Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Developments, Surprise, Inspiration & Memories

Just thought I make it that way. Kind of special. At least to me.

I guess there had been like major developments in regards to the London bombings. I discussed with Dad about it while he was driving me to school (suspects to three of the four bombings had been found). But then to think of it, the process of identifying the bodies can take a very long time and slowly everyday, identification of the bodies were known. And yesterday as I was reading The Straits Times Digital Life, there was one small section about Singaporeans who happened to witness or either experiencing or were in London at the time of the bombings. Through their blog entries. I can really feel the whole scene.

I guess I will be getting the sixth Harry Potter book (Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince) maybe earlier than I thought. I was thinking initally of having that as my birthday present next month when I hit 18. Like as if Dad read my mind today, he told me while he was driving me to school that he had informed Mother about ordering the book. Because over at SingPost which I saw the advertisement in the papers some time back, there was a promotion where if you order the sixth book through SingPost, you may get it on the day it's been offically released (throughout the world simultaneously). It will be this Saturday. I mean, being delievered to the doorstep. I know, there has never been that even more hype than before for the Harry Potter series of books. It's the second-last installment before the final one. Dad even asked me about the time when he helped me to get the books when he was in London last September. Back then he got me the third and the fifth one. Yeah. It was only after I watched the first movie of the whole Harry Potter series I began to get hooked on it. Ha! I know, in the time where Internet is the place I always go to, it's quite a breakthrough, so to speak. I'm almost close to think that the Harry Potter series of books is almost tied with Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre as among my favourites to read.

Now there I go again. British literature. It's just me. I mentioned something like this yesterday when mentioning on my entry then that why I just love London, a lot. Which is the case in the beginning! I had always want to find out the places and the inspirations for the past novels I read, other than Jane Eyre. The infrastructure in the UK always seemed to fascinate me, you see. It always has that quaint look from what I see in photos (that the people I know who has been there) and postcards.

Speaking of inspiration, it actually led me to what I read in the last Saturday edition of The New Paper Dad gave me yesterday night. One of the reporters wrote about we ourselves finding that inspiration in our lives to achieve the sporting goals. And he highlighted the London 2012 leader Lord Sebastian Coe's personal experience when the London team was here exactly a week ago here. I totally remembered what Lord Coe had to say in front of the IOC members. He talked about the time where it was his hometown people competing in the 1968 Mexcio City Games and being a 12-year-old then. From then on, he knew what he wanted in life. And in the following page after that commentary in The New Paper, there was a series of pages of prospective sporting stars from the Singapore Sports School. I will not be surprised if those names I saw will be in the spotlight for our local delegation come London 2012. Of course, the London team (especially Lord Coe) will always remember that it was here they won the battle to host 2012 Games and will welcome us in 'open arms' (as according to The New Paper) over there in London. A one full circle. A nice thought over there, you think?

Time really flies. Exactly a week ago, I'm sitting down here in front of the school's computer talking about my reactions and everything relating to the final showdown then. Later in the day then, I was all excited and nervous for the London team. And was happy that I'm able to watch their presentation. On my way home then, something is telling me that London will win after all. I hold on to that thought while on the bus ride home, hoping to watch a little of the Moscow presentation but eek, they were giving a press conference then when I turned on the TV the moment I got home. The maid asked me if I wanted to have lunch first but I said later. I went against my word and sat down on the sofa to watch of presentation highlights. Then I really get my butt off the sofa and headed for a shower and having my lunch in front of the living room TV set! As I know it, I never finished my lunch. I told the maid I had no mood to eat. To think I was nervous than the London team, who are next in their presentation. So I kept counting down till it's their turn. I never left my seat except to grab a quick bite from the bread Mother bought. And was paying attentively to what the team is presenting! After it ended, I did saw Marid's but I never payed much attention. Oops. I watched a little more of the highlights later but then Mother shooed me and asked me to do some assessments for my Maths. I did, in the room I shared with my siblings. But then half the time I wondered about the voting outcome.

When Dad came home after work then (and I was having dinner), he told me that Moscow is out of the race already. I almost dropped my cultery set! LOL! I had to turn on the TV in my parents' room to watch and New York is next! To think I causally mentioned that New York will be the next to go. Then Madrid was out and left...Paris and London. The cities everyone expected to be in the front-runners from Day One. But I never expected that things go my way after the IOC President Mr Jacques Rogge announced that London will be host in seven years' time. I took for a while for that to sink in before I grinned to myself and Dad, who was rooting for Paris. Heh.

But, the London bombings the next day. Oh well. What a week can do to events like these!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...