Friday, October 13, 2006

A CD review (from moi)

The trend these days seemed to be redoing songs of yesteryear. While some might lament the state of creativity in the songwriting scene, some like me (being part of the younger set even) think that it's good the oldies are being given a revival for the younger set who thought they just can't seem to connect with their parents' era. Or maybe it is just me being exposed to the songs of my parents' time for a while now.

For those who remembered about the American Idol 5's finale, former alumni of the series Clay Aiken made a surprise return. It was the start of things to come and certainly, it is true. The voice who seemed to be awed by many had returned with a new album.

A Thousand Different Ways (which is the album's title) is an album full of love songs (14 tracks in all as well) with 11 songs some of us might be familar with like Celine Dion's Because You Love Me, Richard Marx's Right Here Waiting, Bryan Adams's Everything I Do, Bad English's When I See You Smile, Henry Nilsson's (sp?) Without You (which was being made popular by Mariah Carey in the 90s) and so on. Clay even co-wrote one of three originals on the album (Lonely No More...no, not the same song we so often hear on the radio for a period of time from Matchbox Twenty's Rob Thomas) as well, showcasing his songwriting abilities.

I have to say I am clearly impressed by it. Lonely No More is starting to be on a repeat mode for me on the CD player, other than Everything I Do and Because You Love Me. But then maybe given I like those two last songs I mentioned for a while now and so I might be biased.

Love is one of the many universal themes and it is definitely true here. Just take it as a collection of love songs we had always know and more.

Overall, my own rating is - 4 out of 5. Clay, you had really made a fan's day over here...but next time, have a bit more of originals and it will be better if it's written or co-written by you. You had passed the test for this fan over here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...