a draw, it would had been in my eyes...I do not want to know.
But before I looked at the year from the beginning from the German national team's angle, like how I always like to write my compositions back in school, I always start with the ending. Naturally it was weird when I was watching the match last month on TV as someone who support both sides (even if I was going for England then). Even all the more 'weirder' I actually chanced upon this few weeks ago. It is like (don't shoot me), my two footballing worlds had finally collided. The meeting of the two coaches before the match (Germany's Joachim Loew and England's Italian coach Fabio Capello). But before that came along...
I can still recall our last summer
I still see it all
It was a flattering scoreline. 3-0 in a friendly against Euro 2008 co-hosts Austria in February in Vienna. Because Austria actually almost took the lead. Austria was already considered a laughing stock given of their world rankings ahead of the tournament at their own backyard. But this was a country which used to be a footballing powerhouse, before the Second World War. Or maybe at that time, Jens Lehmann was at goal for Germany then (considering he was still at Arsenal at that time and he never got regular games then).
Then came the friendly match against the other Euro 2008 co-host Switzerland. This match even though it is an international friendly, there were also historical significance behind it. Like what I quoted from the pay-TV magazine here (Telescope) on what it has to say of the match - The first time Switzerland and Germany met for a friendly match was way back in 1908. Since then, Germany has gone on to win three World Cups. Will the Swiss turn the tables during this friendly? It was also the 100th anniversary of the creation of the German national team and they began with a match against Switzerland a century ago. On the personal level, there are also Swiss players who play their football in the Bundesliga (Germany's top-flight). A certain Mario Gomez actually first made his international debut against the Swiss a year ago. Gomez's national team coach Joachim Loew actually ended his playing career there and he first got his coaching badges there before doing it again back in his native Germany.
4-0 against the Swiss, and Mario Gomez had a hand in two of the goals. That was the last match before until the announcement of the squad for the Euro 2008 tournament itself. In between before the announcement on (even if you bet a million euros, you will not expect it) the Zugspitze mountain, news of what the Deutsche Welle website reporting on what Loew implementing a whole new set of rules (no beer, visiting of nightclubs, no room services please) ahead of the trip to Austria and Switzerland and something more serious from Germany's newsmagazine Der Speigel - German Soccer Team to Get Measles Vaccination. On the latter, back then there were fears there could be outbreaks during the tournament itself (but it never happened, but still better to be safe than sorry). On the former link, I remembered back then my reaction was like this - Pulling a leaf out of Fabio Capello's book? The Italian's reputation as a coach is a well-known fact. Back then when I read the Deutsche Welle report, it almost screamed the England boss at once.
Then on my entry title aptly called Say it again (you will see in the entry), was the announcement of the preliminary squad (a 26-man squad). Now to think of it, hilarious, adorable. But it was also...kitsch. Considering back then the explanation for the announcement of the preliminary squad on the Zugspitze was this (from German national team manager Oliver Bierhoff) - "We wanted to give the selection location some geographical significance with Austria and Switzerland, the two nations hosting the event." At the same time, the German national team even has a 'theme' to their Euro 2008 campaign - Mountain Tour. And it came courtesy from Oliver Bierhoff (whom I later grew a dislike for, post-Euro 2008) himself. There was even a TV ad (in German) on the Mannschaft as mountaineers attempting to scale Austria and Switzerland's peaks. Rather, shameless plugging from one of the national team's sponsors - Mercedes Benz. As much as I understand the 'theme' to the Euro 2008 campaign for the German national team, I used to say this few days before the final - I admitted I was among the many who initially secretly scorned at the German national team using the theme of a 'Mountain Tour' for their Euro 2008 campaign. Even as someone being a supporter of the German national team, kind of tacky for me.
