Saturday, September 06, 2008

It's not a matter of luck...?

If you noticed in my previous entry, it's all on the ongoings in the Premier League and reports on the England squad ahead of the 2010 World Cup qualifiers. I actually realised as I was updating my previous entry...as much I tried to cut down on what I want to update, that was the best I can do.

Throwing in whatever I know of the situation in question and 'copying' what my sources have said. The latter part is for those who do not have the time to read the links to my reports.

The UEFA website said it best when it comes to describing the Liechtenstein-Germany match - The smallest German-speaking nation in the world will meet the largest. During Euro 2008, it was Austria versus Germany in both their final Euro 2008 group match with everything at stake for both sides (if not for events prior to the match itself on what should be a dead rubber, springing to life in a match between two nations which has their history being intertwined together on and off the football pitch, apart from the fact that both nations share a common language - German). While I still remembered some of my first impressions of Austria was through my then-Primary Five's English textbook on an article on the (abridged) life and times of the country's most famous composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart before learning four years later that it share the same language and almost the same culture as its bigger neighbour Germany (this was when I was learning about the Anschluss back in History), Liechtenstein? I had always knew it's a tax-haven like Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco but its reputation came under threat in this case.

I know I had gone outside of football (I will come back to the real matter later) but then given as someone who used to study taxation as part of her former Accounting course (as in, tax in the Singapore context), it somehow made me follow the news. It threw up a few things for me from the episode, like - Germany has like the most complex tax system in the world (during those times, it made me wondered did those rich Germans who might had been involved in the scandal flouted the tax laws in their country), indirectly I learned the bank involved in the scandal LGT Bank has a branch here in Singapore. I had always been proud of the fact that our tax system is not so complicated (it's not a complicated affair when one has to submit in the tax given it can be done electronically and it's quite a popular choice...my father does that annually) and the tax laws are strict. Back then studying taxation, I even have to learn the punishments for the tax evaders but thank goodness...they don't really test us that much on that aspect in the exams given there's quite a number to learn from the coursebook alone and even for some reason I have a fascination with law, it almost drained me out just studying that aspect alone. As much as I once fancied myself studying law (maybe business law, given I once studied accounting). That was once my 'other life'...before I totally plunged into the world of football. There is a reason why I let my former Accounting student instincts returned in this entry's 'Football thought of the day'.

Alright. To the real matter. Euro 2008 is now history but, for those who took part in the tournament...now is the time to begin their 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign. Fabio Capello's England included. Don't need to remind me they didn't take part in the summer's tournament because I know it myself (even all the more as an England supporter, yours truly has to support her other team which was in the tournament then - Germany). Turning to the 2010 World Cup qualifying Group Four in particular (you will know why later), Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke is looking to cement his place as Germany's new number one when a new-look side begin their 2010 World Cup campaign in Liechtenstein. The Hannover goalkeeper may be in the position he is now given Bayer Leverkusen's Rene Adler is still injured, but he is determined to make the most of it.

As if I need any more nicknames after Euro 2008 (already the surname of Germany coach is enough to give the tabloids...plenty of creativity in their headlines), I got one more today (clue is in the headline itself). Germany assistant coach Hans-Dieter Flick speaking ahead of the trip to Vaduz (that's the capital of Liechtenstein), announced that Serdar Tasci will be picked over experienced Real Madrid defeder Christoph Metzelder. Tasci earns his place on merit after his performance when he won his first cap in the friendly against Belgium. Given I had checked umpteen times that the Liechtenstein-Germany match will not be shown on the pay-TV here (the Andorra-England...yes and for some reason, Malta-Portugal as well), I will have to depend on internet reports, highlight videos and general sentiments from online...all over again (given it was through reports I then know Tasci, who also happen to play for my Bundesliga club VfB Stuttgart and I know he had always wanted to play for Germany, did well against the Belgians).

