Sunday, November 18, 2007

Believing

I almost wanted to scream. With excitement. Though I was watching the Germany-Cyprus match on internet streaming (match report coming later and by the way, it was 4-0 to the Germans), I had opened another window and it was the Eurosport website's text commentary of the Israel-Russia match. All this and more in the wee hours of this morning.

How many times my heart was in my mouth as I was awaiting for updates from the commentary. 'Yes!' was the only thing I can think of after the goal which happened in the injury time when the final scoreline reads: Israel 2-1 Russia. I almost cried, with happiness. Had it been a Russian win, Euro 2008 qualification is totally out of England's hands even before the final match against Croatia at the Wembley this Wednesday begin. Even a draw in Israel means that we have to look at other possibilities. But then later on as I found out that already-qualified Croatia lost to Macedonia at home (2-0), the door for England to qualify has been open again once more. But on Wednesday, concentration is the thing the squad needs before...yeah. I don't want to say it.

It was the first thing I wanted to tell my father who is in Sweden for work. He was still in mid-air when all the action happened. When he called earlier from his hotel room, Israel's win over Russia became the highlight of our conversation (other than him saying how's the weather like over in Sweden) and Scotland's heart-breaking exit at the hands of the Italians in the extra-time.

I admit (I know, being the one who does not give up till the very end), I had already prepared for the worst ahead of the Israel-Russia match. But then thinking of Israel's good home record did lifted my spirits a little. And the first thing which I did when I was online early this morning was to find out about Scotland's Euro 2008 fate. I almost went this after reading from the Eurosport website - Oh no... The only feeling I have even when watching the highlights of the Scotland-Italy match on the news - gutted.

Okay, I will have like to see Scotland and France (they did, without even kicking a ball) advance. I know it was only yesterday or something I found out that Italy never entered the 1984 European Championships after winning the World Cup two years earlier. But it never influenced me. I know it was partly a personal reason not to see Italy qualify (the World Cup semi-finals between Germany and Italy...how I was feeling gutted that my new favourite team is out). But in life, you can never get everything you want.

Match reports and everything in between before I sign off for now...what a day.

Italy breaking Scottish hearts (and ahem, mine) at the last minute - Scots Euro 2008 dreams crushed by Italy injury time winner

Alex McLeish knows who to blame for his side's exit (answer in the article) - Scotland's McLeish slams Italy's winner

...and later on being philosophical about it - Scotland can learn from Euro failure, says McLeish

What does his counterpart feel of the match - Donadoni hails Italy's fantastic achievement, Donadoni dreaming of emulating great AC Milan mentality

Israel's injury-time win over Russia giving England a major boost (with me celebrating, at least for now) - England's Euro 2008 hopes boosted by Israel win over Russia

...and what does England coach Steve McClaren make of that - England breathe sigh of relief over Israeli lifeline in Euro 2008 soccer

France qualifies without kicking a ball ahead of Ukraine match - France celebrate Euro 2008 place with champagne

Croatia qualified despite losing at home to Macedonia - Croatia lose but qualify for Euro 2008

...and how the squad is looking ahead of the meeting with England at the Wembley on Wednesday - Croatia would be happy with Wembley draw, says Bilic

Germany back to winning ways after the loss to the Czechs last month (I watched the match and I should know) - Podolski roars back to life as Germany beat Cyprus, Poldi Goal Show Restores Germany's Confidence

Spain qualifies (and thus easing pressure off national coach Luis Aragones) - Spain grow in confidence with Euro 2008 qualification, Spain end Euro 2008 qualifying pain with win over Sweden

Poland made history by qualifying for the first time - Poland beat Belgium to clinch Euro finals debut

Holland join Romania in their qualifying group and earning the Euro 2008 ticket - Koevermans pushes Dutch over line

As of now, six more countries had joined the Euro 2008 party. Poland, France, Italy, Spain, Croatia and Holland. Austria and Switzerland qualified as co-hosts. Germany became the first to qualify after the goalless draw in Ireland last month. Then Greece,Romania and the Czech Republic joined in. Four more places up for grabs to complete the 16-team tournament. I am looking at you, England.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...