As much as there were surprises in the preliminary squad (that means, there will be three unlucky fellows who will not be part of the Euro 2008 party), there were two sort of surprises. Borussia Monchengladbach's 19-year-old Marko Marin (it was later revealed by national coach Joachim Loew during the national team's temporary training base in Spain's Mallorca before the actual tournament, that he needed only 10 minutes to be convinced of Marin), and then-Valenicia, now-Hoffenheim's Timo Hilderbrand. There was shock all around that he has been dropped and Bayer Leverkusen's Rene Adler took his place instead. Robert Enke's inclusion was understandable (Enke's club Hannover had a decent season overall at the time of the preliminary call-up in May). Timo Hilderbrand's omission eventually became one of those things I can never forgive Loew on the decisions he made on the national team. It is not as if at that time, Hildebrand was not playing for his club then. I know Loew eventually had to put out damage control in regards to the omission, but for me...the damage has already been done. Even if Hilderbrand will be officially part of the Hoffenheim squad come the beginning of the January transfer window. I still do not believe Hilderbrand does not have a future in the Mannschaft and I hope he will eventually prove to Loew one day that he was wrong to drop him ahead of the Euro 2008 tournament.
In between being at Mallorca, there were two friendly matches to be played before the actual Euro 2008 tournament itself. The 2-2 draw against Belarus where Germany actually blew away a two-goal lead. How I was saying at that time - Reviewing the first goal again, it almost look like an offside (but the flag was down) and should not have been counted. The second goal was an own goal from Belarus and considering the two goals being scored by the visiting team in the second-half (yes, it was a 2-2 draw in the end), they actually scored three in total. Then there was the 2-1 result against Serbia. But do not let the final scoreline fool you. Back then I had to stream that too (it was not on here) and - I swear I almost tear my hair out given at times I don't have the reception. But then when Serbia draw first blood, I did saw it. To admit, I got horrified for a while....So minutes after the Oliver Neuville equaliser (he is the kind I call 'the one who score at the last minute' given he did that during the World Cup group match against Poland, almost at the last minute!), the screen frozen out on me.After I managed to get the images again, it's almost close to the final whistle and - Germany 2-1 Serbia. I was like thinking 'Who scored?'. Only later on I refreshed on one of my usual sources, it gave me this - Neuville, Ballack strike to save Germany in football friendly. The captain (through a free-kick, I later found out in the highlights video).
Living for the day, worries far away
Then...Euro 2008. The theme of the tournament 'Expect emotions' really fits me to a tee. Considering England was not there, I know I have to be the Germany supporter throughout the tournament. Ha, the 'advantages' of actually having more than a team when it comes to international football...even if it means both national teams have always been old rivals all along. I can go on and on of how I felt back then. But I will let what I said in a personal entry ahead of the Germany-England friendly last month to sum it up - It's like watching...England before Fabio Capello came in. This match good, next match bad. I had a see-saw ride watching Germany at Euro 2008. Good against Poland, bad against Croatia, so-so against Austria, great against Portugal (the quarter-final match eclipsed the Euro 2008 qualifier against the Czech Republic away as my favourite Germany match in the post-Juergen Klinsmann era) even when the head coach is suspended, far from convincing against an under-strength Turkey (their opponents' injury and suspension list is long even), did not show up against Spain in the final. I almost let out a triumphant 'Ha!' when I once read that the Mannschaft coach had said something about the fitness levels of the players were not up to standard ahead of the tournament. I had always secretly suspected that was one of the reasons for how the Euro 2008 campaign went. And sigh, do not make me talk about the number of goals conceded along the way in the tournament.
When the summer's over and the dark clouds hide the sun
Neither you nor I'm to blame when all is said and done
It soon became the beginning of the end of 'summer fairytale' people know from the 2006 World Cup from the German national team. The apparent disputes over team jerseys and numbers (which surfaced ahead of the national team's friendly match against Belgium which they won 2-0 eventually) which made me wanted to cry with anger over how national coach Joachim Loew reacted at that time. What I wrote back then - It almost made me wanted to cry with anger given I actually stood by him back then during Euro 2008 when Germany faced Austria where he was punished for something he never did. Because I was also once accused of something I never did (this was back in secondary school) and so I know the feeling very well. Maybe back then I should act as if I am a news broadcaster or something reporting the news and that is it. Not giving any analysis at all. Maybe it's not worthwhile throwing in my emotions as well back then. Thinking about it now, I feel very angry and hurt. It's like the trust I had placed on someone...it has all been shattered to pieces. The very first time I found myself really at odds with the coach. Considering when I re-read what I used to write ahead of the Euro 2008 quarter-final match between Germany and Portugal, for a period of time...it looked so far away. The preview to the match almost became a personal entry on my own experiences of the feeling of being 'robbed'.
