Monday, July 03, 2006

The ball is, round

Seriously. At times I am battling with myself. With so many things I can or may not understand at all.

By now, the semi-finalists of the 18th World Cup in Germany has been unveiled. And nope, England is not on the list. Why? With their quarter-final encounter with Portugal, the former lost out through...penalty shootout once again. The match did went into extra-time after it was a goaless draw and nothing came out of the extra-time. Till the dreaded penalty shootout. All along as far as I know (through my father), England had always lost out on penalties in often most of the time - crucial matches like the World Cup knockout stages. Often during the time of an important football tournament rolled in, Dad will lament about England's experience with penalty shootouts.

I was thinking after I learnt of England's fate, the 'curse' is still there. Until something had been corrected, England can then really tell the world's football scene why their English Premier League (EPL) is really the best football league. In the entire world. I mean, I had heard about that claim before. In this World Cup so far in Germany, some of the time, the scorers represent a football club in the EPL. More dominant than the other football leagues, more than the other European football leagues too. My father, the EPL fan since his early teens, had been the one who told me who's playing in whatever football club in the EPL as the World Cup is still going on. I do aware of some names, but my father has most of the answers.

I understand I might had mentioned it here before. About how I was being influenced from my football-mad father.

Anyhow, I did though about my father's reactions to England's exit. I had not really read the papers this morning, I know Dad almost cried foul (literally) the moment he knew the referee for that match against Portugal is from Argentina. The football animosity between England and Argentina...many are aware of it. And what happened during the match? Dad told me yesterday that the referee is clearly siding Portugal from the start. I don't know, but my father saw the entire match. Whatever happened is for all to see. I only watched the first half with him though.

Clairvoyant. According to one of the two meanings I found at the Collins Cobuild English Dictionary for Advanced Learners, it is 'Someone who is clairvoyant is believed to know about future events or to be able to communicate with dead people.' Okay, I don't belong to the latter part, but it's the former I want to discuss about. Based on what I found out (my father was the one who wanted to find out first and so I helped him in the 'research') other than Brazil winning one of their five World Cups in Sweden 1958, they always lose out when the World Cup is held in Europe. If it's outside of Europe, they always stand a good chance. Four years back...it's in Japan/South Korea. Brazil was the winner. What I am trying to say is, ever since Germany 2006 started, I knew an European nation will win the World Cup this time.

I know practically everywhere if you are asked anyone which nation is going to lift the trophy, chances are most of the time it's - Brazil. Like many, I do acknowledged as well that the Brazilian squad is a good football team...and like the best in the world. I still stuck to my guns and I won in the end. I based my prediction on what my father and I found out on past World Cup winners...and also partly my sentimental reasons that I hate to see Brazil winning the sixth time. Give other nations a chance!

And I proudly declared (sort of) my happiness over France's win over Brazil at the quarters over at the hairdresser's yesterday. The woman who is cutting my hair (I'm there with my family) is not happy at Brazil's exit. It's where I said that I was glad they were gone. France '98 World Cup Final all over again, but this time it's at quarter-final stages. Many had been saying so many veterans on the current French squad (where some were part of the winning team then) and it's time for Les Bleus to go in the early stages...even me. But as the saying goes - the ball is round. Anything can happen.

My father drew the conclusion once (after our findings) that whenever a national squad like Brazil is not among the favourites in the World Cup, the squad can progress far. Brazil, not the favourites four years back (France and Argentina among the ones then and eventually, they crashed out in the first round!), but they won. See?

Germany is what my father saying now to win the World Cup. On home soil too. I know this will mean a lot to the host nation. I understand. More than facing the nation's expectations, I mean. These days whenever I watched the news and seeing the Germans celebrating and waving their country's flag, I always knew it's about time they do it. Whatever I learnt back in my History classes are what they rather want to forget and now they are almost there at the final (they have to beat Italy in the semis first!), I know I am smiling for them. Go Germany!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...