Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sis's birthday and DVC reflections

For the record, DVC means (The) Da Vinci Code. This is what I mean. Given I had finished reading the novel on my sister's birthday yesterday, I have to give that title.

I know I don't want to put the book down after I finished but all things have to come to an end eventually. I went to the balcony later (before the cutting of my sister's birthday cake - blackforest cake!) to really reflect on the novel before I watch the movie on Friday. Clearly it has taught me many things.

From me first started out hating Bezu Fache so much (I always call him 'the Bull' as it's stated in the book about his nickname) to actually realising he may be actually luring Robert Langdon to find out the murderer of the Lourve's curator. From me thinking at first Silas is the murderer but was used as one of the 'baits' by Sir Leigh Teabing actually had me stumped. Stumped at how a British Royal Historian can go all means to find out where is the Grail. Ending up murdering Sophie's grandfather as a result. Feeling like a real idiot in believing and admiring Sir Leigh Teabing but not so much in the end. Feeling so sorry for Sophie for her thinking that she has no remaining family in the world but it was a happy ending of sorts for her, finally meeting her grandmother and brother. Admiring how she was so good in crytography. Admiring how the Harvard professor Robert Langdon always keeps his cool when he was first being accused of a murderer till not in the end.

Admiring the late Lourve curator Jacques Sauniere for trying so hard to protect a secret which may shake the foundations of Christianity forever and whatever he does...is actually for Sohpie's sake. Despite she once so hated him in the past, he never gave up in wanting to reunite with his grandaughter.

Jacques in a way or another, kind of reminds me of my own father. Whatever my father wants to do...is always for the sake of his own children. Making me so embarrassed at times! My mother once commented that the password to my father's office computer way back then when I was still growing up...is actually using my name. Diana. I almost broke into tears whenever I think of this! He had never used any other combinations but my own name then. The English name which he gave to me when I was born, thanks to the late Princess of Wales who is according to him one of the most prettiest women in the world. My father is a man of few words, and so the little actions always made me caught off-guard. And when I read about what the late Jacques did for the sake of protecting Sophie...is like reading about my own father again.

As much as I want to slow down my speed of reading on my sister's birthday yesterday, I know the plot will eventually come to an end. Leaving me with more questions about what the Grail really is, helping me to understand more or less the minds of those devout Christians I know in real life (two of my friends and my former piano teacher are those I can think of now being devouted to Christianity) and making me seeing Christianity in a better light now.

As I stared out of the balcony window yesterday afternoon, I know there will be even more things to think about before heading to Lido cineplex tomorrow with my father. Bye for now.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...