Saturday, January 12, 2008

More than just the land of Mozart

(Preview: The unofficial weekend football focus series is back, with the Euro 2008 special still being continued. This time round, it's the first of a two-part series on the Euro 2008 host cities. From the title itself, it will be Austria this time. More than just where the late child prodigy was from and dazzling European royalty, what does the four Austrian host cities has to offer for the national teams, coaches, the media, the fans and anyone interested in the tournament? This is just a rough guide to the host cities, and so I cannot guarantee a full coverage here. If I have to do a detailed profile of each host city, it will take forever...)

Some language protocol before we get down to business. Though German is being spoken throughout Austria, one has to remember that there is a different variant to it. I mean, it could be the same thing, but when one says it, it's different. Just think of the various differences between British and American English. I had picked some differences from Wikipedia to illustrate how German is spoken in Austria and Germany.

Like - Older Austrians, in particular, will say "Grüss Gott!" (greet God!) when greeting someone, rather than the "Guten Tag!" used by Germans. When it comes to food (I know, showing my Singaporean trait - food!), Erdäpfel (potatoes) German Kartoffeln, Faschiertes (ground beef) German Hackfleisch, Fisolen (green beans) German Gartenbohne, Karfiol (cauliflower) German Blumenkohl, Karotte (carrot) German Möhre, Kohlsprossen (Brussels sprouts) German Rosenkohl, Marillen (apricots) German Aprikosen, Paradeiser (tomatoes) German Tomaten, Palatschinken (pancakes) German Pfannkuchen, Topfen (a semi-sweet cottage cheese) German Quark and Kren (horseradish) German Meerretich. The ones in bold are in Austrian German, by the way. Ah...that is what I like about languages. So interesting.

Being someone who was being brought up to respect her elders, I will use what older Austrians will always say - Grüss Gott! I am Diana. Okay, okay. The last I checked, 'Diana' is also a German name too. What you see on your left, is the national flag of Austria. Well, Austria is located (as according to Wikipedia) in central Europe. Also from Wikipedia, 'It borders both Germany and the Czech Republic to the north, Slovakia and Hungary to the east, Slovenia and Italy to the south, and Switzerland and Liechtenstein to the west. The capital city is the city of Vienna on the Danube River.' Population (as of 2007 estimates) - 8,316,487.

Ahh...Vienna. The capital of the country. What does it reminds you of? For me, one word - music. Since I used to take piano lessons, I had learned that people like Mozart (Salzburg), Beethoven (Bonn, Germany) were being associated with the city despite not from Vienna themselves. But Strauss is from Vienna himself. If you know about the waltz, yes. It's often being called the Viennese waltz. Strauss was the one who make it popular. Nowadays, waltz is one of the common features in ballroom dancing. I didn't take up to Grade 8 in piano (those who know piano will probably understand what I mean) and so I don't know much waltz pieces. Only got up till a Grade 3 certificate and playing only a few waltz pieces before. It's fun, and I always try to close my eyes and imagine how people will dance to it. Not to my tune, I mean! Anyhow, population (as of 2007) - 1, 664, 146.

Whenever I watch a travel programme of Austria, or even Vienna in particular, this will always pop up. The Schönbrunn Palace. If you had heard about Maria Theresa of Austria, well, she has to be one of the most famous residents of the palace (restoring power to where it belong to her family, and this is despite she is woman and how women are being perceived in the early days, even in royalty). If you know about Marie Antoinette too, she is one Maria Theresea's children actually. That is another matter. And if you know your news, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is also based there.

When it comes to sport, what does Vienna offer? I know, I have to stick with the theme of Euro 2008 somehow. The two best known football clubs in Austria are from the capital - Rapid Vienna, Austria Vienna. The Vienna derby, as what I learned, is always said to be one of the highlights on the Austrian footballing calendar. Hang on, I did mentioned this before. Here! Just scroll down once you click on the link. Moral of the story, sometimes it doesn't hurt when reading the profile of a national coach...look at the clubs being mentioned in the profile. It might be an amateur club you might not had heard of, still, it's something new to be learned (I'm not going to start to ramble off what I know of a certain Germany coach's connections with Austria Vienna) and no harm done. The Ernst Happel Stadion (the largest in the country) will be the stage for these matches in Euro 2008 (so read carefully if you are interested, I'm going to say this once) - Austria v Croatia, Austria v Poland, Austria v Germany, two quarter-finals, semi-final and final.

I might as well be reminding myself of those fixtures too, given it does concern my team which is going to be in Euro 2008 - Germany. Okay, next up - Klagenfurt. I admit I don't know anything of Klagenfurt...that is until of a certain news report. Back then after reading that report, I went to do a quick search on the population. As of 2006, it has 90,000 over people. Sidethought: No wonder Jogi was complaining the stadium size... Is red-faced when thinking about it.

