Preview: As the title suggests, it is personal muses on the two national football teams I support. Or rather, the final word of the two national teams for this year (and more). As much as the England-Germany football rivalry is a well-known one in the world of football, I realised I cannot shake off the fact that I actually support both national football teams. The two eternal rivals. And when I thought it was already a heck of reviewing how 2008 has been for both England and Germany even if I enjoyed doing it, I realised there are more stuff out of both camps after those two reviews. An 'encore' to the unofficial football focus series's look-back special.
The paint collector and the wine lover. Now as much as that sounds like a perfect title for a novel, it is not. I am actually referring to the two men in this photo ahead of the Germany-England friendly last month. The two in the foreground, that is. The one on your right in the photo (England coach Fabio Capello) is the paint collector and the one on your left in the photo (Germany coach Joachim Loew) is the wine lover.
While I had never thought that I will ever reveal in the open on what the two coaches like outside of their work, I will never have thought that I will have one more post on my final word on the two national teams I support. On my two footballing worlds. It almost seemed like the footballing gods (no, not referring to the world football governing body FIFA) had planned this from the beginnng for me. Ending the year in international football with a match between my two loves in international football - Germany and England. Two national football teams with contrasting fortunes before and after Euro 2008. During November in Berlin, it was Fabio Capello and the England revival, up against the German national team making all the headliness off the football pitch which also somehow managed to filter back to England. Had the German national team captain Michael Ballack not play his club football in England (he's with Chelsea), I wondered if all the public spats will still get some interest back in England.
I have to admit, apart from the German national team's decent start to their 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign (three wins and a draw), the public spat in the Mannschaft was the definite black mark this year. I have not even talk about their Euro 2008 adventure (and it was some adventure indeed) yet. For England, it was an initial rocky start for the squad under Fabio Capello. But this was a side overcoming the fact that they never took part in the Euro 2008 tournament in June while their old rival Germany did. And just when the squad gained momentum, came the curse of the friendly matches ahead of the match in Berlin. Players had to be pull out due to injuries. Even if Fabio Capello had said that he had a good working relationship with the Premier League managers ahead of the Germany friendly, The Independent wrote this ahead of the match - Win, lose or draw, Fabio Capello can walk out of the Olympic Stadium here tonight armed with one satisfaction. This is a person who treat friendly matches and qualifying matches as one and the same. I forgot what was the exact sentence, but Capello used to say something about that the training sessions are friendly matches for him.
I know I said in my year in review of the England squad under Fabio Capello that 'if there is anything I have learned in Fabio Capello's first year in charge - If you play regularly and stays fit, you are considered for the national team. Reputation does not count'. Just the day ago, a report came out about how the FA chairman Lord Triesman view Capello's first year in charge, and he raised something I totally agree with as well. Removing the 'funfair' culture surrounding the England squad. Like what I used to say when looking ahead of Fabio Capello's England debut as the coach in the friendly match against Switzerland on what Capello has done after he stepped in - If you want to be world-beaters and have your opponents in awe of you, buck up! Goodbye to slackness, hello hard work. And the FA chairman knew that Capello will not relax until he turn the squad into serious contenders to win the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, even if England under Capello had seen four out of four wins (with the 4-1 away win in Croatia in the mix as well) so far. In fact, the Italian had told Sir Bobby Charlton (who himself was part of the World Cup-winning squad under Sir Alf Ramsey back in the 1966 version) this once - "Charlton, it is my wish to take England to the World Cup final in South Africa."
