Two very interesting and exciting stuff happened today in school. One happened in my class and another is a school thing but still, you will know...
The class of IQH now has a new student. She goes by the name of Janice Chong. I hope I spell her name correctly because that is what Miss Foo introduced to us as! Now the class has two students going by the same Christian name but different surnames! Back then in my BPS days, we settled by calling not only the Christian name and the surname as well. Makes stuff going around easier for the teachers and the students in the class. Imagine your class got two students going by the name of Joanne, what are you going to do? Better call them by surname as well! That was what happened to my class then. From Sec 2 to 4, I got two classmates going by the name of Joanne. The same two girls who were in the same class with me from Sec 2 to 4, even though Joanne Tan was my classmate ever since we were both in 1A1 and even in the same History elective and Food & Nutrition class too! Small world, huh?
And so, the exchange students from China came to our school today. The Campus Manager Mr Steven Low informed us about it at the Morning Assembly. I expected this for some time because Soo Hong and Lai Peng were among those selected from our class in IQH to be in Beijing in June for a student exchange trip! Lucky duckies they are.
Edmund is soooo lame today during Communication For Business! So, two of Miss Foo's former students came to visit her (both are in polys now, according to Miss Foo) and Edmund asked if those two were the ones from China. We all shook our heads and cracked up.
So, what is this about the writing competition on the title? I read the latest issue of 8-Days that Dad got me (Li-Lin and her daughter is on the cover) today and I came across this advertisement in there. It's organised by the National Arts Council and it's called Golden Point Award 2005. A national writing competition, in short.
I know, I know. Go for it, right? I told Dad that I was toying with the idea. He knows well I love to write (and even reminded me that I wrote a full-length novel before. Yeah right. I tried with two but stopped halfway and never went back since because I thought both kind of sucked when I read it myself. Never mind!) and so when I told him about the rules and regulations, writing a short story requires a minimum of 2,500 words and not exceeding 10,000 words. Holy goodness! I know I can be a little long-winded sometimes (I admit it, okay?! Can't help it.) but 2,500 words?! Help me over here!
Anyhow, I still printed out the copy of the rules and regulations and even the application form, should I want to participate after all. I got a few ideas running in my head (since it can be any theme) but then, hmm!