Thursday, September 13, 2007

What is shaky, and not

It was a little shaky this morning. Earthquake tremors being felt at where I am. I know there was an earthquake in Indonesia last night which sent tremors around the country. But I did not felt it until I saw the news.

As I was using the computer, I just felt that the computer chair I was sitting seemed to be moving. It freaked me a little. Given for the first time in my life, it's the first time I had experienced an earthquake tremor. I am always the last to know that an earthquake has happened, until I know it on the news.

A little shaky this morning, yes. But the Euro 2008 qualifiers...from the likes of it at the moment, England's qualifying position is not so shaky. Six points from two matches. Coincidentally, both with the same 3-0 scoreline. Russia is more of a bigger hurdle than Israel (in which England beat over the weekend), given of Russia's qualifying records ahead of the Wembley encounter. Suddenly, there is hope. Suddenly, those chances of qualifying for Euro 2008 has started to become even more clearer. England is now second in the qualifying group, just behind leaders Croatia. Three more matches left (against Estonia and Croatia at the Wembley), with an away trip to Moscow next month, after the one against Estonia. The one against Croatia will be in November. By right, England should beat Estonia next month. They did that when they travelled to Estonia's capital Tallin in June. Scoring three goals seemed to be the name of the game now.

I actually went to bed early last night. But watching England playing against Russia? Maybe I am a little superstitious, but it was not in my plans. My original plan was to watch the delayed telecast of the Germany-Romania friendly. I know I missed the time when they lost to Croatia. The time when they meet Germany last month for a friendly, I know I cannot miss it for the world. Simply because it's two of my favourite national teams playing against each other. And, they lost. I slept through the time when they beat Israel.

The alarm clock first woke me up at 4.15am. I had originally planned to wake up at 4.30am. I opened the door and saw there was lights coming from the living room. I had almost forgotten that the England game is still going on. It began at 3am. I went out again minutes later, and my father was in the kitchen...surprised to see me. 20 minutes left before the final whistle, and England had been leading by two goals. My father was clearly happy when he told me the main highlights. We then both watched the match together. I never said that I wanted to watch the Germany match (it started at 4.30am on SuperSports), given England's qualifying situation is all that matters to me then. Three points or bust.

Then minutes from the full whistle, a third England goal. After eventual Man Of The Match Michael Owen's two initial goals, it's from Rio Ferdinand this time. I was smiling. When the whistle was blown for full time, I was celebrating. Three more points in the bag. England has overtaken Russia and take the second spot in Group E. Like what West Ham fans used to say before the end of the previous Premier League season before their club performed the 'great escape' - We are staying up! I had always knew I had not given up on England. Even when Steve McClaren had been criticised left, right and centre for whatever he has done until his side started to find their form after a string of not-so-nice results. I always knew the Three Lions will fight back right in front of their home crowd at the Wembley.

Somehow, the injuries which has been dogging the England squad...became a blessing in disguise. Somehow, the team which Steve McClaren has put up for the two qualifiers against Israel and Russia, had worked. It's the same first 11 which has beaten Israel, lining up against Russia. In-ger-lund, In-ger-lund! Suddenly it's nice to be an England fan all over again, after all that I had felt since last month after the friendly at the Wembley. I know I'm happy that Germany won then (from the viewpoint of someone who supports Germany as well), but my mind was on the England team most of the time.

I did eventually watch the Germany-Romania friendly. The initial scoreline scare me for a bit. Germany a goal down? Okay, I did cheated for a while and went to CNA and switched on the Teletext. The final score from Cologne (where the friendly was held) - Germany 3-1 Romania. As I was watching (I did not watched it till the end given my father came out of the room and asked why I am not sleeping as it was close to 6am), I was already thinking that Germany can get ready to be in Austria and Switzerland next year, after Czech Republic beat Ireland 1-0. An Irish win mean that the race to qualify with Germany together in the same group, is still kind of open.

So while Steve Staunton (Ireland national coach) had said that his side never really recover from the late Slovakian equaliser (this was on Saturday) which saw the eventual result to be 2-2, this is another blow. Ireland is still third in Group D, but they are eight points behind leaders Germany. The Czechs are now just two points behind. Next month, the Germans are coming to Croke Park, Ireland. Anything less than a point at Croke Park next month means...Ireland is out of qualification. I tell you, if I have my way, I want Ireland and Czech Republic to qualify together with Germany. But only two teams from this group can qualify. On paper, Germany and Czech Republic should advance together. The former is true.

Scotland had did a double against France! I don't know is it partly due to the fans' factor given 20,000-something Scotland fans travel to France when the Tartan Army faces the Les Bleus. 1-0 again, but this time to the visitors. Scotland is now top of their qualifying group! For a side thought, Scotland is in the Rugby World Cup as well (which is held in France at the moment)...

Until October comes along, it's back to club football this weekend...and Champions League towards the end of the month. On the second-last week.

As I am updating this, there has been no more tremors at where I am. Once is enough to freak me out, even if it's only for a while.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...