Out the blue yesterday, I went to search one of my all-time favourite modern Christmas songs (not referring to Christmas carols) in Wham's Last Christmas (it was actually released in 1984...like, a few years before I was born). And at the same time, I realised I was looking at this (click on the photo for the gallery itself)...or rather, at the second photo. Before I get to what I am trying to say, to the tune of the opening lines of Last Christmas - I thought/I had always I admire you/But the next moment you just threw it away/Next time/When I console myself/I just remember what my mother said. Sigh, it always goes back to what my non-football fan mother said during Euro 2008. Oh, how I used to chuckle over what she said. Before it was all shattered when international football matches returned in August, then...it kind of returned ahead of last month before the Germany-England match. I was saying in my year in review of the German national team this - If I ever have self-doubt on the Mannschaft again, I will remember what she used to say about him during the tournament to humour myself. He is actually in good company, given my mother do not use the handsome word on any man, except on my father (I need not know everything about their dating past, unless they talk about it), those male celebrities she knew when growing up and in her teenage years whom she thinks are handsome. *chuckles* I am referring to Fabio Capello's much younger counterpart last month in Berlin, Germany coach Joachim Loew.
I used to run this in my head given it just came out of the blue - Diana/The secondary school days are gone/Wake up/It will never come back! Few weeks ago, I had attempted to have a poem just based on the year that was in the German national team and it even included the Mannschaft coach. Before it turn out to be this. Which is why I said in my opening line of the entry - I almost had a very different entry from this. I realised when I looked back at the year that was in the German national team, it just practically mirror my own entire secondary school days. From the initial days of innocence, to realising that I cannot always depend on luck all the time in my schoolwork, tests and examinations. In the first half of my secondary school days (I spent four years in total), I was in the days of innocence. In the second half, I realised not everything is able to go in the way I wanted and if I do not do something about it, I will not get it. I found out the hard way in the end. Yours truly does not want to talk about it.
I had always knew from the start why the 2006 World Cup for the German national team at their own backyard, I had always use this term 'the so-called summer fairytale' when I want to refer back to the tournament especially of the host national team. Earlier in the week (on the same day when I review on the year that was in the German national team), the Mannschaft coach Joachim Loew was saying that it was a 'concept'. Having the tournament at your own backyard can only help you that much. I had personally remembered how the 2002 World Cup had helped South Korea (even if they actually hosted it together with Japan) in boosting the country's morale during the tournament when a certain Guus Hiddink (now the Russia coach) steered the South Korean national team to the last four (only to lose to the Germans). Watching the TV images six years ago, home support do play a role. It was evident just in the Euro 2008 tournament when heading into the final group stages against neighbour Germany, co-host Austria still has a chance of reaching the knock-out rounds and Germany was in a danger of repeating what happened in Euro 2000 and the 2004 version (out in the group stages). With Austria hoping for another 'Miracle of Cordoba' (in reference to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina where they famously beat then-reigning champions Germany, even sending them out in the process) once more, at their own backyard. We know what happened in the end.
That Michael Ballack free-kick eventually settled the deal. I knew it was some adventure for the German national team during Euro 2008, but that free-kick was my most favourite moment out of the Mannschaft from the tournament itself. I just totally love the way how the Chelsea midfielder and Germany captain took that, given I saw it in front of my own eyes on the TV screen in the living room then. *imitating the TV commentator's voice at that time* That was an absolute screamer! I know the almost-last minute Philipp Lahm's goal in the semi-final against Turkey which sent Germany to the Euro 2008 final had shades of what the Bayern Munich player did in the opening match of the 2006 World Cup against Costa Rica (and Lahm was the opening scorer of the tournament at that time, too). And I know back then after reviewing the semi-final against Turkey, I was like thinking 'Germany doing a Turkey!' (given the Turks had built a reputation during the tournament that they are able to come from behind and win the match and they did it against the Czech Republic, Switzerland and Croatia). But while the Ballack goal against Austria was my favourite, for the Mannschaft coach, that was his most favourite moment from Euro 2008.
