Imagine I was kind of not so happy yesterday afternoon when I tried to update my blog. The website was down. I thought I could try my luck a few times but in vain. Trying to talk about events of the weekend seemed a little daunting for that moment. But what can I do if there's maintenance?
Our family maid did returned back on Saturday afternoon as planned. Just last week where it's been a week she's with her family, the earthquake occured. We asked her about it on Saturday and there's slight tremors at where she stayed.
So since Mother gave me back my CD player cum radio on Saturday (surprising eh?), it's kind of back to the 'old days' - listening to CD or songs on the radio and read a novel at the same time. But I realised as I did that (with what I borrowed from the library last week), I just need to close my eyes for a moment and it will 'lead' me back when I read The Da Vinci Code. I swear, in the time to come just like Charlotte Brone's Jane Eyre and the Harry Potter series, it will make it to my own list on favourite reads. Not only all those, maybe a 'list' or sorts on some what I read and what I like about those titles.
Never mind it may come from my past schooldays as well. Oliver Twist was what I first knew of in those comprehension passage worksheets in my primary school days and in my Sec One English Literature class, we watched a movie based on that. It was part of the literature class then in Sec One. Maybe some of my classmates back then just do not like the classes, for me it's my English Literature teachers in Sec One and Two who had tried to make the lessons more understandable. If I had read a novel and did not seemed to understand its meaning, I need to find out.
This is what I call - literature. I think if ain't in Sec Two when we need to read (as part of the syllabus) and study Shakespeare's Twelfth Night and The Merchant of Venice and my teacher never explained about whatever needed to be discussed, I don't think I will enjoy both more better.
The weekend also saw me watching more of those documentaries about the Bible I thought maybe I knew. What I mean is the Secret Bible specials on the National Geographic I watched on Saturday. Three shows bac-to-back. Rivals of Jesus, The Knights Templar and, Apocalypse. The second one occasionally made references to what it's being mentioned in The Da Vinci Code. I occasionally gasped when I saw the first one. Whether never making any reference to the controversial bestseller was intentional, but it raised what I read in the book at times. And it kind of correspond to whatever it's mentioned in the book. This is - corroboration. A technique when comparing sources. I learnt that in History before.
CNA's Documentary of the Week specials on The Da Vinci Code and everything in between 'ended' yesterday with - Opus Dei And The Da Vinci Code. In the book, the readers (like me) first read about this albino monk Silas who is in Opus Dei and the Bishop Aringorosa who is the head of it. The documentary set out to find out what Opus Dei really is, from the eyes of those who are part of it and those who were ex-members. Even featuring one writer who wrote about Opus Dei too. At least a documentary which talks about something very new to the outside world. Good change, but has it served justice for me who only first knew Opus Dei's existence thanks to The Da Vinci Code? Kind of.
At times as I watched, I was so mused at what occasionally mentioned in the book almost matches to what I saw in the documentary. I remembered before starting to read the book, I saw at the acknowledgement page that author Dan Brown had met two formerly and and three currently at Opus Dei and with they speaking on their experiences. For the almost truly free-thinker in me, it's all very new.
Now it's only left at the Arts Central's Da Vinci specials for the remaining few weeks on the slate of documentaries to be shown on Wednesdays. With the World Cup looming and the madness and mayhem coming soon, by the time it's practically about football in the house, the documentaries on the phenomeon and everything in between - will be more or less making the exit.
I am only wondering if those on Arts Central I want to watch, will it clash with my father's football viewing schedule by then. Ha.