Friday, July 15, 2005

Breaking News...all the time

I so know that this will happen anyway. But before I continue, I just want to remind you all out there who might be reading this blog of mine, I had a feeling it's going to be one long entry. Not that I want it though. But then, I had wrote long entries before. Good enough to be a short story. Ha!

Breaking news is really breaking news indeed. Yesterday's entry I said that I might not be able to get the sixth installment of the Harry Potter series of novels till Monday because of the SingPost promotion application form I got from Mother last Wednesday. Dad told me this morning that while he, Mother and Felicia went to buy the book that Felicia needed for school (I had no idea what subject is it for but I know Mother was not really that pleased when they got back home slightly after 9pm yesterday. Mother had slight headache, you see.) at Popular yesterday, he and Mother had helped me to order at the Thomson Plaza branch. The nearest one from where we live. All I need to do is to give the order receipt to the Thomson Plaza branch people tomorrow and I will get the book straightaway. It will released by tomorrow simultaneously round the world, to coincide with the UK release.

I had been talking too much lately about the IOC Session which was on here slightly more than a week ago and London's bid. I mean, other than those and the London bombings which I had been always talking about, there is one major news gripping this island nation these few days too.

The whole NKF (National Kidney Foundation) saga. And it all began with The Straits Times article which was published the year before. I remembered about that. Talking about that golden toilet bowl which the now recently ousted NKF CEO spent...using the public's donations! I have to admit, I was shocked and surprised back then. I think it was like the day before on the news that it was reported that the now ousted NKF CEO had other perks too which can fit a major coporate company's CEO. But then I read at The Straits Times' Forum page yesterday that other charitable organisations' heads in other countries don't fly first-class seats and the reserves and whatever that they spent were all published on their websites as to really let others know how it's used from public's donations. Now the majority who expressed outrage at this whole thing want a better explanation (more transparency, in other words) on how their donations had been spent. Okay, we all understand, even me, that it's used to help the kidney patients and you know, the reports in the news stated that the NKF's reserves can last for 40 years and not the three years it claimed. Gee, that is exactly like slightly more than a generation.

Now I know sooner or later, many other charities will come under the spotlight because of this. Now transparency is the key to the whole NKF (to think, it's a charitable organisation that many Singaporeans had know for so long) thing. The government often emphasised that. Not that I'm really outraged at the events now but to think of it, who's going to suffer from this? The kidney patients. I'm pretty split myself too. I strongly agree the idea of giving to those in need, you know.

A fourth one had been named in view of the London bombings as people across London and in Europe and many other places in the world had two minutes silence yesterday to remember the victims. 53 dead now, from what I know. And even now, the London police are hunting down which may be even more suspects. Oh goodness. How they managed to find the four identities so far is the CCTV and the IDs which led to the all-important discoveries. I have to praise the police in London for doing their job.

Imagine my short gasp and horror (a while, I emphasise) when I found out this morning (before off to school) on the BBC website that actually, one of the proposed sites...was once a site of a former nuclear reactor. The London 2012 team had no idea of it till a MP in British parliament mentioned about it on Wednesday. Thank goodness that it had been decontaminated 23 years ago. Now that is a short scare for me.

It's Bastille Day yesterday in France (it's their national day) and when I was reading the TODAY paper in class this morning (nothing to do as my Advanced Accounting assignment had been done yesterday afternoon at home and it's also the same one Mrs Wee asked the class to do; hehe!), the French President said in an interview yesterday that he still cannot get over the fact that London won the 2012 Games bid here last week. He wondered why. Okaaay. First it's the mayor of the French capital like blasted London's tactics and now, the president of the country. Though the French President is still sporting on congratulating London 2012's bid. I like Paris too but...London's No. 1 for me always. So don't come after me! My opinion, you know.

At last. The Spice Girls are finally recording for their new album for next year. Read that on yesterday's edition of Life! (from The Straits Times). You can imagine me wanting to shout out a 'Yes!' after reading that. Ha!

Before I end my entry, this is something interesting I found - http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2005/07/02/olympic_singaporeweblog_feature.shtml. Though the IOC Session was on here last week, I thought it's just interesting to see from the international point of view on what a reporter from overseas, especially from the BBC, thinks about the Session here. I had a kick from reading it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...