Saturday, July 16, 2005

Potty over Harry...and intellectual stuff?

You guessed it. The sixth installment has released today offically all around the world. From the UK to the States to Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Japan and many other countries! And my parents did went for the 7.01am release at the Thomson Plaza branch (they ordered like on the day before)! Mother told me that they were the sixth in line to get the book. They were there since 6.45am.

After all, Dad figured that he needed to attend to The Straits Times's 160th special later in the day where he had been asking me and Alvin to find the words in the papers and today will be the day they had to find the location of the car from the clues given in the papers till yesterday's edition. Yeah, wanting to win a car. Had they won (oh well, Dad told me that there were so many people over at the East Coast Park area where the car is and yeah, he never won though), maybe I will drive it after I get my driving license (maybe end of this year or next)! Hehe. But then I was told that there was no COE to it. Sheesh.

Back to Harry Potter. I woke up with slightly groggy eyes slightly after 8am today (considering I went to sleep at 3am from using the Internet!) only to see Dad near my bed. The book is in the paper bag he was holding. I was grinning in my head. I almost wanted to scream to the world that I had the book at last! LOL! Okay, so I had , The Prisoner of Azkaban, The Order of The Pheniox and now this one - The Half-Blood Prince. Many readers had been speculating on who the 'half-blood prince' may be and so the rising interest in the entire Harry Potter series to date. But for me, it all started with me watching the DVD of the first movie of the series - The Philospher's Stone. I was hooked since. At first I wondered the hype over all these till I watched the DVD at my third aunt's house where she asked if I wanted to watch or not. Never regretted since. So just when I thought I'm one of the few teens who like the series, I was not alone. Some of my ex-BPS classmates do read it in their spare time in school! Even there was once during Personal Taxation class and when Mrs Lee asked us what is the hype with teens today (her only son is around the same age as us - her students), someone from IQQ mentioned about Harry Potter. I sat up at once. Aha. That is the charm of Harry Potter to you. Kids and those kids at heart (like me; I'm not ashamed to say it) like it. And it happens that I'm the only one in the house liking it.

Finally went for a haircut today. I had been asking Mother about it the past few days because I was worried of my hair being that long and if there's another spot-check in school soon, I will be doomed. Like as if. My friends from secondary school days till now all said that I'm just a good student. Okaaay. I accpet that compliment. It's just, me. The kind of person I am!

And you know, as Dad was reading one of the editions of The New Paper while waiting for Mother, Alvin (he went first) and I, something in the paper caught Mother's attention. It was about the 'Sky Kingdom' in Malaysia. She said that she had been reading a lot of that recently. I just commented that I had long heard of that story before. The New Paper used to run an article on that like last year or earlier this year. Mother was amused naturally. And so I told her what I know of the event. It even dawned on one of the hairdressers that I seemed to have a thing for current affairs. Eek, I had been hearing Mother saying that of me before, you know.

Naturally the whole NKF saga which kind of dwindled with an interim CEO at its helm just yesterday, was brought up at the hairdresser's. And I commented again that it all actually began with the article mentioning of the golden toilet bowl from The Straits Times two years ago. Mother was surprised. She said that I seemed to remember all these kind of stuff from the news, even from way back. I was flattered actually. Oh well, what can I do when I like to read? And it was all because of Dad who back then kept 'pushing' me to read the papers to keep up the events around me since I was in Primary Five. In short, he was the one who helped me get involved with not just local news, international ones too...even talking about it when we have the time. Like whenever he has to fetch me to school. We will just talk of the news of the day. Like it was all the IOC Session and who we think should host the 2012 Games (with me cheering for London and Dad saying Paris) and stuff last week and the week before! The event was held like at our own backyard, that's why. We are all part of this mega sporting event! With those local media coverage being so crazy of it, that is why.

Even over at Wikipedia, I cannot believe I seemed to learn I never knew about...like the likes of the London 2012 bid leader Lord Sebastian Coe, the British PM and his wife. Very interesting read! Guess this is what I get for being part of the whole IOC thing from the start till that 'dramatic vote', like what one media report stated.

Before it was my turn to have a haircut today, Soo Hong messaged me saying that she got a new handphone and it's the same number she mesaged to me. Finally I can heave a sigh of relief to her. Her previous one broke down for some time, you see.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...