Sunday, June 25, 2006

Germany 2006 - The half-way mark!

I noticed a sudden jump in terms of the hits for my blog. Saw that from the profile. If it is regarding what I commented yesterday, then I know why. I know, the football thing.

Okay, I admit now. I know sometime back I say one of those teams I support is England. Okay, everyone can laugh at me now. I am do aware of the state they are in as well. My father's comments are enough for me to sort of distance myself at times from the papers' reports. But the thing I want to admit is about the German squad. Especially since like everyone is starting to say how good they are in their group matches ever since the opener, I have also started to see the squad in a new light.

The host nation are showing that they are real serious contenders. No joking anyone and anymore. Champions for three times, and runners-up for four times (Dad explained to me once about the German squad). As according to the football expert in the family in the case of my own father, the German squad is actually good. I know the recent one was the last World Cup where they eventually lost to Brazil in the final. The attacking tactic is what they are applying from the start. The youth factor is another. The papers are all starting to notice now.

Because, who will have thought the team can really spring such a surprise right now when prior to the matches kicking off, even some of the Germans have doubts about their national team? As what the papers once stated - it's cool and hip to be a German again.

I can understand. To raise the national flag in the past is often an association with the Nazi era...being a pro-Nazi and so on. All the unhappy things that no one wants to remember. I know (*sigh*)...because Germany prior to Hitler's era and during the era were what was once in my History textbook. Learning a few of those German terms as part of the lessons was what I have to do as well. Seeing all those reports on the home crowd are always waving their country flags and celebrating whenever their national squad has won a match, I can't help but smile. Ever since the fall of the Berlin Wall (the end of communism especially in Eastern Europe, including the then-East Germany) and the fall of communism, many of the former Soviet nations are trying to rebuild themselves once again and Germany became one of the successful stories now especially, with the World Cup going on.

The fall of communism especially in the Eastern European side was also another of those things I needed to learn from my History textbook then. You think I had no idea over that one too? Ha ha.

No wonder it's often being said that sporting events can really unite a nation. Even Australia is becoming football-crazy now (hehe), ever since 32 years since they last appeared at the World Cup and actually never scoring anything then. Then, it was West Germany. Now, it's a unified Germany. Australia has all along being a cricket-mad nation as I often understand, and this time with their national squad to the round of 16 now (and they will meet Italy...almost an, ouch!)...and did scored some goals at their group matches. Definitely one of those biggest surprises so far.

Maybe, like what the cable's (given it's the official broadcaster of the tournament) tagline for this World Cup in Germany...kind of fitting...

It's where legends are born.

It has been happening.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...