I had even raised my fears few days ahead of the first 2010 World Cup qualifier away at Liechtenstein (which ended 6-0) as well that I am already scared the 'love affair' which began in the midst of the same World Cup (note: me referring to the 2006 World Cup)...may be dying a slow death in front of my very own eyes. And I don't like that. Before me at odds with the national coach, there was already the conflict between Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff and team captain Michael Ballack which surfaced in the midst of Euro 2008, but only became evident after it ended. Eyebrows were even raised when none in the German national team coaching staff, only Ballack's friends and colleagues attended his wedding in what the German press called it 'the wedding of the year'. Anyhow, I realised I had enough of the Bierhoff-Ballack conflict when I said this - The whole conflict has even got German football great Franz Beckbenbauer writing in his BILD column earlier in the week that there should be one between Bierhoff and Ballack. I think I had found my final straw. The man who was famous for scoring the golden goal in the Euro 1996 final against the Czech Republic and giving Germany their last major title to date, flatly turned down any chances of having tallks with the Chelsea midfielder. To be frank - I'm thankful I don't have any particular memories of Bierhoff apart from the 'golden goal' (I mean, I was eight-going on-nine when that happened and I don't know anything about Euro 1996 until reading it online), that he was once the now-Bayern Munich coach Juergen Klinsmann's former team-mate on the national team.
Before I said that I had found my final straw on the Bierhoff-Ballack situation, it was the 3-3 draw away in Finland (the second 2010 World Cup quaifier) which almost made me wanted to scream in front of the TV at times when I was watching the match. Finland taking the lead, thrice! Fair enough, not all the regulars were there but, what. was. that. Then, came the announcement from national team manager Oliver Bierhoff...he had cleared up the matter with the captain Michael Ballack. It became eventually only a mild celebration on my part, given of what happened in the midst of the Germany-Russia match in October (the 2010 World Cup qualifier which according to national team coach Joachim Loew that it is the best match for the national team this year) which I had seen it (it was 2-1 then, to Germany) as a match of two halves. Schalke striker Kevin Kuranyi (who until his 'departure', has always been the fifth-choice striker in the national team) walking out half-way of the match in what was should be seen as a fine debut for debutant goalkeeper Rene Adler. Naturally, I started to be worn out of the saga, actually found myself 'defecting' to the Wales corner ahead of the qualifier. After Kuranyi's walk-out, Loew decided enough was enough and he declared that as long as he is still the national coach, the Schalke striker will never be included in the national team for any matches - at all.
My feelings were muted when I was watching ESPN Sportscenter Asia (still on ahead of the match against Wales) when for the first time since Loew made the decision on Kuranyi. And I said this back then - But then again I wanted to know what is the latest in the England camp ahead of the World Cup qualifier away in Belarus. I just take it that I had awoken from a nightmare (in regards to what Schalke striker Kevin Kuranyi and Germany coach Joachim Loew had said in their separate press conferences yesterday whch was shown on ESPN Sportscenter Asia today). Just when I thought I realised why I had always supported the German national team since the 2006 World Cup after Hamburg's Piotr Trochowski's strike (it was his debut goal as well, and quite a goal he scored) gave all the eventual three points, the beginning of the biggest 'crisis' ever to hit the national team this year when national team captain Michael Ballack gave the infamous newspaper interview apparently on criticising his coach.
