Wednesday, September 12, 2007

State of play

Someone just cannot resist singing this part in the house on Monday night - Don't cry for me Argentina... My father. It came from the Evita soundtrack. There was results from the opening day of the Women's World Cup in China and Germany had thrashed Argentina by 11-0. Yes, women's football. It's starting to become serious business.

But then again, it's also almost serious business in Germany. Other than their more famous male counterparts. Sigh, if only it's also being taken on the same level here. I don't know, it's the attitude. Broadcast rights for the event in China has increased, but it's not shown here. If my past schooldays are anything to go by, we girls do know how to play football. My ex-female classmates can give the guys in the class a run for their money. Football not for the ladies? Get a life. Though I had been sort of 'traumatised' since the day my spectacles was being hit by a ball when I was in primary school, I always admire my own species playing like real boys during PE. One case in point - when I was in Secondary One during PE. One strike from one of my female classmates, enough to make me think - Do not mess with her! Tomboys...this word is around for a reason.

If only women's football is being taken notice on the same scale here, just like men's football. If only England's Euro 2008 qualification hopes had already been more or less sealed.

But unfortunately at the moment, it's not. A narrow win against Russia on the cards, is what I am hoping for the least. I was already glad my prediction for a narrow win (1-0) against Israel was wrong. It's 3-0 instead. Please, prove once again whom you guys are made of! Make all those critics keep their mouth shut for a long time to come! I can't stand the thought of not seeing of one of my two favourite national teams not in Austria and Switzerland next year. No more 1994 (the time where England lost out in qualifying for the World Cup in the States) once again.

I know many are envious of what Germany has done so far. I am not afraid to say I am one of those. If the Irish fail to beat the Czechs in Prague on the same day where Nationalmannschaft is having a friendly match against Romania, they will be the first team to qualify. England was meant to be part of this group after the draw happened, but it went all crazy of a sudden during the qualifying rounds.

Peter Crouch is back from suspension. So who should Steve McClaren pick to be his strikers up front against the Russians? Emile Heskey has been receiving praises from his teammates and his national boss after the win over Israel. Michael Owen scored a wonder goal against Israel, which I did saw in the highlights on ESPN Sportscenter Asia on Monday. It has been more or less proven the Owen-Heskey partnership do work. After all, it does in the past.

The thing about Crouch's goal-scoring record is that unless he starts (for club and country), the chances of him scoring if he comes off the bench is little. Suddenly after the win on Saturday, it's a headache selecting who should be up front against Russia. Three more points, and England will be...second. I want to see that happening.

The last time England met Russia, it was 15 years ago at a friendly in Moscow (where it was a draw). But the last time Guus Hiddink faced the English, it was in Euro 1996 where he was the coach of the Dutch national team. The now assistant to McClaren, Terry Venables's England whacked the Dutch 4-1 then. So much had happened since. So far in Euro 2008 qualifying, Russia has only conceded a goal in Group E.

Looking at the current FIFA rankings, it should do England good. But then, among all the teams England had met in their qualifying rounds so far, they have not met Russia yet. There is still the away leg in Moscow. Sometimes past records don't always the reflect the whole thing, but at least it's a gauge of what's to come.

The Scots are travelling to France for their qualifier. Now slowly, there is the belief maybe Scotland can qualify for Austria and Switzerland next year. Their shock 1-0 win over France when the Les Bleus came to Hampden made headlines. Italy's position is almost under threat. There is the must-win match over Ukraine. On paper, at least to me, it should had been last year World Cup's two finalists qualifying together. But if the qualifying rounds are anything to go by, look at Spain. What is going on? A draw with Iceland on last Saturday? Huh? This is weird. My father and I were discussing about Euro 2008 and we did touched on the topic of the Spanish national team. Many like their domestic league. But the national team, eh...I don't know.

I was reading who is expected to be on the line-up when Germany face Romania in the friendly. It will be slightly different from whom were part of the 2-0 win over Wales. And the last time these two met for a friendly, it was Romania whom hammered 5-1 against their opponents. Hmm. How much should I read into that?

But if there is one thing I need not read too much into, it's what will happen after the friendly in Cologne. Germany national Joachim Loew will be asking Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho what is really going on with his captain. Chelsea and the German national football team are having strained relations over Michael Ballack. What is all started with the Germany captain returning back home for treatment last year over his injury which made Chelsea not so happy, has almost...spun out of control. Then there was the issue of Ballack not being part of the Chelsea squad for the Champions League group stages. The latest is apparently, Chelsea did not want Ballack to be part of a promotional ad for addidas (coincidentally, both Chelsea and the German national team are sponsored by addidas). The club had denied the claim, but it was already too late for the German national team.

I thought the telephone confrontation between Sir Alex Ferguson and the former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson ahead of the World Cup last year (over Wayne Rooney's fitness) will be one incident which will not happen again. Back then, it was me thinking from the viewpoint of a Manchester United supporter. Now from the viewpoint of someone who supports the German national team...after tomorrow (local time), I don't want to 'see' another repeat again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...