Thursday, June 29, 2006

Football - always a very funny thing

One of those signs I am so into the World Cup right now - (thinking) What?! No matches for Wednesday and Thursday? Yeah, I know. It then hit me all over again as I saw the fixtures that the quarter-finals actually start on this Friday with the Germany-Argentina match.

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!! Given I told my father during the Brazil-Ghana match that I rather watched the German squad playing anytime over the Brazilians, it's one thing I looked forward to.

I joked to my father yesterday night as we were watching the final parts of the repeat of Spain-France match that he can rest for two days. And I know my father will surely need all those because of the lack of sleep he has been getting these days since the World Cup kicks off. I commented about the both of us have to keep our mouths shut for now given we both thought that France will not advance to the quarter-finals as its one of those days where we get it all wrong. I even reviewed with my father so far on his predictions of the round-of-16 matches and I joked that since he got 4 out of 6 matches correct in terms of the results (the Netherlands-Portugal and Spain-France are both he got the results wrong), it's a 66.6%, like what happened in our GE. LOL!

Dad commented it was 'very good' and I laughed. And I told him it's a B3 as according to 'O-Level standards' (as what I said to him) after some thought because I almost forgot how it should be awarded. Doggone it.

We both reviewed together about which squad will advance from the quarter-finals as well. I know for my father, being an England fan through and through (though now at times he really wondered what is happening with the English squad) since in his teens given the EPL exposure, his personal wish of seeing a Germany-England final is starting to become clearer. Provided they can beat Portugal in the quarter-finals and beat Brazil in the semis (my father and I are very sure England will meet them there). Yeah, we want to see Brazil in the third-fourth playoff. Ha ha ha. Then it will be like what I told my father last night as we were reviewing the remaining matches, the 1966 World Cup final all over again...though at that time, it's West Germany versus England then. Technically, it's still kind of same. Eh, yeah.

Ukraine maybe advancing to the semis after beating Italy? I can actually kind of seeing it coming...but maybe not so much for my father. Given Ukraine is the only debutants in this World Cup so far to have advanced till this stage, it's no mean feat. You got to hand it to them. They have become another real serious contenders now...eh, do I hear those Star Trek music? LOL.

If it is true from what I had read that referee Graham Poll is no longer needed at the future matches (because my 'own sources' are telling me that some referees will be sent home after FIFA reviewing the referees' performance so far...and many are asking right now, even FIFA head Sepp Blatter, what is happening to the referees so far in this tournament?), someone in the house is going to celebrate. My father. I always told him 'jokingly' that since he is a Manchester United fan because my father always loudly delcared that Graham Poll is always siding with Arsenal in those EPL matches. But maybe given the seriousness my father had witnessed so far in this World Cup (FIFA's Sepp Blatter once commented that Poll deserves a yellow card for giving out...three yellow cards to one of the players before releasing that player needs to be sent off after two yellow cards), I know he cannot wait to see Graham Poll gone.

Geez. Football is always a very funny thing.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...