Thursday, May 11, 2006

Celebrating in the name of...

It's already surprising enough my father came home from work rather earlier than the expected time of after 7pm yesterday, till my mother explained that he was out on board a ship. No wonder the overalls I saw my father wearing. Being like the head of a department, inspecting the ships is one of the many things my father do in his job.

But it's already almost making me screaming in delight if my mother was not around (in my parents' room as I was watching My Lovely Sam-Soon DVD set with her actually) when my father handed me a fattened and used envelope and told me it was something I wanted. I opened the contents at once (never mind the show was still going on the TV in my parents' room; LOL!) and it's the book that my father had said about it the day before that he would get it from his colleague who had finished reading. The Da Vinci Code.

Oh my!!!!! I almost screamed with excitement and I looked again, there's another novel as well. Angels & Demons. Aha! Not many had knew that actually before the best-selling The Da Vinci Code which features the main character Robert Langdon, Angels & Demons is the one which first features the character. From what I pretty much gathered online, these two novels form a Robert Langdon trilogy (and a third one along the way) of sorts though the reader need not worry as each novel tells a different thing from the predecessor. Dad explained that his colleague is also into these things and even the Harry Potter novels as well. I guessed which is why he has gotten those two novels from his colleague because he knew I wanted to know more of the movie adaptation of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code before we go see it at the cinema next week.

Or else it will end up where I had never gotten Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire yet (but I got the rest already, LOL!) prior to me go watching the movie adaptation last year. LOL. Speaking of the Harry Potter series, not since JK Rowling's best-selling series about the boy wizard the world see another phenomeon again in terms of The Da Vinci Code novel. Dan Brown's best-selling novel may have published three years ago, but it still got a lot of attention till now. Just like the Harry Potter series, The Da Vinci Code dominated The New York Times Best-Selling list (which many have see this as a benchmark of works of fiction and non-fiction around the world) for a very long time and it even pushed the sales of Dan Brown's previous works too.

It ain't surprising it's the same situation here too. Heh. You want to talk about fiction books in the best-selling list here in Singapore currently, The Da Vinci Code topped the list for a long time and Angels & Demons is on the list too. Before the craze, the Harry Potter novels dominated the best-selling list here for some time. How I regretted time and again (especially when Dad first raised the possibility of watching the movie adaptation) I never gotten the book for my birthday last year. Always feel like kicking myself whenever I think of it. But with my father had gotten the book and Angels & Demons from his colleague who had finished the books, I guess this is another alternative, as I kind of said it yesterday here.

Mother had joked during yesterday evening before her dinner that the books I got is enough for me not to have my dinner as I was reading excerpts of it from the two books while watching the evening news on TV with my father (before he has his dinner later on) at the same time. She was right, sort of. It has been like that in the past when anyone in the family sees me engrossed in a novel. Any novels which I think will interest and/or intrigue me or being recommended by others especially those people I know, I will check out. That has always been the benchmark which I set for myself. That is how I like the Harry Potter series, those classic novels like Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre (still one of those which literally knocked my socks off) and Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, those Enid Blyton books when I was much younger and now, The Da Vinci Code. It's always either those categories I mentioned. The Da Vinci Code is because of the publicity it has been getting. At least now those see this know.

I was grinning away when Joseph & Monica got eliminated in this week's The Amazing Race during the simulcast this morning. I was practically 'celebrating'. The couple had been getting on my nerves and it's great they will not be one of the three teams left who will race for the finish line in the two-hour special next week. Yay!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...