Saturday, June 10, 2006

I wish I had...

Anyhow, the World Cup has begun. The biggest football prize on Earth is now up for grabs! 32 competing nations, 64 matches...going to be real, real madness for sure. You know, trying telling my father that watching the World Cup can do effects to his health (yes, there are reports to prove it too), is might as well telling that to the four walls in the house. LOL.

Because he had survived watching goodness how many World Cups already and he never complained anything about his health. Just only when whatever happens on and maybe off the pitch, can stir a controversy somehow. Just make sure you don't bring up some of the World Cup controversies which may be close to his heart (given England is one of the squads he support since he can follow football) because or else, it will be like me, hearing almost no end to it. I had learnt not to bring up whatever happened to that match between England and Argentina in France '98 where it cost the former an early exit. Because my father always almost literally rattle no end about it. He was clearly pissed off then.

Moving on four years later at Japan/South Korea 2002, he could not hide his grin when Argentina was booted out in the group stages. Actually the football 'rivalry' between England and Argentina began from a very unlikely event - the Falklands War. It first started during the British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's rule.

Anyhow ever since, now in Germany 2006, these two teams are on different groups. At least for now, no clashes between the two. Actually speaking of Germany given it's being held over there now, England and Germany does have their traditional football 'rivalry' too. It first started over the sentiments of events in WWII. Always when it's peacetime, all that past sentiments will transform to the football pitch. It's always like that. And the more 'peaceful' way to do. Dad will at times mentioned that England once beat Germany 5-1 (for one of the past World Cup qualifications some years back), on Germany's home soil even. He always cannot hide his excitement whenever he mentioned that. Also in the most golden era of English football, in England '66, the final is between the host nation and West Germany (it's still the Cold War then, remember?) and the host nation won. Given football is invented by the Brits, it was a bittersweet moment.

40 years on, it's on an European soil the biggest football event it's being held. Can we really see any miracles anywhere? It always does in each World Cup!

Though the opening ceremony I watched late last night was a little short for me (only under an hour), but then I do like it. Suddenly I wished I had knew some German right now. Haha! When back then it was learning about Hitler's era, few German terms made their way into my History textbook.

The battle for football supremacy...had already begun. The opening match where it saw the host nation against Costa Rica - 4-2. Goal fest already! Whoa! Normally opening matches don't have too much goals. Past World Cups can maybe prove it. The second match, Poland and Ecuador - 0-2. Holy moly. You know what is funny is that yesterday night I was telling my father about when I was in the shower, I saw a '2-1' to Poland when I closed my eyes for a moment. Just like that. Now it's the other way and my prediction is, almost close.

Funny how even on mundane events, such things can happen. Dad is only hoping to cross his fingers (maybe literally...LOL) that England's opening match later tonight against Paraguay will go his way.

And my sister had finally successfully created a blog. Go figure.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...