Standing calmly at the crossroads, no desire to run
There's no hurry any more when all is said and done
I knew the so-called 'summer fairytale' from the 2006 World Cup (even Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff had said almost a month or so ago that it is over and time to be back at work)...it had finally died a slow death when that came about. Since I did not want to talk about it...this, this (the situation was mentioned), this, this, this will speed up on the developments of the 'saga. Before it was worked out (it looked like the case, but somehow it resurfaced again about a week after the Germany-England friendly before...that was it). Observers see it as Germany coach Joachim Loew winnng all that internal battles in the national team, with him stamping the authority on who is the boss. While the 'boss' himself did not see it as internal battles anyway. For me...no one has won the battle. No one. Yes, the 'house' need to be in order but, people's perceptions do need time to change given people (for those not really in the loop on the German national team, that is) may see from the negative headlines that there are cracks within the Mannschaft. I had actually secretly wondered before has the image of the Mannschaft changed in their eyes because of those headlines. Bickering...that is so un-German.
With that out of the window, it is the match against old rival England last month (an international friendly...but then again, the English will never see such encounter against their old rival, a 'friendly'). England under new coach Fabio Capello, had been on a revival since the Euro 2008 no-show. Their 2010 World Cup qualification campaign up till that stage, even way better than Germany (three wins, a draw) - four out of four wins. As much as the Mannschaft was not bogged down by injuries and withdrawals (it was the case with Capello's England but the Italian handed it well) and as much as the Mannschaft coach Joachim Loew (who had yesterday hinted about a new contract prior to the 2010 World Cup) had talked about how England had been since Capello stepped in (also this - "the strongest they have been for years"), from what I read from my German football sources, it was always mainly about who are not going to be in Berlin. In the match which my English football sources said that this is a poor German side (one of my sources even added 'since Euro 2000'), England won - 2-1. Fired up by what happened last year in August at the Wembley (it was 2-1, to Germany then) given England captain John Terry had said that he still has not forgotten over that, Fabio Capello's England actually maintained their unbeaten streak in Berlin (the venue of the match) and their head-to-head record against their old rival (including the match itself): 31 meetings - 15 wins, 10 losses and six draws. I remembered the boos, especially at the end of the match. It has always been common when it comes to the England squad, but even as I know I support both sides...it was definitely something I am not used to witnessing, even if I myself knew how the Mannschaft did this year. And I have to say, I have to actually agree with what former West Germany international Guido Buchwald has to say on the Mannschaft's performances overall this year (downward trend).
To be honest, after six months, I am not angry at Spain winning Euro 2008 (even if the Mannschaft coach Joachim Loew thinks otherwise, still disappointed about the final outcome). The supposedly chokers (after another supposedly choker in England), without the burden of the past of the 1964 European Championship triumph...had taught us that the beautiful game is still alive with how they play. The right team won - period. And during the dark periods in October when I am always felt that I am bogged down all the negative headlines surrounding the Mannschaft (they retained their second place on the FIFA rankings since last month), I am actually thankful that the dramatic north London derby between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur (it was 4-4 eventually, with an almost last-minute equaliser from Tottenham) which also happened in October...actually made me believe in football again. Just when I actually thought that I wanted to walk out of the German national team, walking out of football.
Hang on. What my mother was saying in the midst of Euro 2008. The non-football fan herself on the Mannschaft coach. If I ever have self-doubt on the Mannschaft again, I will remember what she used to say about him during the tournament to humour myself. He is actually in good company, given my mother do not use the handsome word on any man, except on my father (I need not know everything about their dating past, unless they talk about it), those male celebrities she knew when growing up and in her teenage years whom she thinks are handsome. *chuckles* Ah, it made me miss my former Science teacher from Secondary One again (and it is especially the second photo in this photo gallery (which one have to click the photo for the gallery) came out today and made me wondered all over again how one of my most favourite former teachers is doing). As much as I sound like a grandmother (given I said it before here time and again) - Except for the glasses, 'Jogi' (the coach's nickname) had always reminded me of my former Science teacher...especially in the dressing department.
Our last summer
Memories that remain