Monday, August 08, 2005

The National Day Eve

It's National Day Eve today. Excitement in the air already. Eeeee.

Goodness me. There was rain this morning. I expected it because of the thunder I heard minutes after I woke up today. But the rain was over soon. Still, I had to head to the Multi-Purpose Hall for the usual morning assembly stuff and the celebrations...and I felt lost. It was a state of confusion, you know. I had no idea where to sit! Till I found a few of my classmates and we found a place to sit. That was what it's like.

I was feeling all the goosebumps as I was singing the National Anthem. I sang as loud as I can, considering I must be one of the few who actually sang it at the morning assembly. I mean, it has been the case for so long. I must had been too much of a 'good girl'. I know. It has been in me for as long as I know. After all, whenever I hear the beginning strains of the National Anthem, I will always want to stand up and sing with all my might and pride of being who I am - Singaporean. I had been doing that for the past National Day Parade, watching it the events from home. And making Mother saying I was crazy. Oh well. How about the time of the official opening ceremony of the IOC Session at The Esplanade last month? I almost wanted to stand up and sing too. So tempting!

So after the celebrations at the hall, I went downstairs to the canteen to find Soo Hong. She's the only one who's selling the waffles. Lai Peng had came under the chicken pox. Of course I did bought from Soo Hong! We did chatted and Soo Hong talked about the fishball stall as well. Which makes it all the more tempting to buy some from the stall. Ha. I did, in the end. The weather was cold (thanks to the early morning rain) and so I needed stuff to keep me warm!

Dad did came and fetch me and we caught up with Mother who was at Junction 8. Dad told me that we had to meet Mother there for lunch. So we had lunch at the foodcourt. You know all of a sudden I was just looking at the surroundings around me and I realised...my birthplace had changed a lot in such a short period of time. I know, it was just a sudden occurence. Dad commented that there are so many students at Junction 8 (he might as well be talking about me too) who are wearing red (the National Day colour, duh) and it's difficult to differentiate which students came from which school. LOL. Yeah, Dad is taking the day off till Thursday.

I did used Dad's laptop today in the afternoon. I know, such is rare but then hey, it's National Day Eve and I had nothing to do. I almost wanted to catch up with my Harry Potter reading, you know? Procastinating over that again.

I so know why I wanted to watch the National Day Message by our Prime Minister on CNA today. It's for educational purposes, you know. At least to me. Even Dad joined me in watching and was listening very attentively too. As according to our Prime Minister, there's reasons to celebrate for Singapore's 40th birthday tomorrow. Economy is moving back on track is just one of those reasons. The 117th IOC Session is the other (which the Prime Minister did added about London eventually winning the bid for the hosting of 2012 Games and set me grinning). I so know that event will be brought up. After all, with Singapore hosting that kind of mega event (some years back, it was the inaugural meeting of the WTO - World Trade Organisation which was held here and that was like the last time Singapore play host to an event on a major scale), we can show the world that nothing is impossible for us to host such events again in the near future. Despite our land size and all. Hahaha! And the Prime Minister did said about the IMF (International Monetary Fund) and World Bank are having their meetings here next year. I read that in the papers before.

See what I mean now? The world is trusting us to play host to such events!

My parents and my siblings Alvin and Felicia had already been out at Paris Ris Bowl to prepare for their midnight bolwing tourament (as organised by NTUC; I said it here like yesterday or something) and will only be back in the wee hours of next morning. National Day morning.

Something struck me as I was watching the feature of the Singapore River on CNA earlier last week. Singapore has become the envy of many overseas today because of her achievements which surpassed everyone's inital thoughts on this island nation. But to think, our history actually all began...with the Singapore River. The source of life for many back then when Singapore was in her British colonial years. The place where my grandparents first knew of when they arrived here from their homeland in China. Looking back at how the Singapore River transformed, you cannot imagine how much it has changed. I always feel a sense of nostalgia whenever I read about the London team celebrating their winning bid at a restaurant facing the Singapore River. Uh huh. Raffles City Shopping Centre (and the Raffles City Convention Centre within the building which was the 'battleground' for the 2012 Games bid last month)...with our founding father Sir Stamford Raffles in mind when naming the place. I had been feeling all the goosebumps and the nostalgia all over again.

How much can I really take now, in terms of the nostalgia? It's the eve of the most important day in our calendar, you know? I feel like singing all those national songs I had known since my primary school days now. *singing to the tune of We Are Singapore*
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...