Thursday, July 07, 2005

'And the host city of the 30th Olympiad goes to...'

'...the city of London!'. From then on, everything just fell into place for me yesterday night after the IOC President Mr Jacques Rogge's announcement.

When the nail-biting moment came on and the immediate second before the IOC President was about to announce the host city for 2012 Games, I almost wanted to jump out of my parents' bed! Because in my mind, I was saying - 'Please let it be London!'. I was in their room watching. My parents were watching too. My mother was saying London and my dad still the same choice from the start - Paris. I say London, and even my brother!

After it was announced, I almost yelled at the top of my lungs and almost acting like a mad woman. My parents were around, you see. But I have to control my emotions. I was almost like those Londoners who were celebrating at Trafalgar Square, where the celebration was at. My dad immediately pointed out the location because he went there before when he was in London!

I must say it's a job well done for the London team, just like what the British Prime Minister had said about us when he was here saying about the opening ceremony which he attended. Tell you all, maybe Mr Tony Blair had been the earliest leader to arrive in our beautiful country and so, many of the IOC members had heard it loud and clear from him. Because I watched on the TV news that he actually met like all the IOC members when he was here! The man had did some serious lobbying. I think that could be one of London's selling points. My dad said that Mr Blair was just sincere about making the trip here in Singapore and it worked. Because when it came down to just Paris and London, I was all tensed up and I can understand the British PM's feelings...he said he was afraid to watch the results live then. He's even the host for the G8 summit too.

I never had the chance to watch the presentation from Paris, New York and Moscow because I was in school. CNA actually broadcast the presentations live. But I was in school then and when I came home, Moscow had just finished theirs. London and Marid were the last two cities. And you know, I was so touched at what the London team (with former Olympic winner himself Lord Sebastian Coe as the leader) had presented to the IOC. All about leaving a legacy for the younger generation. Maybe that sink down well to the IOC members.

From Raffles City Convention Centre (where the results was announced here ), Singapore...to Trafalgar Square, London, United Kingdom. Just imagine the cheers across countries!

I was thinking - Singapore was once a British colony and to think the announcement of London being the host kind of amused me at the same time. The capital of the United Kingdom.

And the news of London awarding as the host for the 2012 Games...make it to the headlines this morning on our papers! We had been playing host for the IOC meeting and so, that is why. It was one heck of a rollercoaster ride, especially with Paris as the biggest competitor in this race. And there was even a short video on us Singapore! That is before the five contending cities' videos were shown at the announcement ceremony.

And you know, I was like half the time no really paying attention during Advanced Accounting earlier on. Just copying whatever Mrs Wee was talking about from the whiteboard. Bad me.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...