One more year before it's the Olympics in Beijing. One more day left before it's the National Day here. Which do I care more? Nationality: Singaporean. Race: Chinese. I did watched the Olympics countdown celebrations on TV. Suddenly today I was reflecting on what it really means to be a Singaporean - on the MRT train (while reading 8-Days, the 9 August edition).
I know I have not been reading the papers these days since the last Saturday's edition (just halfway through the Saturday section where the front page is previewing China preparing the Olympics). But whatever the world is saying about the world's most populous nation in its preparations and everything else in between (let's not talk about politics here now), I am not totally blinded by it. Just flipping those news channels on the cable (BBC, CNN, CCTV) and even CNA after 8pm today, it's the same thing. Countdown celebrations from Beijing itself.
For a moment I was musing (as I was watching the celebrations) - who will have thought this day will arrive for China...and the world is actually watching? Six years ago, I was among those watching from the TV that the International Olympic Committee had announced that Beijing will be the host of the 2008 Games. Being someone of Chinese ancestry, I was naturally very happy. I was in Secondary Two at that time. The thought at my grandparents' birthplace (China, that is...Beijing's the capital) hosting a major sporting event was just - exciting. I thought I almost cried with happiness. All the more it made me wanted to visit their birthplace.
But what does a then naive 14-year-old know about press freedom, human rights, environmental issues and everything else which are hard topics to her? Because six years on, those are the pressing issues. The international media and the world is waiting. Not everyone is happy. And then there is the issue of doping. In the 90s, China sports was almost in a disarray after a series of doping. It will be easy to point fingers once again. But whatever it is, I only want to see healthy competition. Sport is sport, nothing else.
Politics almost came into view before the ball was being kicked in Munich (given the opening group game at that time was held there: Germany versus Costa Rica) last year ahead of the football World Cup. It's because of the Iranian president. Many are aware of his stance towards Israel. But what happened in the end? All in all, except for the occasional fan violence (which are not really that serious...or I don't know), it's a peaceful tournament.
Singapore has come a long way. Seriously. 42 years now (or at least it will be tomorrow). Who will have thought? We are among the most liveable cities in the world as according to international lifestyle magazine Monocle - ranked 17 out of 20 (with no offence...take that, London and Paris). It's for those who think Singapore is not. There's reasons for optimism. I am being serious!
To tell that special someone that you love him/her...it can be easy for some, but not for others. It's the same with telling a country that. To bring back one of Shakespeare's famous literary quotes - How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. It, fits. I have my grudges, but I am also someone who is so easy to please. Given life is too short to complain so much. It's another Singaporean trait - complain.
I was on the MRT today (because of classes) and especially on the ride home, the reflection on all-things Singaporean and what it means to be a Singaporean came about. The fact that the MRT I was boarding almost never came about almost 20 years ago (it will be in November). The man who will eventually become our President (the late Ong Teng Cheong was the Transport Minister at that time) was the one who proposed the idea. It's one of the best things he had left behind, other than raising the level of the arts scene here (he himself used to take piano lessons).
We are Singapore...Singaporeans (guess I had always knew why 'We Are Singapore' is my most favourite National Day song).