Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Thank you for the music...

I'm still quite in an ABBA mood. That's because I went to watch the musical Mamma Mia! yesterday night. Now I know why Dad said that he enjoyed it when he watched it in London when he was on business trip about two months or so ago. And it's not just because he's a fan of ABBA. That's one of his favourite groups actually.

Actually the title I used is from one the songs that was being used when I watched the musical, in case you want to know.

Well, I went to watch it with my elder cousin, her husband and her sister-in-law actually. When we were in the theatre at The Esplanade, it was so grand. Almost like the Kodak Theatre where they always use for the Oscars. There were quite a number of tourists there too. Even the one beside me (actually a seat was empty in between us) is a tourist as well! And a few beside her too. Also there's a few behind us and I gather that they came from Britain. Their accent says it all.

The story is actually about a bride-to-be (Sophie) searching for who is her true father. And she's doing that is because she wanted her dad to give her away on her wedding day. So she actually invited three guys that her mother (Donna) used to date. It was the discovery of her mother's diary that she knew about her mother's past. Her mother was actually in the dark till Donna saw the guys herself. Among the three guys she used to date - Sam, Harry and Bill, Sam had already been married with kids. He actually told her about it when they were dating. Bill and Harry are still single.

Donna's friends Tanya and Rosie are hilarious. The three of them used to form an all-girl group in their teens and they are just so different from each other. Both Donna's friends are single and actually Tanya was married and divorced - thrice. She is the kind who always like to have a bit of fun. Rosie is more of a tomboy. Donna is a single mother who raises her only child Sophie and handling her business of running an inn at the same time.

But there was a twist on Sophie's wedding day. It was her mother who got married instead. What happened was that before the pastor announce Sophie and Sky (her fiance) husband and wife, Sam (one of Donna's ex-boyfriends) said that he had actually been divorced from his wife and so that makes him a single man again. I almost went into an 'aww...' for Harry because he told Donna that she was the first and the last he loves. So sweet! Harry never said anything at all and that was puzzling but at least now Sophie knows who is her dad now. She told everyone that she and Sky will lead a life of their own.

Well, almost to the end the entire audience (well, almost) stood up under the motion of the cast and we all clapped to the music that the cast and ensemble sang. Two of the three popular songs Mamma Mia! (yes, the name of the musical) and Dancing Queen were being sung at the end.

I was practically on a high after it ended. I really enjoyed it, even though all the songs that were being used were released way before I was born. Okay, from the mid-70s anyway. I was from the late 80s. And I had to thank myself for not catching a nap just once throughout the musical because I was worried it could happen as this is my first time watching it. I even managed to know just about all the songs that were being used!

Hey, I did my homework before I watched the musical, that's why. There used to be an ABBA documentary shown on TV before and I watched it with my dad. For him as he watched the musical in London, it was a time of going back to his teens as he knew instantly what ABBA song the cast and ensemble sang the moment the music starts. He told me that yesterday. For me, it was all about self-discovery of what my dad used to like when he was around my age. Surely recommend anyone who likes a bit of retro if he/she don't born in that era and those who just want to relieve their teenage years. I belong to the former as I'm under the influence of my dad who occasionally talk about what he used to listen at his time. Good influence indeed.

Okay, bye for now. I will be counting down till tonight's Singapore Idol finale. Results will be known tonight as well (at a later time) and we will know who will represent us on World Idol after all, if there is a second season of it. Practically the entire nation is abuzz about it actually.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...