It's the eve of Christmas and I had almost forgot about it this morning. It must had really slipped off my mind. But then it was unintentional because of the amount of class tests I had been having.
Somehow somewhat, it was like a time of reflecting and sending good wishes all around in the Life! section of The Straits Times and in the Review section too. I know normally such things does happen on Christmas but then maybe not much on a grand scale. Still, it's always a time to reflect on what's been shaking the world in 2005, whether good or bad, the strange or the very queer. Speaking of reflecting, you know what is like one of my all-time favourite Christmas tune? I am not saying about the usual carols and songs everyone know here. It's...Last Christmas. Okay, go on and laugh. It was actually originally sang by Wham. Haha, I know my sources. Because, it's always a feel-good feeling to listen to that song.
I will continue with my reflections of 2005. I thought better go along with themes will be easier to sort it out. It will be about natural disasters and charities for today.
Definitely this year, one of the biggest things which happened to Earth is the scale of natural disasters and the after-effects like charities for example. It only took a Boxing Day tsunami on 2004 which 'set the stage' of what's to come. Even more, like Hurricane Katrina which literally brought America on its feet since 9/11. And it even exposed on the Bush administration and the international reactions to how the Americans deal with a hurricane in their backyard. The time where America's dominance on the international stage is being tested since 9/11.
We see a lot of charities, big or small, all coming forward to help out in natural disasters big or small. But then when a charity organisation's management can go out of hand, it's not something everyone will like. It will become a breach of trsut with the public and mending it will take a very long time. I am talking about the NKF situation here. It started with a Straits Times article about the golden toilet bowl within the NKF premises which led to a lawsuit in July and the public outrage later. Measures had already been put into place and yes, it will take a long time for Singaporeans to accept that the NKF is doing what it supposed to be doing all along. And just on Monday the audit report came out and the public is being reminded again of the saga just when the Christmas is decending upon us. But what shocking revalation is - only 10% of whatever Singaporeans had been donating all these time only goes to the patinents. How can you not expect many got shook up again, like my dad? He had already long know that something's wrong and he was right.
I had always believed in the spirit of giving wherever possible myself and naturally, I was disgusted at the report findings. It's all up to oneself to think what they should do next from here.
By the way, happy holidays to all in advance.