Album: Greatest Hits, The Spice Girls (2007)
Rating: 3/5
I was only nine years of age when they came exploding into the music business in 1996. With their infectious (or maybe cheesy to the critics) songs, it's the era where it's 'Girl Power' even across the United States. The Spice Girls, everyone.
The fivesome from the UK came back together since breaking up in 2000 and release a greatest hits album (with two new tracks), even staging a tour (which they said it's a way of repaying the fans after they broke up) together. From the responses on the tour (the London venue was sold out in less than a quarter of a minute!), The Spice Girls had never been far away from the fans' minds. Now speaking as someone where the fivesome had been her first most favourite group (and part of her childhood days) before discovering other favourites, music-wise or not, I had never once given up on the possibility that they may return.
The critics can talk for all they care. I am aware of their existence. As the saying goes 'One man's meat is another man's poison', it just happen I have always like the Spice Girls.
In the album, there are 15 tracks in all. Two of the 15 are new ('Voodoo' and the radio single 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)'. While the radio single which was released since the breaking up of the group had been receiving mixed reviews, at least the 13 tracks which the fans had knew all along will not really disappoint. On a personal scale, it's pleasing to listen to 'Wannabe' at the beginning of the album as that was how I came to know the fivesome. It still gets me excited again.
As for the other new single 'Voodoo', there's actually nothing sinister about it. And it's slightly better than 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)'. Quite appropriately, the final track on the album is 'Goodbye'. If one has a chance of searching a video to that on YouTube, it's quite sad.
Personally, I had longed being tolerating how people may think if I say I like the Spice Girls. But, so what? The fivesome were once part of my childhood and they will still be as I head towards adulthood. Spice Girls fans, this is one album which cannot be missed in order to remember those 'Girl Power' days.