Saturday, September 08, 2007

Staring qualifiers in the face

I lost my voice. Almost. But I found myself arguing with my brother this morning as I was having my breakfast. This is scary. Given my when my father returned home late yesterday night, trying to discuss the sports news of the day (Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger extending his contract till 2011, the free practice times at the F1 leg in Italy), was almost an uphill task.

Uphill task. Here we go again. Euro 2008 qualifiers. Why do I get the feeling England will sneak in a win? Why do I get a feeling Germany will score and Wales may sneak in a goal against the Germans (and maybe the former dropping two points for this qualifier in Cardiff)? But even before I read on Wikipedia that the Millennium Stadium has an 'away team hoodoo' (interesting...), it was already the feeling I get. Not that my opinion of the Nationalmannschaft had changed dramatically after the friendly they had against England at the Wembley two weeks ago in which they won, I was thinking of this scoreline: Bulgaria 0-1 Wales. Freddy Eastwood scored in his debut in that friendly which happened on the same day where two long-time footballing rivals 'battle' at the Wembley.

The last time Wales and Germany met was five years ago, in a friendly. Wales 1-0 Germany. I kid you not. This was what I found out online. The now Blackburn manager Mark Hughes (aka Sparky) who has a German connection of sorts (he was once on loan to Bayern Munich), was Wales national coach then. Enough of history. Go back to the present.

So I had been trying to gauge who's fit, who's not, who's doubtful. I need to remind myself that the 2-1 scoreline at the Wembley two weeks back is more or less history. I know Scotland coach Alex McLeish had once said it's win or bust for the Scots (they are up against Lithuania in their qualifier and for their opponents, six play in the Scottish Premier League actually and so those 'home' advantage), but I have to say...it's definitely win or bust for England. Simply because of many reasons. Yeah.

The thought of already losing to one of their long-time footballing rivals in a friendly at the Wembley, how much can the patriotic (which I can understand) English press stomach? For me, I am getting more and more worried. I am more or less fine now (except I still need to finish my antibiotics and that stubborn phlegm which I had been trying to cough it out), and I don't need any more events to make me feel sick again. Literal or not.

I am very scared. Seriously. Scared that England may not qualify for Euro 2008, scared that Steve McClaren is getting the stick again. Actually even when watching the friendly on the cable last month, I was actually kind of tense initially. This is the Wembley we are talking over here. But the football culture in England is such that...I don't know.

Even my father is commenting recently that the injury list for England is growing. I am not the only one. England is going to host Israel and Russia at the Wembley today and next Wednesday respectively. Somebody better give me more reasons of optimism. I am having it, but not totally. England is still fourth in their qualifying group. Anywhere but the top two...it's over. My studies now well...anyhow, I don't want to see any more troubled times ahead for the Three Lions. I want something to make me feel happy about in my life. I had enough setbacks to make me feel demoralised at times.

So in the Germany corner, most of those whom we are so used to seeing on the pitch had returned. Reasons to...cheer. Watch out Wales, the Germans are coming. But then I secretly suspect...I may be cheering for Freddy Eastwood as well (that is if he starts). One very nice goal against the Bulgarians. One more in the making against my other favourite national team? Freddy, I still remember that goal you scored against my favourite club (yes, just like you) Manchester United in the League Cup last year! Now to think of it, if not for that goal then, I wouldn't know who he is.

It will be in November where everything will be revealed on who will be going to Austria and Switzerland. This is almost to the final leg.

It ain't over till it's over.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...