Saturday, September 09, 2006

Round-up towards the weekend

Hear, hear! Like what I always tell my father whenever if there's news-worthy report from the TV news (more towards the sports side, that is), there seemed to be a whole lot of news and stuff and maybe fringe events from me for all ahead of the weekend. Saturday now, and also like my most favourite day of the week.

I don't know if I even indirectly mentioned here before, I feel like a field reporter of sorts before even updating my blog. Keeping up with the news no matter is it from the TV, papers, Internet or the Teletext, is always a good thing. But one thing's for sure - the Euro 2008 qualifiers which happened from the last time I updated the blog, is the 'main' headliner for me.

Macedonia 0-1 England, France 3-1 Italy, Northern Ireland 3-2 Spain, San Marino 0-13 Germany...those will be the ones I will be talking about. England passing their 'first-ever' test away from home, the Les Bleus even more determined to put the ghosts of World Cup 2006 behind them, Spain losing to...Northern Ireland?, and what a goal-scoring record for Germany and Euro qualifiers too!

Since Steve McClaren became the new England boss, the Three Lions (the nickname for the England squad) had been moving to a better era. But, with it's understandable how Greece had been since their maiden Euro victory two years back, England's international friendly with Greece got off to a nice start. The grouping for the Euro 2008 qualifiers came before the World Cup and England were in luck, provided they don't produce a shock somewhere along the line. Meeting Andorra may be 'a walk in the park' (or so my father said before) given the population, but some had pointed out that the one against Macedonia on an away soil is the first 'real' test for McClaren. Macedonia had proven before they can be formidable when up against the usual big boys (drawing before with England). It was a sigh of relief for me after I read the match report.

Some say it's a re-match from the World Cup final, some say it's not. But anyhow, a new dawn had arrived for the champions and the runner-up. I still kind of see it as 'revenge' though. Yeah, the 'romantics' fan. Alliez Les Bleus! I was humming (and singing) 'Deck The Halls' once more. To say I actually don't really fancy Northern Ireland when they meet Spain, I was wrong. England was their previous casualty. If they can beat these two big boys, they can beat just about anyone in their tracks now...

Given after I did some reading of San Marino on Wikipedia, I know I am expecting some goals when Germany meet them. But...not as much as, 13. Total goal-fest. I was stunned. But well, the 'debate' over even whether tiny nations like Andorra, San Marino should even qualify for Euro matches had started to come out. For someone like me, it's an 'excuse' to go 'hunting' the world map once more for searching those nations. It's just never enough. Anyhow, I guess I may need to resort to maybe subscribing to e-newsletters in Germany's qualifying route to (neighbours) Austrai and Switzerland soon. The CAT course has already begun to take a 'toil' on me. I don't want to be a Germany fan for nothing, other than England.

Suntec City and Convention Centre had been in high gear for the IMF/World Bank meetings next Wednesday and it had been evident. Checks, checks and more checks leading to the venue itself. What those who are involved are going to expect. The faux pas to be avoided, and so on. I wonder how the world will see us once more. Too clockwork-wise, like the Swiss?

How's this for thought - Google has a new service in the form of Google way to three centuries ago. Quite a novel idea! Total haven for me. Whee. Trying searching for an article from the Victorian era...maybe it can happen one day.

Arts Central's Child Of Our Time on last Thursday as usual, gave me a stark awakening on what my life might had been in my early years. The episode of 'Identity Crisis' was the feature. The subjects (the kids, that is) are starting to see themselves differently. When one is five years of age, can he or she start to form perceptions of the people around them? If the episode on last Thursday is anything to go by, maybe. The reason why stereotyping of various races of people around the world still happened (since the beginning of time), maybe it's the way how we are being influenced from young.

I got a surprise this morning after I woke up. DW's (Deustche Welle) Euromaxx was on CNA. Back then, Euromaxx was the only gateway for me to know more about Europe. And for some time, it was not on CNA till I woke up this morning.

So many news, so little time. There are more but, till then, have a good day. See everyone soon.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...