The semi-final match between Germany and Turkey was actually famously known as the match where the broadcast of it was broken down three times. It happened here too and I was like 'Argh!'. It was only when I watched the repeat telecast of the entire match, I realised I missed a chunk of what happened given back then during the live broadcast, I depended on the live text commentary online even more of what happened in Basel (even that Philipp Lahm goal too). Back then on how I looked back at the semi-final match - And I totally love Germany coach Joachim Loew's reactions...especially after Philipp Lahm (who was partly responsible for the Turkey equaliser which sent the match into a 2-2 draw), the one who scored in the opener of the World Cup two years ago against Costa Rica, was the one who scored the eventual goal to send Germany to the final. Not only did I watched the repeat of the match, the highlights as well and I giggled each time (the reason for my giggling, this is one of the reasons why). Loew has never been like this before, as far as I can remember. Well, can I say 'adorable'? Even when I looked back at the semi-final match and my mind always tell me that with how Germany did then and they did not deserve to be in the final (given Turkey really gave them a scare from almost the first whistle...all the more admirable given Turkey was bogged down by suspensions and injuries), I still get a kick looking back at the photos from the match.
P.S. There is a reason why all along I had suspected of Loew's dressing sense was like (especially after Reuters's impression of him). In a way, it reminded me of my former Secondary One Science teacher (also in the dressing department). Also a he. For a moment for some reason, I was being transported back to those early secondary school days where life was still more innocent...
I wrote that in a 'profile' of the German national team and its coach ahead of Euro 2008 aptly titled 'Great expectations' (given they were the favourites of the tournament). If Loew's popular predecessor Juergen Klinsmann (now coaching Bayern Munich and if I am not wrong, currently spending his Christmas back in the States with his family) actually reminded me of two of my former English teachers (my Primary Three teacher was the one who always has a smile whenever she entered the class, while the teacher who taught me in Primary Five and Six totally changed the way how I view the language), he himself had always reminded me of my handsome Secondary One Science teacher who does wear glasses (not sure now, but it was the case back then). There is a reason why in my review of the year that was in the Mannschaft, I said this towards the end - Ah, it made me miss my former Science teacher from Secondary One again (and it is especially the second photo in this photo gallery (which one have to click the photo for the gallery) came out today and made me wondered all over again how one of my most favourite former teachers is doing). In Klinsmann's case, the former striker always has a smile on his face and it was him who helped change the notion that Germans do not know how to play exciting football.
When it comes to the man they call 'Jogi' (Joachim Loew's nickname, that is), I think it is still a little early to pass judgement on whether has he improved the Mannshcaft or not. Sure, he did what Juergen Klinsmann had not done (bringing Germany to the final of a major tournament in the form of the Euro 2008 final). But there are the occasional times I found myself at odds with him on what he is doing. Personnel issues, that is all I can say. Because I am not a football coach, I have no right to criticise in the open. As much as I want to be obssessed about football tactics and what makes them tick with some of the most successful football coaches of all time, I do not have all the time in the world to analyse each formation that is in tune with each era. People said that Loew was a genius during the Euro 2008 quarter-final against Portugal that his tactics was spot on. But what happened to the national team after that? And bearing in mind he was actually being 'suspended' during the quarter-finals. So what does this tell us of the national team when he is around or not around? There is also the fitness readiness issue. Even he was saying earlier in the week about the fitness preparations of the players ahead of Euro 2008. And that the fitness levels might had been lower than the 2006 World Cup. It is something he and the coaching staff had already looked to improve on.
I like how England coach Fabio Capello was saying on La Gazzetta dello Sport about being a psychologist (given it was first raised here, on the day he reviewed his first year in charge) - "I have all games and training sessions filmed from above, for personal use. The players have responded well." Considering the Italian's main aim from the start was to find out why the England players always seemed to do well for their clubs, but not when they are with the national team. Also in the same interview - "First of all I wanted to understand, I studied, and with Franco Baldini, my right-hand man, I saw a lot of games. It was a question of recreating the winning mentality. It wasn't easy, but the team grew with each and every game." Bladini has always known to be Capello's side-kick at whichever club the latter went to coach (he is the man in the background ahead of the Germany-England friendly in this photo) and he also followed him when Capello landed the England job. I used to read somewhere that people who knew the former AC Milan, AS Roma, Juventus and Real Madrid coach (Fabio Capello) had said that he and Baldini had never once quarrelled on anything.
