They are through, they are through. With three qualifying matches in hand, Germany became the first national team to be part of the Euro 2008 party. Mathematically, a point is all they need to see them through. The trip to Croke Park sealed their fate against the Irish. I will talk more about it later.
While it's understandable that the trip to Moscow is what many are talking about given of the whole artificial pitch issue, England has to beat Estonia at the Wembley first before it's time to start discussing about that. On paper, it should be no problem for the 'Three Lions' given firstly - the last they met: 3-0 to England and secondly, Estonia is second from bottom in the qualifying group (Group E) and are already out of contention. How did it went away? As according to plan: three more points in the bag.
And...it's fifth consecutive 3-0 scoreline in England's Euro 2008 qualifiers. Though this time, the third one is a 'gift' from Estonia. When the commentator said: the all-too familar scoreline, my father and I cracked up. The match was on Star Sports and it was an early kickoff. Close to 10pm last night over here. Singapore time, that is.
Yes, I did watched the match. But also reading the papers at the same time. I want to witness the match from start to end. I slept through the first three times when the 3-0 scoreline happened, and I witnessed only the third goal when they beat Russia at the Wembley last month. The friendly match between old rival Germany in August don't really count (that was 2-1 to Germany). In fact, the England-Estonia match was more or less settled before the end of the first-half. Given when the second-half came on, it was not really as exciting but still with the usual near-misses and stuff.
Now on with Russia on Wednesday. It will be early Thursday morning here by then. Half of my smile is back, after the victory over Estonia. With Croatia beating Israel 1-0, qualification is within reach for the current Group E leaders. England is still second.
The England-Estonia match ended near midnight and I went to bed - for two hours (I went to bed again after the Ireland-Germany match ended). When the Ireland-Germany match is not being shown on the cable (the Germany-Czech Republic match on early Thursday morning here will be on), I have to turn to internet streaming. Crossing my fingers (maybe not literally) and hoping nothing serious happened (that is, no one from my parents' room waking up and spoiling my entire plan of watching Germany in action). It didn't, eventually.
When I managed to find the internet streaming, there was already a preview show. And it was then I wished I know more German. Given the original source was from one of Germany's public TV channels. For a moment, it slipped out of my head. The channel name, that is. I know the name actually! While I sit in front of the computer screen and listened (or at least pretending) to the presenters talking, Michael Buble's 'Feeling Good' came on (I was surprised) and it's all about goalkeeper Jens Lehmann. I know...he was being shown and even at times, national coach Joachim Loew.
Sigh. What even internet translations cannot help. I can only just look at the computer screen. While later on there's other short previews as well (about Ireland and its national squad), the atmosphere from Croke Park really blew me away. Whatever I had heard ahead of the match is true. So many Irish and German fans. Croke Park is traditionally the home of Irish sports and so of the historical significance.
After all the pomp and pageantry, it started. If match reports are anything to go by, the match was 'lacklustre'. 0-0 eventually (this was despite near-misses). As far as I know from the start, I already had the feeling that it will be all-square. A draw. Don't ask why. The Irish are known for their fighting spirit and it's something one can never underestimate.
Being very torn here actually. I like to see Ireland qualify together with Germany (Czech Republic is second and is Germany's next opponent on Wednesday), but then...it's not. I know, there are some on the Ireland squad whom I recognise given they play in the Premier League (I am being selfish now...ha!). Ireland's still third and are now unlikely to join the Euro 2008 party. Only two from each qualifying group advance.
And Scotland's fairytale run continues. Winning 3-1 over Ukraine at Hampden Park. But with bookings, injuried and everything in between, it may be a little tough. Still, ever since Scotland became the surprise leaders, anything is possible. Not many had given the Tartan Army a chance from the start with the group that has also got France and Italy. Not even...me. But then, everyone loves a fairytale.
Never in the history of German football, has its national team ever qualify for a tournament...with three matches to spare. The last three matches are going to be played at home: against Czech Republic, Cyprus and Wales. Other than Cyprus's unpredictableness (I mean, they managed to draw 1-1 with Germany when they last met), it should be alright for Germany. The clash with the Czech Republic is one exciting prospect (2-1 to the Germans the last time round and I shall say it again: it's my personal favourite match from the national team since the end of the World Cup last year).
Ah. Welcome to the Euro 2008 party, boys.