Saturday, July 09, 2005

And it all wraps up!

So I guess we can say a good-bye today to the 117th IOC Session which ended offically today here. What a heck of a ride! I wonder when I can really get on with life without waking up and wanting to read what's new about the IOC Session. Because that has been me for some time already.

Actually I had no idea that none of the five sports that the IOC had suggested about making an apprearance for the 2012 Games in London make the entry after baseball and softball were dropped...also happened yesterday too. Sheesh. It was only Dad told me this morning that the decision was made yesterday night. He said that his sixth sense is right after all. I almost want to burst into fits of laughter! I was right after all that US is not happy about the decision for baseball. It's big over there and in Canada. And in countries over at this side of the world like in Japan and Taiwan, as according to Dad. Now not that I'm against anything or what, now how many Europeans will have the idea how it's played? Or maybe I'm not up to date with this.

I have to admit, whenever I hear all those baseball terms, I feel odd. Maybe since we were once a colony of the United Kingdom and football is like the sport people here are always talking about. My dad is one living example! The UK is also almost nuts about it too. So any football-relating news, you bet the people here will be sitting up and know of it. More or less. Even me, not a football fan, got influenced thanks to my football-crazy dad. Like the case of the Real Madrid player Raul who came here few days back to support Madrid's bid for the 2012 Games, he had no idea that people here do know of him! Now this is what I call the power of cable TV and newspapers. And my dad was actually surprised that he had no idea actually that former Manchester United player Sir Bobby Charlton was here with the London delegates back then. Dad said that Sir Bobby was one of the players who was part of the England squad when they won the 1966 World Cup...in their home soil. Dad had been supporting Manchester United since he was in his Victoria School days. Never changed his favourites. He said it's the same team he supported back then as a teen and now. Now that is what I call loyal. Hats off to my dad.

Back to more IOC stuff. I read in The Straits Times today that the IOC President Mr Jacques Rogge said that he gave a perfect score of 6/6 (in terms of skating, he said) for the 117th IOC Session in Singapore. A resounding success! Woohoo! Now my heart is swelling with pride even more. I don't know how much I can take. It always make you feel good. I was thinking, since it was a success - Can we have it here in the future again? LOL!

Now there are more thoughts and feelings that you don't know I have in regards of London's winning bid (other than what I mentioned yesterday) and other stuff about the Session. I know I cannot shut up now because it's my favourite candidate city from the start. I am bias now. Heh. Oops, I mean, I studied Social Studies and History as an elective and I have to learn to read bias sources as part of source-based questions. Okay, those past lessons in class rubbing on me.

First on the latter. I had wanted to say that when I read The Straits Times today, I was just amused and happy with what the international media overall see us at. Nice stuff. Someone better tell me that I always kind of get goosebumps when 'Singapore' is being mentioned on international media. LOL!

You know I read on yesterday's edition of The Straits Times about the British media saluting the man who helped turned London's bidding chances for the 2012 Games around from the pits - the leader Lord Sebastian Coe. He's being dubbed by the British media as Lord of the Rings. Seriously! I almost had a kick when I read the title which is the nickname. But then actually, it was the really the case. Ironically, Lord Coe was not the first choice to be the leader for the London 2012 Games bid. Someone else is. He was only became the Chairman like just last year's May and began to work wonders on the project and look at the outcome now. Even I myself was surprised at how London's bidding journey really began as I was reading an article from CNA's website about Lord Coe not the first choice for the post initally though like few days back only. And even today, Dad told me more stuff about Lord Coe that I had no idea of. But then actually it's something I know of beforehand. The Orvett-Coe 'duel' at the Moscow Games in 1980. Lord Coe's compatriot Steve Orvett, I mean. I read at the IOC website this afternoon. Bored, you see. Apparently back then, Steve Orvett is the favourite to win the 1500m but that gold medal went to his compatriot (and he got the silver medal) - who is eventually named Lord Sebastian Coe. And ironically, Lord Coe was the favourite to win the 800m but well, you know what he got in the end. It was Steve Orvett on the gold medal for 800m and Lord Coe - the silver medal. What an irony! I was all amused.

When I told Dad of Lord Sebastian Coe being the first person to win two golds at two consecutive Games (1980 Moscow Games and 1984 Los Angeles Games), he like reminded me again of the feat that no other whiteman has done in the history for 1500m. Lord Coe was the hero then. And 21 years later, he is a hero all over again. A national hero (as dubbed by BBC) even...here in Singapore on Wednesday. To think it was the second time he and the now IOC President meet! During the press conference after London is being awarded as host, Mr Jacques Rogge talked about the time he first met the man who eventually is the one who led his team to victory to host the 2012 Games back then in the Moscow Games. How interesting! Stories like these always appear at this point in time and something new for me each time.

I can imagine come 2012 when the world 'meets' in London for the Games, I will always remember all these people who once converged over here where I live my whole life seven years ago - Singapore. What a memory it's going to be, everyone! You think?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...