In an oldies' mode again. But this time, I managed to find a video to it - Up Where We Belong - Joe Crocker & Jennifer Warns. As far as I am aware, two international friendlies are on later today (early tomorrow morning, Singapore time) - France-Morocco, Austria-England. The various Euro 2008 qualifiers will only be on tomorrow.
Of a sudden, the dread is back. So much is at stake. Why is that England's qualifying hopes have to depend on what's going to happen in their qualifying group? Things weren't meant to be this way in the beginning. If I have my way, England will be like Germany's situation right now. As of now, only Group D (where Germany is in) is 'done and dusted', as from what I read somewhere. It's only a case of who takes that top spot (given the two qualifying nations had already been unveiled, after the events in Munich last month between Germany and the Czech Republic) before it all wraps up.
In short, as I will like to say - Who gets the bragging rights. *Insert fake laughs* Ha ha.
And one more injury news from the Germany camp. And more from the other national teams as well - Ankle agony for Germany's Jansen. Also in that link, former England U-21 Scott Carson will be making his international debut in Vienna (and the news is also in this link - Becks returns, Carson debuts for England). Yes, Paul Robinson is not in the line-up. And, what Stuttgart's Mario Gomez has to say of strikers (like himself) competing for places in the Germany squad ahead of Euro 2008 - Competition is fierce up front says Gomez.
But as the team news are coming in, the thought of the Austria-England friendly becoming the 'mother of all meaingless friendlies' (as from what I saw on the Teletext yesterday) is one disturbing prospect for me. Because less than 24 hours later after the friendly match, England's Euro 2008 fate will be known. In Israel. Cue stress time for me. The friendly against the Austrians was already arranged before all these series of events happened. And I know that France had also arranged a friendly with the English for next year. Another so-called meaingless friendly? I do aware that not everyone is pleased with it.
How about the time when England meet Germany in August? Oh yes, any encounter between the two sides, friendly match or not...is always a big deal. And with me being someone who support the two sides, I am well aware of it. Back then, injury news keep dogging the headlines for both sides ahead of the Wembley encounter. And the end of it...well, the latter won.
For the rest of us (like me) who still want to see a miracle, there is this article from the Eurosport website - What the home nations must do. For the record, the headline is referring to England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales. And Ireland as well. For me, it's kind of weird given I did studied Social Studies back in secondary school and I learned about the Northern Ireland conflict and it was only then I know what makes up of the United Kingdom other than England, Scotland and Wales. Ireland refers to the Republic of Ireland, a country by itself.
The Tartan Army (Scotland) had warned Italy that they will get 'physical' (PREVIEW: Scotland ready for physical clash with Italy) when they meet. As in not the song by Olivia Newton-John. Get the minds out of the gutter. To think from the beginning, Scotland were never considered to be real hopers of entering the tournament. It was meant for Italy and France to qualify, and maybe Ukraine to spoil the party along the way in the qualifying group. Now, Scotland is not in the qualifying group making up for the numbers. They want to qualify, and they mean it.
And for someone like me who has never been really following Scotland's journey, it was only especially after their famous 1-0 win at home when they hosted France which made me started to sit up and thinking maybe Scotland knows what they are doing (and not always in the shadows of their more famous counterpart, England). It will have been like 10 years since Scotland made an appearance on the international stage (though this time round, it will be the European Championships). Flashback for a while: When Italy hosted Scotland earlier this year, 2-0 to the Italians. But the tables had turned since.
The latest in Italy (not regarding the squad, I mean) is that, the policeman who had shot a Lazio fan...well, let this headline do the talking - Italian policeman faces homicide charge over fan killing: lawyer. From manslaughter, to that.
It's just like before. Now what is going on? The Germany-Cyprus match not showing anywhere on the cable? Just like the last time round these two met? I almost swear, it's a conspiracy.
What is not a conspiracy is that, the reason for the blog title is self-explanatory. Euro 2008...up where the qualifying nations belong. I made no secret whom I want to see it there. I don't care what everyone is saying and so...come on England! All those people who had wanted to see England there kept ringing in my head. When even back then Germany coach Joachim Loew had singled out England as one of the favourites for Euro 2008 in a FIFA website interview (this was before his side became the first to qualify and after England's back-to-back wins over Israel and Russia at the Wembley), it gave me hope all over again. Finally, a preview from AFP ahead of the qualifying matches before I end the entry - Euro 2008 in the balance for Italy, France and England.