Saturday, May 13, 2006

When you believe...and remember

I had initially wanted to use Carrie Underwood's Whenever You Remember from her Some Hearts album because I had no idea what title to use for this entry actually. The title you see is the 'modification' of it. Ha ha.

I had always remembered that The Prince of Egypt's soundtrack When You Believe was used as part of my alma mater BPS's 10th anniversary concert back in 2002. The song which always almost brought me to tears just listening to it. Because it always brought back those days in BPS for me. Now with the upcoming release of The Da Vinci Code movie, it has started to challenge the Christian faith once again. Or maybe since when the novel's popularity shot through the roof. Because as I was reading the papers this evening and watching the evening news at the same time, it's advertisements time and I remembered the trailer to The Da Vinci Code (because the news is on Channel 8 and so in Mandarin) had said something like 'No matter what you believe...' in Mandarin. It gave me the idea of the entry for today.

How many times we always want to deny whatever supposedly new discoveries about the religion we followed kind of contradicted what we always know? Tell me about it. I am a free-thinker, but then my family especially my mother is a Buddhist. I once attended a Presbyterian missionary school in my primary school days (because of short traveling distance then and the standards of English being taught which my father had heard of). I have friends of different faiths. So don't say I am against religion. All these things had formed the foundation of sorts for me.

I had never realised those foundations will come in handy especially learning about the buzz and the controversy over Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. Using what I know from those weekly chapel sessions in my KCPPS years and the novel's content (where some things about Christianity are what I had never aware of), it all boils down as a result of those past History classes in BPS days that I know how to evaluate whatever's being mentioned in the novel. History students are aware that attempting source-based questions is the norm. Yeah, no one likes it but someone has to do it. I guess I had always knew why I took up History elective in Sec 3 and 4 (as part of Combined Humanities) for a reason. Ta-da, The Da Vinci Code became the 'focusing point' now. From my daily life to weekly chapel sessions in primary school to those History classes in secondary school, nothing is being spared on determining what is fact and fiction in The Da Vinci Code. Heh heh.

I can literally image myself being 'dragged' for the game of badminton today. Since my father had booked the court today, I cannot say no. What I realised? I think my badminton skills kind of dropped a little somehow. Ouch. But I still know how to play. The basics will always be there no matter how rusty one's skills can be. It's just one of those things which will stick to you always.

Oh my goodness. You know I am reading Angels & Demons at the moment and I guessed I understood why some novels are just meant to be so fast-paced and exciting. The Da Vinci Code is fast-paced too, from what I know.

Tomorrow is Mothers' Day. Time flies, eh? Really. Bye!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...