At times I wondered if I should plan to do an autobiography. At times I also wondered as well if I should request that my past handwritten diaries to be preserved for my future generations to come, or it will follow me to my grave. Because I know what I had written, might be sensitive in the future. Yeah right, I know what you all are going to say I am the goody sort. But at times people can mean very different things in their diary. Or blog nowadays. Think the future generations will understand my 'sense of humour' eh?
Why I suddenly become like that? Post-World Cup thoughts had made me think that way. I'm thinking now, how about my blog? The entire world can see it! I really need to classify various topics, you know. I once briefly read the Minister Mentor's memoirs and that's where I get the idea. Over the past few years, I had thought about some topics in my head already.
Fine, fine. World Cup is over. The second time since like USA '94 or something, where the final is settled on a penalty shootout. Talk about irony. I was in Primary One when that happened and it's the first World Cup I remembered from my memory but whatever happened? I had no idea. Italy '90. Technically that one is like the first for me but hey, I had been two-going on-three years of age at that time! To think 16 years later down the road, the current Germany cocach Klinsmann was part of the winning then-West Germany squad. Ah, funny. And another irony there too.
France '98, the time where I first started to follow the tournament. But maybe some memories had kind of faded over time. Japan/Korea 2002. Surprises abound, since the 'wheels' are in motion. Hello, I even remembered watching the final four years back. I mentioned about it yesterday. Now, Germany 2006. Italy had won, now for the fourth time. But, like a mega tidal wave of sorts, everyone is asking - what is happening to Zidane, eh? What happened on the pitch had made many questioned about the one of the best of our time. Of my generation, I mean. Since he was actually one of those vivid memories I remembered from France '98.
Back then in France '98, he was hailed like a true genius, bringing the Les Bleus to their first win and on home soil too. Winning over Brazil then as well. This World Cup in Germany is his last, and he ended in a way which left many puzzled and others shaking their heads over what he did. From news reports and watching those Teletext news on TV, apparently he was being provoked. Now I am repeating what I said yesterday again. I know those who are real happy Italy had won, might be saying it's a case of bad sportsmanship. Maybe those who had been kind of ignorant or just simply don't know much about football will say that too.
Anyhow, he is also human. People can really just lost it in serious cases like this and poof!, there goes it. But then, despite all that, he is being awarded as the best player of this World Cup. Given me to choose, it's hard but it's still Zizou (his nickname) for me. I don't know, I belonged to this generation where I do know about the magical tale of France '98.
Maybe Zidane's headbutting incident will be one of those things the international audience will remember as one of those which came out of this World Cup (pessimistic people!), but I rather remember the nicer things. I know, I saw the papers this morning and thought - Everyone loves a conspiracy. France was written off from Day One, but yet they beat the odds to get this far. The host nation Germany is one surprising package for me. If I have to pick which participating squad is among the better ones for me, based on the matches and highlights I understood, I will say without a doubt - Germany! It's attacking football and like, wow! Now I rather watch them play anytime.
Euro 2008 is the next one to look ahead , and it's co-host by its sister neighbours Austria and Switzerland. I want to see the same kind of football I had been seeing from the German squad once again. The South Africa 2010 World Cup is the other I am already looking forward. I mean, time to move on from all the madness. But I do know at the same time, the Germans are already having a good time hosting this. On the other hand, I had already sensed a 'war' between my brother and I over which national squad we are supporting. It was evident last night. Though we both support England, my brother is saying that he will support Brazil and (the now champions...you know it makes me sick at times watching the news reports yesterday because yeah...I am a Les Bleus supporter and they had been robbed the moment Zidane was shown the door) Italy come next World Cup as well. For me, I was almost literally screaming (in a fan-like tone) 'Germany!' at the top of my lungs in front of him last night after the nightly news on Channel 8. When Euro 2008 comes along, imagine the first part of the 'war' had started. My brother - rallying for England and Italy. Me - England and Germany. Hang on, there's the qualifying rounds first. Uh oh...
Back to this World Cup. To admit, months before all these madness happened, I seriously wondered if Germany can pull this off. They proved many that they had did it, even me. So I am confident South Africa can learn a thing or two before it's their turn. Even the British press had commended how their occasional 'rvials' Germany had did a good job in hosting and being the real winners of this World Cup. I had to so agree. Even the press here had started to see a new Germany out of this.
So the reason why I said yesterday the Italian squad which got first does not matter at all to me for the first time. Germany is then the one which matters a lot, to me. Being third on home soil? Fantastic already.
Being an amazing, awesome, fantastic host nation? A big YES!
P.S. I even told my brother last night now I regretted saying spaghetti is one of my favourite foods. You know, that comes from (horrors!) Italy. And he, made fun of me on purpose as a result. Anyhow, maybe next time I will just say chocolates is my favourite and that's it.