I thought I was seeing things when I took the lift downstairs to the carpark today. The lift's interor has changed. Okay, laugh at me for not heading out of the house during the holidays, except for my remedial lessons on Sundays. That is me.
I mean, Mother called me that she had forgotten to bring her medicine and she asked me to bring it to Dad, who is well, at the carpark downstairs of the condo we are living. I guess they had not left yet because Dad told me that Mother was at the toilet near the swimming pool. Mother and Felicia needed to see the doctor that's why. Dad actually came home today to have lunch before he fetched Mother, Felicia and Alvin to the doctor's, well, Alvin had to follow them because Mother said so.
I was surprised to receive a SMS message from Lai Peng today. I almost forgot that she and Soo Hong are still having their Beijing trip. It's a school one. Well, she just asked me to inform her parents of calling her and I did just that. Mission accomplished there.
When Dad came home today for lunch, he told me that New York could possibly draw out in the race to host the 2012 Olympic Games altogether. Because of something the New York committee (or something like that) could not agree on, as according to what he knew through the radio. I even read in the papers and watched the news that hours after New York received favourable review from the IOC (just like Madrid), the plan of building a stadium in time for the Games fell apart. And according to the New York mayor Michael Bloomberg (in my opinion, a rather traditional American fashion of saying), "We had let America down." Now they have to do something about it or else we will see one less city coming down here next month around July 6 or 7 (I forgot the exact date!) in knowing the fate. Or maybe there will be only three cities left. Moscow is the reason why. The only contending city to have a not-so-nice review from the IOC. Okay, not going to stir up things here but then this is the news I know of now.
But then I understand from reading the sports section of today's The Straits Times that Paris had actually two major setbacks in terms of being a contending city to host the Games. I remembered the last time (in my own living memory) they actually lost out to Beijing to host the 2008 Games where many had thought Paris was going to get it but then, Beijing was even more dead serious of hosting it and they got it...even though Beijing is a first-time contender then! Yes, China is already opening up more to the world. How about the time in 1986 where the IOC will decide which city is going to host the 1992 Games? The IOC met somewhere in France (heck, I forgot where) but eventually in the end..Barcelona was given the nod. I never knew of this story till I read the papers today. I only remembered the first one because back then I did read reports about it. No wonder now Paris is so dead serious in hosting the Games. And like London, they had a very good review from the IOC.
And so the race still continues...