Now, what started all the psychologist part (in a meeting with the media on reviewing his first year in charge) - "At that moment (the friendly match against Switzerland in February this year), I knew the problem was in their minds. It is important sometimes to be a pyschologist. We started from the bottom and we've gone up, better and better every game, and we have arrived at a good level. I'm happy with the results and we created a good group and spirit. We have recovered their confidence and that is most important. The spirit of the squad. This is most important. Without the spirit and confidence it is impossible to win. Sometimes you can win one game because one player scores a goal but without spirit it is impossible. But we need good players to win. Good pyschologist, bad players - impossible to win." It was echoed throughout the matches Fabio Capello was in charge. Team spirit, confidence level. Training-wise, Tottenham Hotspur's Darren Bent revealed ahead of the Germany friendly that it has gone up a notch. 'More like club football', what Bent knew from his fellow England team-mates.
Not only those things, Capello had also spoken on the Laureus website on the 'depression' which surrounded the England squad has being lifted during his first year in charge. He also pointed out that they always play better away, and not at home...and so the friendly against Slovakia and the 2010 World Cup qualifiers against Ukraine in April which both will be played at the Wembley (except for the February friendly in Seville against the Spanish national team) will be the ones where he hopes the supporters will get behind them. The fact that the England U-21 coach Stuart Pearce has been seen as a more important colleague among his backroom staff (Capello does still consult with Franco Baldini over major matters) and given Pearce is doing fine and well with his own job with the U-21s (the only loss Pearce suffered so far as the U-21 coach was being against Holland after a marathon penalty shoot-out in the semi-final of the last European U-21 Championships) had meant that Premier League clubs will be looking at the former Manchester City manager. Capello had stated that he hoped Stuart Pearce will stay around for the rest of the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign. Given actually, Pearce has a deal until the end of next summer's Under-21s European Championship.
One more thing from the English FA chairman Lord Triesman before who had personally impressed me this year in the two national teams I support. Triesman has spoken on BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme over the weekend that he would welcome Fabio Capello extending his stay. The Italian actually signed a lucrative four-and-a-half-year deal which would take him through to the campaign to reach Euro 2012, although the contract does include an opt-out after South Africa next summer.
I realised the two I had picked from both the England and Germany squads whom impressed in my eyes this year had something in common. They only started to really break into their respective national teams this year. For England, Arsenal winger Theo Walcott. He might be currently nursing a discolated shoulder (it happened during training on the eve of the friendly away in Germany), but it was in the second 2010 World Cup qualifying match away at Croatia where his hat-trick (4-1 to England then eventually) elevated his status from being an unused substitute throughout the 2006 World Cup (when even back then his inclusion was met with surprise) to the match being seen in the English press as the turning point for the England squad under Fabio Capello. As for Germany, it is Hamburg's Piotr Trochowski. To admit during Euro 2008, all I knew of the Hamburg winger is that...he was born in Poland. Throughout the course of the tournament, he was actually an unused substitute. Then came the 2010 World Cup qualifier against Wales at home. Wales's hard work was undone when his superb second-half strike during the match eventually gave Germany all the three points. What a way to score your first goal in national team's colours.
In the spirit of giving because it is Christmas today, even if this entry is on my personal reflections on my two footballing worlds this year (and much more)...the person behind this blog. It was on my birthday four months ago. Now you know who is the person who always talk about English and German footballing matters here, the person who can dare to say she support both the England and the German national teams (without trying to get emotions get the better of her when both sides met last month in Berlin). The person who had said on the blog before that she is believing in the England squad again under Fabio Capello, the person who realises that she cannot really quit the German national team no matter how hard she tried (yikes, this is sounding like Brokeback Mountain!) despite all that off-the-field conflicts happened this year.
From me to you (that is if you had survived this entry, because I know it is that long) - Happy holidays.