After a so-called infamous start of knowing a city, this is what I gathered. Or rather, I find this interesting. Legend has it that Klagenfurt was founded after a brave man killed a dragon ("Lindwurm") in the moors around here. A statue in the town center commemorates this. In reality, it was founded by the Count of Carinthia, Duke Herman, as a stronghold across the commercial routes in the area, it is mentioned for the first time in the late 12th century as Forum Chlagenvurth. That settlement occupied an area who was subject to frequent floods, so in 1246 his son, duke Bernhard von Spanheim founded it again in a more secure position. It received city rights in 1252. I got that from Wikipedia. Also listen up, travel and culture freaks. In addition to cultural attractions and activities available in and around Klagenfurt, this city has one more important attribute that must be mentioned. Klagenfurt is in a central location to many other great European destinations. In the heart of Europe, Klagenfurt is only a couple of hours from Italy, Slovenia, Vienna, Salzburg, Hungary, and much more. Local residents in Klagenfurt have the luxury of being able to access these culturally diverse regions with relative ease.

I think I know what to do. Okay, football wise...it's where SK Austria Kärnten and FC Kärnten are based. While the former plays in the T-Mobile Bundesliga (first division), the latter plays in Austrian Football First League (actually it's the second division). For Euro 2008, Klagenfurt's Hypo-Arena, or being called Wörthersee-Stadion by it's old name, will be used for this matches (you know the drill, if you are going to watch the matches live and your team is listed here) - Germany v Poland, Croatia v Germany, Poland v Croatia. Cracker...especially the first one. Going to be, interesting. And it reminds me (if you are planning to travel to Austria to watch the group matches, that is if you live in Germany) - Tickets for the tournament will start selling on Tuesday (by the German Football Federation website). First come first served given it's limited. Cliche, but true. I. want. the. tickets. But I have to resort to watch it on TV instead...that is if it's going to be on here after all.

Salzburg now. Three words - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. It's where the famous composer comes from. Also, if you know your The Sound Of Music, it's where most of the film settings took place. And how nice it's going to be that it's also one of the Euro 2008 host cities. Anyhow, population (as of 2007) - 48,945.

What I also find it amazing that one of the two original composers of one of the all-time famous Christmas carol Silent Night (Stille Nacht, in German...and that is the original language being sung) was born in Slazburg. If Wikipedia is accurate, then it's where priest and composer Josef Mohr was born. My word, Silent Night has to be one of my favourite carols. One more reason for me to visit Salzburg. Anyhow, if you do also like your music (classical, that is), the Salzburg Festival is definitely something you should check out if you are there. That is if you are there for 5 weeks starting in late July.

On the sporting side of things, it's where FC Red Bull Salzburg is based. This football club first came into real prominence for me when former German international Lothar Matthäus left his coaching position last year (and return to Germany and becoming a TV pundit), which he shares with the current coach Giovanni Trapattoni. For whatever reasons, I had forgotten now. But I do know for a period of time (even before Ottmar Hitzfeld took the job, replacing Felix Magath), he was being linked to the Bayern Munich (where he used to be a player and oh, used to never get along with impending coach Juergen Klinsmann when both play for Bayern and on the international level, Germany) coaching job before we all know the story. Anyhow, Wals Siezenheim Stadium will be used for this matches in Euro 2008 - Greece v Sweden, Greece v Russia, Greece v Spain.

Innsbruck will be the last city to be featured. Four host cities for Austria, and the same for Switzerland. Anyhow...why for some mysterious reason, Innsbruck just rings a bell in my head? I wish I know! Anyhow, this is the population - 117,916 (as of 2007).

One of the things Innsbruck is famous is the skiing. That was what I remembered from watching a travel programme on the cable when it was featuring Innsbruck. Why? It's due (from Wikipedia) to its location between high mountains. It even hosted the Winter Olympics twice. Oh yes, tourism also plays an important in the city's economy too. From Wikipedia - largely because of Innsbruck's beautiful town centre with its historic buildings, the friendly ambience and the extensive sport facilities both in winter and in summer.

During Euro 2008, the Tivoli Neu (where FC Wacker Innsbruck is based) will be used to host these matches - Spain v Russia, Sweden v Spain, Russia v Sweden.

Phew. These are my links which were being used for this first of the two part series - Austria, Vienna, Klagenfurt, Salzburg, Innsbruck. Want more reading of the various Austrian host cities? Over here and from there, just click on the host city of your choice. Have fun. That is all I can say. Bye for now!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...