Apart from shuffling the packs on the starting line-up, it's about getting the maximum number of points when the national team is on the road for the first two World Cup qualifiers. Given Germany's second opponent Finland has a history of beating the favourites at Helsinki (and the last time Germany visited the Finnish capital, a 2-2 draw even), not the time to be the next 'victim'. And when I came to the part when Germany coach Joachim Loew had warned against expectations of a goal bonanza like the 13-0 victory over San Marino (during one of their past Euro 2008 qualifiers)...that sense of 'regret' returned. To add insult to injury, that match was actually being shown live back then on the pay-TV here. I didn't wake up and watched it (I ended up watching some part of the repeat telecast) when it was 'live'. I knew there's going to be a number of goals but not when after I woke up and watched the morning news...the news broadcasters reported that it set a new record in qualifiers on the number of goals scored.

In news not relating to the German national team, in view of the Bundesliga clubs which has UEFA Cup commitments, the German Football League has accepted a request to move several Bundesliga fixtures in the next few weeks to avoid clubs facing two matches in the space of 48 hours. The DFL (German Football League in short) was actually heavily criticised last season by Bayer Leverkusen, Hamburg, Nurnberg and Bayern Munich for lacking flexibility and hindering their chances of success in Europe. Energie Cottbus president Ulrich Lepsch has given his backing to coach Bojan Prasnikar, saying his job is safe despite a poor start to the season.

Here we go again. I am getting very tired of this. VfB Stuttgart striker Mario Gomez is determined to join an elite European team after seeing two bids for his services turned down during the transfer window. Gomez revealed that on August 31 (after Stuttgart's 2-0 win over Hannover), Manchester City made general manager Horst Heldt an offer, but Heldt turned it down. But Gomez knew that he still has a contract at Stuttgart and the club has told him very clearly that they will not let him leave this season.

I am well aware of the situation Manchester City is in. But it's actually ironic given I remembered there was some time back, Gomez was appearing of ZDF's Sportstudio programme, and there was a segment where his fellow Stuttgart team-mates (together with the ZDF cameras) Ludovic Magnin, Thomas Hitzlsperger and Raphael Schäfer (yeah, when the latter was still at the club) were searching through his locker on what Gomez has. They found hair care products (I swear back then, I almost spitted my slivia out!), and a folder with contract offers from other clubs (Manchester City was mentioned). Also, an obviously fake contract from Barcelona. I almost roared with laughter when one of his team-mates said this - “Oh, Manchester…wait, city. Too bad.” I will die happy if Gomez ever join my other favourite football club (Manchester United), which was why my laughter then.

German football (or sort of) thought of the day: Actually, Britney Spears's Lucky is the idea behind the title of this entry. At one time in secondary school, it was actually my own 'anthem' given somehow it's almost speaking of my own school life especially when I was in lower secondary. I don't usually admit I like Britney Spears's songs but among her earlier ones, Lucky was among those I do like. Around the time I began secondary school, that was also when her popularity began to grow. Anyhow, I had never thought that I will switch from one stream to another when I went from Secondary One to Two. I know any student will almost want to jump on the chance to go from the Normal Academic to the Express stream but back then I actually once asked myself 'Why does it have to be me?'. Why do I always have to be the lucky one? Though back then it was actually my final-year examination results in Secondary One which led to the transfer of a new stream in Secondary Two and I cannot do anything. My whole plan for my secondary school days back then, was almost turned upside down after the transfer to a new class. But then, I had never planned for my original 'summer fairytale' in Secondary Two to happen in the first place after I was being transferred to a new class seven years ago.

Solid Schalke and a glut of goals overshadowed by new betting scandal (Allegations of fixed Bundesliga matches have surfaced after a weekend of thrilling attacking football)

Final whistle blows for Bayern hero Kahn (Goalkeeper Oliver Kahn called a final halt to his playing career on Tuesday night, featuring in FC Bayern München's 1-1 friendly draw against a Germany XI in Munich – and experiencing "the joy of being out there in this stadium and in front of these fans one last time".)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...